India on The Amazing Race

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2003, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my God !! Are there starving children on every street? Why isnt the government putting these kids into homes and helping them. Dont yell at me but seriously why dont they put birth control into the water until they can get the population under control. Allowing innocent children to be born into a life of living on the streets is a sin.
All children deserve our love and attention. What can we do about this?
We have our homeless here in the USA but this was far worse.

Are the trains really packed like that?
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 06:25 PM

I think the way the media portrays India is sad. Yes, there is a lot of poverty, there are animals on the street, the trains and buses are packed but the media never portrays the beauty of this vast country. I've travelled to many parts of Europe, Asia, the Caribbean, Canada and the States and can honestly say India is one of the most beautiful countries I?ve visited. No where else will you find the diversity that this country has to offer.
It?s a shame more people don't visit it... for it?s fascinating culture, some of the friendliest people in the world, amazing history and architecture. And it's really cheap for those from the West. I hope you get to travel there one day, and experience it yourself.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 03:00 PM

Being a nepali and having been to india for years at a time, i can honestly say that its not as bad as it seems. i know that sounds incredebly cold, BUT hear me out. it isnt like every single girl and boy do not have shelter or food. alot of other countries have been helping india and countries with the similar problem. also, hindu temples give shelter and food to kids, BUT i know that isnt enough. as for "seriously why dont they put birth control into the water until they can get the population under control" i think you kno why that is kinda well, completely out of the question, come on! usually the parents of the children do not leave the children, most often, they die and that usually isnt their fault. and the children are usually planned and arent "mistakes" which can happen often in america, but "mistakes" like that are very rare in india. (not to make the USA sound bad or anything) so in conclusion, the number of cases of homeless kids in india and in the USA are not the same, i give you that, but they are homeless different reasons. ((( sorry if it sounds like i m yelling or anything, its just something i can relate to ))) oh yea, the buses and trains are very crowded but if you are used to it, its not that bad, i cant remember how many times i have gotten onto a crowded bus during rush hour. You have to understand that people coming from india are pretty amazed at alot of things in american (in some places in india, the idea of having a washing machine sounds stupid when they think of how they could do it them selvs and spend the money on more important things), the government would NOT be welcomed. there are countless numbers of signs that read "USA, keep out of our lives!" and "USA, we dont need your charity" try to look at it frm their point of view
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 07:01 PM

The media does portray India poorly but there certainly is a lot of poverty. India is a beautiful country, but it is also a country that has a long way to go. There are children scavenging through rubbish piles for food and many people sleeping in the streets. There are children dying because their parents can't afford the US$1 auto fee to take the child to hospital. The beauty and diversity of the country cannot change things like this.

Putting birth control in the water is very extreme and very unfair. No one has the right to do that. I do agree that something needs to be done to slow the population growth but that is definitely not it.

India is a great place to visit, the experience of a lifetime. But don't get so caught up in the culture that you forget the harsh reality of poverty. I'm an Australian living in India so I see this reality daily.

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 12:29 AM

I saw the first episode of 'Amazing Race' by chance, am now hooked! It actually is probably a more realistic travel guide then any fancy travel program! It shows the reality of travel.
Sure India has serious poverty, it also has some marvelous places to see and is a truly fascinating country to visit.
The fact is that the majority of people in the world are very poor. Poverty affects billions, but news bulletins never bring this into rerality, this program showed the reality.
Staying in a 4 star hotel on a guided tour shows some insight, the fact remains that poverty in much of the world is way beyond the comprehension of most people. Access to something such as an aspirin let alone anti-biotics is out of the reach of most people.
Hence you get these huge political and business issues such as generic drug licensing etc where a poor country can simply produce medicines cheap but are not allowed to under threat of sanctions.
The poster from Nepal is right that India has so much beauty, my own opinion is that if the exports from these countries generated a 'fair price' then many of the poorer countries would be better off. They have littler money because they are paid a pitance for the goods they produce when compared with the prices they have to pay for 'western goods'. This perhaps starts in a small way to explain the demonstrations you see every time the World Bank or IMF have meetings! There 'should be enough wealth for everyone'.
That's enough from me!!
The great benefit of travel is the more people can experience other countries the more we all learn and the more we can understand other places. It is good to know that a lot of people who travel DO have a concern about the places they visit and the people. I wish some politicians could travel like they had to on the Amazing Race instead of sitting in luxury!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:53 PM
TC

JandaO: I was appalled with the plight of children in India, too. That is why my family has sponsored a child from India for years. In fact, we've sponsored three different children over the course of our own daughter's growing up.

I was surprised to learn just how little it takes to make a big difference. For example: through the program we sent $800 to our child's family a few years ago. With this money they built a house. We worked via email with the local project director to find out how much a house would cost. The young girl had written that her family inherited a piece of property but could not build on it because all their money went to rent. We thought we would make a small contribution toward a house fund for them. I couldn't believe it when he wrote back that for only $800 they could build a nice stucco-type home with tile roof, electricity and running water.

We also sent $50 another time so one of the sisters could buy a sewing machine and start her own tayloring business. She had learned how to sew in school, but couldn't gather the money for a machine. She is now able to support herself and contribute to the family as well.

I tell you these things not to sound smug, but to show how very little it takes to make a big difference.

If you would like to help in the life of a child in India (or anywhere else), consider the CCF (Christian Children's Fund) in Richmond, Virgnia. They've been around for a long time and are a very reputable charity. I'm certain there are other equally good programs to help.

You are right - children deserve our love and attention.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 09:39 AM

JandaO -

I think you should send your opinions to our Commander-in-Chief.

You said, "Dont yell at me but seriously why dont they put birth control into the water until they can get the population under control. Allowing innocent children to be born into a life of living on the streets is a sin."

I completely agree. However, Dubya, in a fit of compassionate conservatism, took it upon himself in his first week in office to cut out all aid to any country that offered abortions or information on them. It was his father (I believe) that had a gag order on all institutions that provided the same in the US.

Unless rich countries, specifically the US, start being more humnane, it will be hard for countries such as India to get any better.