Help Bagkok guide and getting around

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just heard from Ratt, but I have one question regarding getting around Bangkok. Is it efficient to have a driver and guide or is it better to have a guide and get around by boat and public transport? We only have 3 1/2 days in bangkok and they are broken up. 2 of the 3 1/2 days are consecutive the others are at the beginning and end.

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 09:54 AM

You are better off with Ratt. While not a professional guide- she does know quite a bit about the sights. I would advise getting her services for the entire day (s) and let her take you to all the places you want to see. It will save you a lot of time and energy- she has cold towels and cold water for you- it makes a big difference after you have been schlepping around these Wats for hours on end to be able to sit down in an airconditioned car, with a cold towel and cold water. In a few minutes you are re-charged and ready to hit the next temple/wat/palace!
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 09:57 AM

I'm someone who loves having a driver because I hate heat and humidity and am rarely in a rush . I always have plenty of time in Bangkok and have been there 18 times so am not trying to cram every sight into a few days. If I'm stuck in traffic I can enjoy just talking to Ratt. If you do your reading, most places don't require a guide. Others consider a driver a waste.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 10:05 AM

Another way to look at it- many of you have traveled in Business Class, stayed at 5 Star properties- why not complete the experience with your own personal driver/guide- really its not that uncommon to have a personal driver in Asia. (those with the means of course)
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 06:35 PM

I don't know your whole Bkk itinerary but I would say use public transport for at least part of your stay. In 3.5 days you will otherwise just spend too much time navigating Bangkok's rather bad traffic. Use Ratt the day you want to go to the Grand Palace, Wat Pho and Wat Arun which are not well connected by train. Use the BTS to go to the Jim T house. You do not need a guide here as you perforce have to join a guided tour. The Night Bazaar and Chatuchak weekend flea market if either is on your itinerary are well connected by train. All shopping malls are on BTS stops.