Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Unusual jewelry in Bangkok or Chiang Mai

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a recommendation for a place where we can get reasonably priced, creatively designed and unsual jewelry? Not necessarily looking for "gems". I know there are places that are doing interesting things with silver but wonder if you know someplace that does creative things with gold. Sort of like the stuff Lotus sells but a LOT cheaper and a bit more conservative.

Thanks
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 05:46 AM

Gorg Jenson makes some cool jewlary... then there's Bvlguri..

creative/unusual and conservative. hmm

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 06:57 AM

I think the above poster means Georg Jensen...which is usually expensive. I lived summers in Denmark for twenty years...where Georg Jensen comes from... and it's high end jewelry.If you like stones...not high end jewels...usually beautiful Brazilian stones done in necklaces in Thai style then check out a store called January.I bought three necklaces there which are gorgeous for 2500 Baht,4,000 Baht, and 5,000 baht...this was just a few weeks ago. There is one in the shopping center past the Oriental Hotel when you get off the public boat at Oriental Pier...I think the shopping center is called OCC..This one is my favorite... Then there's one in the World Trade Center...renamed to the Central World Plaza...and the last one is in the River City Shopping center next to the Royal Orchid hotel.This one is my second choice. There is another gorgeous jewelry store in the River City Mall...can't remember the name, but it's the only store that uses projector lighting to display its name on the ground in front of the store...easy to find...just look down. Their jewelry is gorgeous. While in there ask them if they know where other stores you're interested in are. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm staying at the Oriental and have bought a lot of jewelry over the years at both Oriental Place (have bought at both January and Amour there)and River City. The friend I'm going with in December likes really unique jewelry and I was wondering if there were stores that I should send her since I tend to go to the same places over and over again. But I certainly only want things that are made by asian designers.(My friend and I both own Jensen jewelry which is easily purchased at any antique show here.)

Thanks

Old Sep 21st, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 11:38 PM

Kathie always recos her jeweler SJ Intl. Friends of mine picked up stiff from somewhere much smaller Uthai.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 09:23 AM

There's a shop on the first floor of River City where my wife bought a neclace that she loves. It has no jewels, but is an interesting arrangement of orange flat stones. She reports that it receives many compliments. I suspect that the store may be revisited on our return in November.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:44 AM

I don't know that SJ would have what you are looking for. I mostly buy stones or jewelry with stones.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Kathie -- I looked at SJ's website and, you're right,it's not really what we're looking for although the jewelry looked lovely. But it's clearly about the stones which we're not looking for.

Thanks anyway.