Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Demonstrations Disrupting Thailand Travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this question was asked in different forms, once by me, the past few weeks but we leave in 9 days for Bangkok (4 full days), Chiangi Mai (3 full days) and Samui (6 days), I am not concerned about Samui but with Ratt we are planning 2 full days, a Thurs. and Sat. in Bangkok proper and 2 day trips,Floating Market,WaterFalls,etc. In Chiangi Mai with Poon we planned 2 day trips to hill tribes, Lampang, Genting Highlands and 1 day within maybe about 25-30 miles of the city.
What disruptions should we expect based on what has gone on the past week and editorials of the issues coming up in next 3-4 weeks. The news coberage in the US has been spotty so I ask the question of those who just returned or are still there. Thanks!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:08 AM

Hi, we just got back from BKK last night..There were demonstrations, but only in certain areas,which were shut down (Siam square i believe)..While we were travelling on the Skytrain, we could here the shouts from the demonstrations and could even see all of the thousands of people but it had no effect on any part of our travel in BKK.We aso used Rat and went to Floating Market..Nothing to be concerned about..
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:18 AM

I would guess that the demonstrations will stop now that Prime Minister Thaksin has resigned. Thaksin will act as "caretaker" PM until the next one is selected BTW.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:23 AM

Shouldn't be any more trouble but do keep reading the news from the following web site:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/
http://www.bangkokpost.com/

Eventhought the PM has resign he will be the care taker PM until a new election is held. The problem is that no date for the new election has been propose and the past election is still fraught with controversy. This PM did not want to resign but a greater power nudge him out.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:54 PM

PM has announced he is stepping down so things should quiet down a bit
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

rhkmk: Are you there now to make the observation "things should quite down a bit" or is it as I do that the steamy issue has been taken out of the basis for most of the demonstrations and things over time 30 days will quite down. The reason I ask is we leave 4/14 and will be in Bangkok until 4/23 then on to Chiagi Mai from 4/23-2/27th? Help? As I said at the ourset, I rather know what is speculation and what is "fact".
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 04:38 PM

Stan,

Out of respect for the King as of right now there is no "mass" demonstration. Yesterday over 1,000 journalist demonstrated against the PM because of his abusive stance on the freedom of the press.

Looking at your dates I think you'll be fine since the next major demonstration is call for at the end of the month if Taksin still has not step down from being a care taker PM. Come this weekend Taksin will be off to England for a couple of weeks.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:26 PM

i am not there but i talk daily with a friend in thailand...
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:27 PM

honestly i do not see that you will have a problem....problem areas will be well known in advance and your hotel will be able to advise you of them...
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 12:29 AM

In the UK papers today there are reports that the PM has stepped down and handed over to the deputy - perhaps someone in the know can validate this.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 02:20 AM

Bella,

Taksin is still the care taker prime minister but he's taking a vacation so he has appointed an interim prime minister to take his place while he's vacationing in the UK.

What most people would like is for an independent PM to be appointed along with independent ministers until a new election could be held. Sadly Taksin is refusing this and has vowed that he will remain in charge until a new election is held but no one know exactly when that will be.