Dressmaker in BKK - Paulina's?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read through the posts in this forum and see Cotton House and other tailors for women mentioned -- but a friend was very happy with a shop called Pauline's (or Paulina's) near one of the big hotels. I've seen the dresses she got - lovely work. Does anyone recognize this shop or know anything about it? (Friend is away, and I am leaving for BKK before she returns) Thanks!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:35 AM

I'm sure I've seen it but can't tell you where it is. I think it is either in River City or on one of the streets near the Oriental Hotel.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:33 AM

i just got my new issue of the treasurers and pleasurers of thailand yesterday---its a great shopping aide book....the shop is not listed in it...sorry
you might try contacting nancy chandler's office....they are very good at getting back to you with inquiries....she has a web-site....her shopping map is a great help in bkk and chiang mai....
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:35 AM

you may have seen my previous posts, but my wife prefers js thai silk in the river city shopping complex...they are on the ground floor at the sheraton end of the building, opposite the information booth and the up escalator...small shop....we see ms yai there...
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. Rhkkmk, I have read your posts and logs and found them very helpful! But having seen this store's product, I thought I would check. I THINK it is near the Oriental Hotel as glorialf suggests. I will have fun looking...
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:07 AM

I have not found Treasures and Pleasures helpful regarding tailors. Frankly, the names haven't changed much since the book first came out. I used a couple that she suggested and found them way more expensive and not nearly as good as either JS Silk or Cotton House.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 10:26 AM

cotton house is directly in back of the oriental, so maybe this is in the same mini-mall....the name is familiar to me...there are tons of tailors in that neighborhood...

gloria---we still love treasurers, sorry you don't...i know of no other guide with this slightly upscale bearing...as i said the new one came yesterday and i find it totally updated---its not a "now" guide but rather a tried and true guide, imo....i find nancy chandler almost impossible to use...its too confusing, but i do buy new ones as they are printed...i find her web site quite helpful however and the staff in the office are very responsive...
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 02:40 AM
CFW

In preparing for our trip we bought Nancy Chandler's map, and had difficulty following it. It seemed too cluttered. After we got to Bangkok, however, it all made sense to us, and we used it extensively not only for shopping, but also to find our way around to various sights and restaurants.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 02:42 AM
CFW

Iskohn, If you find Paulina's please post! I loved Cotton House, but always good to know of another tailor who does good work.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 04:50 AM

For some reason I don't think Paulina's is in Oriental Place. I have a feeling it's on one of the streets near it.

As for Pleasures and Treasures, I like it for some things but not for tailors. And, personally, I think it is better for Chiang Mai than for Bangkok.

The first time I used the Nancy Chandler maps I thought they were impossible. Now I LOVE them. First, because they are so up to date and because they often lead me to places that are wonderful and are never mentioned in guidebooks. I also love the fact that the website has monthly updates.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 06:44 PM

gloria---have you ever been to their office/shop or to the shop in the night market??