Do I smell coup #2366?

Aug 26th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Do I smell coup #2366?

Holy crapola. WHAT is going on in BKK?

It's thrilling to read about--and I assume that, like the 2006 coup, you wouldn't know any of this is happening--but it sounds crazy that thousands have invaded the PM's compound.

Any reports from the ground? Carol? Hanuman?
Aug 26th, 2008, 08:18 PM

I, too would like to hear from those on the ground in Bangkok. Since Hanuman is in Paris (or is it London?) and Michael BKK is in Bali, Carol may have to be our local source.

For those who haven't seen anything about it: www.iht.com/articles/2008/08/26/asia/thai.php
Aug 26th, 2008, 08:28 PM

According to two colleagues currently in Bangkok now, the activities at the PM's compound are not affecting daily life in any way. Yes, it may be coup 2336, but like Italian governments in the 60s and 70s, life goes on just the same....
Aug 26th, 2008, 08:35 PM

it seems it just more of the same thing...positioning...

carol is "in full control" so fodorites have full advantage to shop as much as they want and to eat and swim to hearts content!!!
Aug 26th, 2008, 09:41 PM

What can I say... it's Bangkok! Ahhhhh, Bangkok. Life is going on pretty much as usual everyday. I have not seen or heard anything out of the ordinary. However, I was out of town yesterday when the big "riot" (large shouting crowd) demanded the Prime Minister's resignation. The taxi driver told Maeng and I (as we returned from our CM day trip) that there had been a few streets closed off. I shall try to get a BKK Post and Nation so I can read all about it and tell you what's going on.

Soi 8 is its usual self.....

Carol
Aug 28th, 2008, 01:39 AM

The Prime Minister has not resigned (that I know of) and as far as I know, the protestors are still occupying some government buildings. There are warrants for arrest of about 6 of the leaders of the protestor group. They could be charged with treason...

Today, while in a taxi, the driver took the long way around (and NO I wasn't "taken for a ride" as Maeng was along) because of the protestors stopping traffic along some major streets.

I'm keeping my eye on the BKK Post and Nation newspapers as I don't watch Thai TV channels.

Carol
Aug 28th, 2008, 03:44 AM

Kathie I'm still in London until the weekend.

Here's my take on the situation. The army is a little gun-shy from the last coup and I don't know if they've got the gut to stage another so quickly. One day after the last coup all military aid, shipment and spare parts from the US were cut off grounding most of planes and helicopters.

It's still about allies of our former PM vs the PAD. The current PM I hear likes to hide in strange places(public toilets and army bases) when confronted with reporters or demonstrators.

If there's another coup and the inevitable post coup election, I still think the former will have control of the government again, one way or another. Oh what to do?
Aug 28th, 2008, 06:40 AM

Hi, Hanuman, thanks for your comments!
Aug 28th, 2008, 09:00 AM

(hi hanuman)

I had dinner with my friends (married couple, Thai and Danish) and the wife and I were talking about the situation. I guess I had assumed that the demonstrators were a small minority of people, but it sounds like they have a lot of support for their efforts from other people who are not involved in any way other than watching from the sidelines.

I know that Taksin still has a lot of support, but so does the group that wants to oust any Taksin gov't because of the alleged corruption.

I assume the demonstrators are still occupying some gov't buildings as I've not heard that the whole thing has yet ended. I'll have to check tomorrow's newspapers.

As I've said before, like on soi 8 goes on as if nothing else is happening!!

Carol
Aug 29th, 2008, 07:55 AM

The acting president of Airports of Thailand confirmed Friday evening that all flights to and from Phuket, Hat Yai and Krabi international airports were cancelled and the airports will be closed indefinitely.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/brea...ewsid=30081911