Search

Dress Code

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dress Code

Would it be out of line to wear shorts while in Japan?

Thanks
Bob
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 01:15 PM

i think you can wear whatever you want as long as you feel its in good taste, and you are comfortable. i was in japan a few weeks ago, and spent a 12 hour day in tokyo in shorts without seeing another soul in shorts. never wore them again.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Depends on what you do, when you go, and how old you are.

Basic sightseeing in late July and August for young travelers (read that early 20's and under) may feel comfortable in shorts. Men may be more comfortable than women. Everyone tends to be less casual than you would see in the states or Europe.

Generally, you only see people in shorts at the beach or for sporting events or at the sports club. As a tourist, you don't have to follow that trend. My husband, who is American, and lives in Japan, wears shorts to walk to work every day then changes once he gets there. He doesn't care.. .it's hot...but I often hear the comment "I saw your husband today walking...he's the guy with the shorts and the iPod, right?" Wearing shorts makes him stand out more than being just a foreigner I think.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I haven't seen my early 20's in 30 years LOL.
During the summer I always wear shorts but going to a different culture I wasn't sure if it was proper or not.

Bob
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:52 AM

In the height of summer, it's not unusual to see men (mainly) of all ages wearing shorts when sightseeing or doing leisure activity (like hiking, at Disneyland). You don't see it much while they are at work or in Tokyo. Shorts you see are mainly longer, bermuda length rather than short athletic or tennis type.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the replies, I have one more question.
When going into Temples or Shirnes are shorts allowed. I know when we were in Europe you could not wear shorts in the Churches, is it the same for Temples.

Bob
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 04:48 PM

TOPPING
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Haven't yet made it to Japan, Bob, so will happily defer to anyone who knows better. However, extrapolating from SE Asian experience I would assume that wearing shorts into a temple would be considered disrespectful and not OK. Likewise bare shoulders, midriff etc. for women. My default position on this one would be, "if in doubt, don't". Good taste is another issue and subjective. I would agree with another poster that if you want to draw attention to yourself you could do worse than wear shorts .

Old Jun 12th, 2004, 04:08 AM

If you are going to a tourist temple in Japan in summer, no-will will look down on you for wearing shorts, though only people in the younger age group (say, under 40) would wear them. How you behave inside a temple, where many Japanese offer prayers, is more important than dress.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 01:07 PM

I have been living in Tokyo for the last three years and I am now moving to Shanghai in July. (I am an expat with a home in Michigan)
Tokyo, one does not see shorts being worn even in the hottest weather. Women wear skirts and men long pants. Except, on Sundays, where I have seen men wear shorts when going to hike or to Disney or some such place outside of Tokyo.
You can wear shorts in the temples and shrines if you wish. There is a different attitude here about these places then in Thailand or in Europe. As a Westerner, the Japanese accept you as that and don't expect you to be the exact same way as they are! LOL
I will say, that in August I have gone out on the trains, (I live close to the Yamanote Line) in long dress walking shorts with a polo top and loafers on my feet, so I am still sort of dressed up.
If I go hiking or out to Kamakura, then put on my "tennis shoes". <BG>
You will have fun. Let me know your thoughts when you return. Japan is such a great place and I will miss it so much. [email protected]
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the information. Having never travelled to Asia I wasn't sure of the dress code.

Bob