Slums of Bangkok

Search

Slums of Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slums of Bangkok

I love all the information on this board regarding the highlights of Bangkok that are not to be missed. However, missionaries to our church have several times talked to us about the slums of Bangkok and the deplorable conditions in which some people live.

During a visit to Bangkok last spring, our driver quickly passed through an area that almost took my breath away, but I have no idea where in the city we were located at that time. It was somewhere between the Pratunam Market area and the Rembrandt Hotel. He was trying to avoid traffic, so I do not know what circuitous route he was using.

So my question is this -- where are the slums of Bangkok? I understand the people there can really use our assistance, financial and otherwise.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:48 PM

believe it or not one really bad part of bkk, from a poverty point of view, is along the river....

there are sections all over town in fact, but often you never know it...also outside of town there are areas where people have been relocated from urban renewal areas i understand...
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:29 PM

Apparently one of the most notorious areas in Bangkok is Klong Toey. Even taxis are scared to go in - at least after dark. Father Joe is an American priest who does a lot of charity work in Bangkok around this area. More info here:
www.mercycentre.org
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, bkkmei. I think this is exactly what I was looking for. Yes, Father Joe... Meyers, I believe.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 04:53 PM

Yep...Klongtoey....that's the big slum...but I've seen some poverty situations that would make you loose sleep at night right out in the area near the weekend market. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 12:13 AM

A plug for the Sem Pringpuangkeo Foundation.

http://www.cmnet.co.th/drsem/eng/eback.htm

http://www.cmnet.co.th/drsem/donate/de.htm