Do I need vaccinations for Thailand?

Nov 10th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Do I need vaccinations for Thailand?

My husband and I are travelling to Thailand for three weeks at the begining of Jan. We will spend time at the beaches, in CM and BK. Our dr is no help with this sort of thing and from what I can tell from the cdc website we don't really HAVE to get any vaccinations. Is this right? We're up to date on tetnus and all the other usual shots required in the US, but we haven't had typhoid or hep a or any others. HELP!!
Thanks,
Jen
Nov 10th, 2005, 11:00 AM

You are correct, you do not have to have vaccination in order to enter Thailand. As you saw from the cdc website, some vaccines are advised. In addtion to routine vaccines such as tetanus, routine travelers vaccines such as Hep A and typhoid (both are food and water bourne illnesses) are advised.
Nov 10th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Hep A and B should be mandatory for everyone according to our local Health Clinic ! Both are very widespread in the US ! Now consider poor countries health care systems...

I took Typoid pills also - easy and quick ! For the relative low cost if you can afford it - why not !

Nov 10th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Yes. MAke sure you get Hep A shot if you intend on eating from the more unsanitary sources of food such as street vendors or in the rural parts of SEA. My GF picked up a mild form of hepatitis A from the rurual parts. She is doing fine now, but had to do a spinal tap, Cat scan and many blood tests ($$). Be careful!
Nov 10th, 2005, 04:35 PM

Note that the typhoid pills referred to by uk are the oral typhoid vaccine, which is good for 5 years (shots are only good for 2 or 3years).

Hep B is a blood and body fluids transmitted disease.
Nov 11th, 2005, 02:50 PM

Kathie is right on Hep B transmission - but simple cuts on people you intermingle with or who help you if you are hurt, even with the best intentions, (if they are b positive) may pass it on unwittingly. I suspect the majority of people are unaware of the health status in Asia. Blood and body fluids transmission of HepB is usually associated with sex issues - but its a much wider risk than that. If you get a Hep A shot get B too they come as combined option .

Steve