Drinks at Sirocco (SkyBar) or Vertigo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've read on this forum, it sounds like we'd be better off eating dinner elsewhere, but I would like to have drinks at one of these on enjoy the amazing views while we're in BKK in April! Is one superior to the other in terms of service, views, etc. or is it pretty much 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other?
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 06:20 PM

i think the view from sky bar is superior, but there are dress requirements there which might stop some....i would not eat up there, but i would go again for a drink, albeit expensive...it is unique
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Definitely have drinks at the Sky Bar. It's spectacular. And if you want a "deluxe" restuarant I'd go to either Lord Jim or China House at the Oriental which is just a short walk away. If you're into jazz you can end the evening at the Bamboo Bar at the Oriental listening to jazz.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 07:47 AM

A friend and I went to the Skybar a couple of weeks ago and it was a truly spectacular sight and the views are drop dead gorgeous. If you are afraid of heights, as I am, make sure you stay on the side of the bar that is closest to the bar as it is a long way down! The drinks are expensive but it is worth it for the view. We actually also ate dinner at Sirroco and while very expensive the food was actually very good and the service was also very had good. We had a each loin of Kobe beef and then shared fois gras and mushroom ravioli appetizers and it was all very good and the portions were huge--even the beef. Dinner with two drinks and desert each was about $400USD without wine--the wine was tremendously overpriced. We did not go to Vertigo so I cannot comment on it but I would say that you cannot go wrong at Skybar/ Sirroco. Enjoy.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 08:46 AM

You can eat MUCH better in Bangkok than at Sirocco for a lot less money. I ate there once and found the food good but definitely NOT worth it. Go for the drink and eat elsewhere.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 08:50 AM

We would love to visit the sky bar for a drink when we are in Bangkok in April, but we'll have 2 teenagers with us.
Does anyone know if they will be allowed in to have a soft drink?
(they'l be 16 and 17)

Thanks
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Wow--thank you all so much for the great responses! SkyBar for drinks it is!
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 10:29 AM

Deborah
It seems that question was asked here recently, maybe six months ago. I cannot find the exact thread, but it seems the answer was "yes" the children are allowed. Appropriate dress at Sky Bar is essential. Make sure everyone is in smart casual!!! The view is spectacular. Enjoy.

Carol
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 10:29 AM

DeborahAnn712...When you get to Bkk give skybar a call and ask about the age limit. If you went early it may not be a problem. When you find out, post, so we will know for the future.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Thankyou Simpsonc510 and kmkrnn for your speedy responses. Fingers crossed, we may be able to go.
Will let you know after our visit when we know for sure.

Thank you again
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 01:29 PM

There is no doubt that there is better food in Bangkok for a much lower price as Glorialf mentioned but eating outside on the 62nd floor with that few is pretty cool. There were definitely a couple of teenagers having dinner with their parents and so my guess is that it will not be a problem to have them stand near the bar as the restaurant flows into the bar. With that said, I found e-mailing Sirroco to be very effective and they responded within a day so I am sure they will let you know one way or another. The posting about smart casual is dead-on as we saw some folks trying to come up the elevator just to get a look and they were turned away--they had t-shirts and sandals on which is not accepted.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 07:28 PM

there is a starbucks on the ground floor, you could just leave the kids there while you dash up for a drink
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 12:51 AM

That sounds a good (and cheaper) option rhkkmk!!!