Search

Disney Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2018, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disney Tokyo

We’re a family of four and want to go to Tokyo Disney next year. I am thinking that would be fun but not sure what other sites to see in Tokyo. We’re all adults, kids are 18 and 22, and well-traveled. Any help appreciated. Thank you.
Old Oct 30th, 2018, 08:31 PM

It depends on your interests, of course.

There are many aspects - arts, temples/shrines, castles, nature, hot springs, hiking, festivals, shopping, museums, gardens, folk crafts, pop culture, cuisine, and many more. It would help if you gave more info, not to mention how much time you are traveling and what season. For many first-timers, seeing the Sensoji Temple is almost carved in stone, along with the Nakamise Shopping Street. And if you are there from late winter to mid-spring, you are also in luck - you can see the "secret" garden there, Denboin. Very few make it there and it is extremely tranquil and nice, in spite of the mobs outside seeing the temple. Meiji Shrine is another popular place, and if you go on a Sunday, you can also see Harajuku nearby with the famous girls in their wild fashions.
Tokyo has a number of very beautiful traditional gardens as well - many going back centuries. I have seen all of them, and they are an often ignored gem of the city. Plus there are many places for their nice city views - the Sky Tree and Mori Bldg are some of the better ones, but also pricey. There are many others that are free.

One of the newer and mind-blowing places to see is the Mori Digital Art Museum. Really unforgettable, and you can spend hours there.

If you are in Japan for less than a week, I highly suggest you stay in the Tokyo area and not go too far away. Kyoto and Nara are also wonderful, but take a while to see and worth a longer visit in the country to make more worthwhile, unless you are really sure you will never return to Japan again, at the very least in the near or medium term future. But unless you have a big list of places in Tokyo you really want to see, there are many great day trips you can take - Nikko, Hakone, the Fuji 5 Lakes area, Karuizawa, Kusatsu, Izu, Kamamura/Enoshima, Kawagoe, Takao, Okutama, Yokohama, the Ushiku Great Buddha, Nokogiriyama, Minakami, Showa Kinen Park, and more. There are regional rail passes you can get for nearly all of them. A Tokyo Wide Pass might be a godsend.

I suggest you browse some comprehensive sites for more ideas - like the JNTO Tokyo Page, Japan Guide, as well as the Tokyo City Tourism page - it has lots of sights listed nowhere else.
Old Oct 30th, 2018, 11:04 PM

Disney Sea.

I went to Tokyo Disney Sea in Aug 2018 and loved it! I didn’t have time to also do Tokyo Disneyland, but then again, I’ve regularly been going to our original Disneyland since 2-3 years after it opened, in 1955, and when I was just a toddler. So, I thought I’d try out Disney Sea since it didn’t end up being built here, in L.A. area, as had been planned.

Have fun at the happiest place on earth! Smiles!

Happy Travels!