5 days in Tokyo, itinerary

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 days in Tokyo, itinerary

hi all.. we have 5 1/2 days in tokyo..2 adults an 2 teens(12 and 15)
this is the itinerary i have so far. anything i need to add or delete?
1:
Tsukiji, ginza, imperial Palace, Tokyo station. Akhibara

2:
Ueno, Asakusa, Sumida River, Shibuya, Rainbow Bridge, Odaiba, Shinjuku
Eve Roppongi

3:
Hase-Great Bhuddha, eve. Disney sea

4: Tokyo Dome, Sega Joyopolis, Sony Bldg.

5:....recap ..

5 1/2:
Harajuku
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:29 PM

I think you have way too much stuff in each day. For example, Odaiba/Rainbow Bridge is out near Disney, not near Shinjuku. You'll have to take into account that getting from place to place takes time, and Tokyo is huge.

Not sure where you are from, but consider if I said I was going to NYC, and I was going to shop 5th Avenue, the Met, Chinatown for dim sum, Statue of Liberty and a Broadway show...all in one day.

Disney Sea is a full day and night...lots to see and do, and the nighttime show over the water is very good. You should do Odaiba the day before like you have it, or after, but I'd also recommend spending a night in a Disney hotel (spendy) or one of the official hotels (more reasonable) right next to the park.

Certainly you can keep in mind all that you are interested, but also make your list in priority order and organize the top priorities that are near each other on the same day. Don't be the least bit surprised if you get through only 1 or 2 things each day.

Give yourselves time to enjoy the place, look around, relax, rather than frantically running around the city. You'll enjoy it more.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

thanks kim. we're actually in LA...we were just going to do disney sea at night. just for a few hrs, to check it out. its cheaper too!
should i should do odaiba on day 1? day 1 we're starting around 6am.

is day 2 rushing it also?, even without Odaiba?

and on day 3, can we stop at disney sea on the way back? or do i have to come back to Tokyo , then go?
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Couple of points

Sony Bldg is in Ginza, you can do it together.

Day 2, leave Ueno, Asakusa and Sumida River with the eve at Roppongi.

Rainbow bridge you can do together with Odaiba. Take the Yurikamome Monorail from Shimbashi to Odaiba. he Yurikamome New Transit Monorail runs between Shimbashi Station (JR Yamanote Line) and Ariake, a large tennis arena. For the price of the cheapest ticket, it's possible to go all the way to Ariake, sit on the train and then come back again.

En route there are some great views of the city. Look out for Tokyo Tower, the Hama- Rikyu Sunken Garden, the Nakajin Capsule Apartment Building, Rainbow Bridge, the Fuji Television Building, the Pallette Town Ferris wheel and Tokyo Big Sight Conference Centre. More info here. It's pretty big place to cover.

http://www.tokyoessentials.com/odaiba.html

When you go to Harajuku try to go to the Meiji shrine. It's a beautiful place.

Do remember that even if you set-out at 6am a lot of places would not be open.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

wow! fast.. thanks for the reply..now i've kind of have it like this:

1:Tsukiji, ginza, Sony Bldg.
imperial Palace, Tokyo station. Akhibara

2umida River, Shibuya, Shinjuku
Eve Roppongi, Ueno, Asakusa

3:
Hase-Great Bhuddha, eve. Disney sea

4: Tokyo Dome, Sega Joyopolis

5: Rainbow Bridge, Odaiba..and football match in eve.

5 1/2:
Harajuku
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:16 PM

OK...while I still think you are really packing it in, it looks better. I think if you keep in mind that you might not get to everywhere on your list and hit your priority things first each day, you'll find your pace.

Disney Sea is lovely at night, yes, cheaper. Depending on your days of visit though, they may not be selling evening only tickets. Best to check that in advance. On peak days, tickets sell out early in the day...but don't let that lead you to believe that the crowd won't be unbelievable. Waits for attractions can be over 2 hours. Fast passes run out.

I checked the first week in April, and they have after 6 passes for sale on weekdays, after 3 passes on weekends/holidays. Disney Sea closes at 10, so that only gives you 4 hours.,..but if that's what you've got, that's what you've got. You might want to plan out what you want to see there ahead of your visit. Journey to the Center of the Earth is very fun...we all love it. There is a new ride near the Indiana Jones...Raging Spirit maybe. We weren't impressed with Indiana Jones, but would do the new roller coaster ride nearby. 20,000 Leagues under the Sea is interesting...but if you don't understand Japanese you won't understand the story and it'll just be a ride in a submarine with some neat staging. The show Mystic Rhythms is outstanding IMO. If you plan on dinner there, it might be nice to eat in the Italian place right on the water where the Venetian Gondolas are...you can make a reservation for priority seating and request outside if it's not cold. The food is fine...not special, but fine. Another neat option if it's cold would be to have dinner iin the medieval castle...I think it's called Magellan's. If you don't want to spend time on dinner, there are plenty of carts that sell stuff you can eat on the move.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

theres so much we want to see in each place, its hard to take things out.Ueno park and imperial palace..Ueno park theres a few placees there i want to check out, but its huge right? bigger than central park?
where are most kareoke places? in shibuya? are 12 and 15 yr olds usually allowed in? also at clubs, like the cavern. will they be allowed in there?
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:52 PM

Ueno park is huge. Take it as it comes. I'm not overly impressed with it...I think Central Park in NY is nicer. Sizewize I'm not sure.

Karoake places are everywhere. I mean everywhere. You won't have to look far. We've brought our daughter (8) a few times no problem. You get your own room, pay per person by the hour. Look for ones that are bright and serve food...SHIDAX is one national chain of them that is quite OK.

Clubs..probably not. 20 is the legal drinking age, and lots of places have rules against letting in school aged kids...and the schools have rules about kids going to places like karaoke, game centers etc. after 6 or at all. There are nights when teachers patrol the popular places checking to make sure kids are not there. Imagine that in the US?!?

Don't eliminate things...just prioritize and prepare yourselves for the fact that you may well not see everything you want to see. More reason for a return trip.