Dog killings at UTTAR PRADESH

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please take action and write your protest to the shown email addresses.

Be aware the pictures are distrubing, to say the least.

http://meerut-incident.synthasite.com/

Thank you!

SV
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 03:00 PM

I have been to Meerut and have a lot of family that lives in Uttar Pradesh state. The stray dog population is an ongoing problem in India (so is the corrupt government of Uttar Pradesh). It's terrible that they are being beaten and killed as the article depicts. Typically they are just ignored unless the dog becomes aggressive.

If the Indian government had an effective plan in place for dealing with the millions of stray animals, things would be much better for the people and the animals.

On the flip side, the chances of any of the public officials doing anything meaningful to end the actions of these abusers are next to nil. Things in India get done when cash changes hands.

Do send in a message if you can. It might help to add that this story is being seen in the US. They may be somewhat motivated by public embarassment if nothing else.

Please post if you get a reply!
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 05:26 PM

Oh dear, at first I thought this was a post about Dogster!
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 09:12 PM

The pictures are thought provoking. This madness & cruelity must stop. It has no place in the modern civilised world.
Having said that I would also like to add that these dogs have become a menace to Indian society.
Every village or a group of villages have common land called 'Hudda Rohr' where the members of the erstwhile depressed classes, would throw the remains of dead cattle after removal of pelt. With in no time the vultures would pick them clean, leaving a few splinters for the dogs. The vultures have gone extinct & consequently the population of pariah dogs have increased by about 30%. These dogs on account of feeding on raw meat have become aggressive, biting unsuspecting villagers & milch cattle. These are breeding outrageously. Every year 20 to 30,000 people die of rabbies in India. These are a danger to environment for the dogs have devoured wildlife as well. On the local golf course these monsters have killed and partly eaten a small boy who would caddie, all for Rs. 30/- which he would dutyfully deposit with his mother as his contribution to the meagre resources of the family! In various Indian villages these dogs have bitten & killed young kids going to school. No wonder such ferocity of reaction as seen in the pictures.
What are the options? Not many I am afraid. It is the duty of the local govt. to keep their numbers under control. But given to populism driven policies, the treasuries are empty & it costs money to sterlise dogs or to have state run kennels.
The NGO's would do better to look into it than providing a few coats at 'visible' places.
The situation needs to be dealt with effectively & not emotively.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 10:17 PM

We have the same problem in Thailand and the non tagged dogs are being rounded up in the big cities. I think they stay in a temporary compound and then are exterminated or culled if nobody adopt them. The roads in Thailand often act as a culling centre for strays as well!
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 09:52 AM

I am alive LA - but I'd cull me, if I could catch me.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 09:29 PM

Hello,
In Hanoi dogmeat is a delicacy. Don't get me wrong the pictures are disturbing but in North America we butcher cows and pigs. Just because we decide one animal is cute and lovable does it make it any more horrific?