Delhi to Agra- Day Tour

Search

Delhi to Agra- Day Tour

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delhi to Agra- Day Tour

Oops. I'm reposting, as i dont think i posted in the right forum the first time.
My husband will be traveling to Bangalore for work, and will be adding on a couple of days before he flies out of Delhi to return home. Where can we find a reputable driver with car to take him to Agra for the day, and then back to Delhi. And what should the approximate price be for something like this? I suppose another option would be to contact tour companies that offer this type of 'day trip'. So, what are some reputable names, possibly here in the US, that I can contact. I have aready sent an email to Compass to see if they do this sort of thing.
Thanks for your help.

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 11:17 AM

You could also hire a driver through your hotel - it is in your hotel's interest to hook you up with a reputable driver. Not sure what the price should be with higher fuel costs than when I was there - get a couple of quotes.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Craig, I was hoping to get some tour company names that are reputable. The hotel will probably be the Imperial, so I'm thinking they will be pricey, but I will check with them. Any other tour company names would be appreciated.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:15 PM

I think a day trip to Agra is such a long long day, and he won't get to see the Taj at sunrise or sunset, IMO the most beautiful times of day. It is a 4 hour drive each way (without any traffic issues), that's 8 hours on Indian roads in one day, which is a VERY long day. You may know that he can do this by train in about 2 hours each way, something he may want to consider if he really insists on doing a day trip, that will save him time and just overall wear on tear on himself. There is like a 6 am departure that would put him into Agra quite early in the morning, and then some frequent late afternoon departures. Also a one-day car trip is going to cost at least US$150 for the car fare, and probably more than that, I have not seen rates lower than US$200 or so, although there are posters here who claim it can be done for the US$150 range, I have no personal experience on that. (Round trip train fare in Executive Class is about US$45).

He also would not get to see Fatephur Sikri, an ancient preserved city about an hour outside of Agra, and he really won't see much of Agra itself. My guess is that on a day trip he will hate Agra and will think it is just a crowded dirty city full of touts, which is all he will see of it around the Taj. Note that the Taj is closed on Fridays so he should not plan his trip for that day.

I would get quotes from the Imperial, you can also try the following, I have used them for car hire service in Delhi and I know they can arrange for cars to Agra as well: Kumar Tourist Taxi Service at [email protected]. I would not take a bus tour, that will involve more stops at "handicraft factories" he will want to be involved in.

I would not do any part of this trip in the dark either in the morning or at night, as IMO the Delhi trunk road is not safe at night (in terms of traffic, not banditry).

If he has the time, I would do an overnight down to Agra and stay at either the Amarvilas or the Taj View Hotel, or possibly the Sheraton.

While I think Delhi is a very very interesting city, if he is only going there to make a day trip down to see the Taj, I would say he should consider skipping Delhi. Otherwise, just go to Delhi and spend the time there and skip Agra, as there is a ton of stuff to do in Agra. (He can take you to the Taj next time.)

Also, there are many international flights out of Bangalore, so there is really no reason that your husband would have to go to Delhi to get a flight back to the US. For example, Singapore Airlines has service to Bangalore basically every day, and he can get good connecting service onto the US from Singapore. Thai Airlines has service once a day to Bangkok and on certain days has service twice a day. I don't know if he has looked into those flight possiblities. (Bangkok and Singapore as stopover cities for a few days also have a lot of attraction as well IMO.)

If he stays in Bangalore, a very good day trip (again a long one in the car) is to Mysore. This is a very interesting city with a marvelous preserved palace. While it is a long day in the car, IMO it is much much easier to "do" Mysore as a day trip than it is to try to appriecate Agra and the Taj, as Mysore is much smaller and is less than 3 hours by car. While there is a not a whole lot in Bangalore to see, there are some interesting bits left in the city and there is Mysore and Devarayandurga, an imporant Hindu shrine about an hour outside Bangalore. There are also some wildlife refuges. The climate is also fantastic.

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:41 PM

i ahd a car and driver for 11 days and it was about $600. so i am not sure where the $150-200 rate would come from??

try compass tours...google them...

its a long drive for someone to do in one day....not sure i would want the same driver to take me there and back and drive me around at mid-day also....plus driving at nite is not suggested...

train might be a better idea...and then hire a car in agra...
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

thanks, Cicerone.. rhkk, great information. especially that the Taj is CLOSED on Fridays, that was the day he was planning on going to Agra!! This is next week, and his company has scheduled his flights already. He will be done with work on Thursday, but don't think he could get to Agra that day. He will have to re think and maybe switch around his flights.
Thanks for all the good info... much appreciated
dosu
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:31 PM

The high charge is because there is a premium charged for day trips to Agra from Delhi. Drivers know that lots of people want to try to make this as a day trip. That is why prices are high. It's what the market will bear... It is usually cheaper to take a driver for a few days than doing this as a day trip in most cases.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 01:59 AM

Use the train. It's cheaper, faster and less tiring. Not to mention safer.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 03:15 AM

dosu, I know you didn't have this in your query - I suggest you consider visiting Hampi instead of Agra. Hampi is a comfortable overnight journey by train from Bangalore (on the Hampi Express First AC class). The sights are wondrous. Agra you can always do later. Hampi is harder to get to. You won't regret Hampi I guarantee that.

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:01 AM

Hello! Greetings from a American woman who lives in Delhi!

WEll, it can be done, but *I would not suggest that u do AGra as a day trip only with car/driver! Of course it is do-able, but very exasuting and u will miss out too! Such a drive considering Indian roads)..Do not suggest u do it twice in a day, ha ha..U need to re-group and unwine after a Indian road journey..

If u are really short of time and want to do a day trip, u might consider the train option as it is quicker.. to(super fast morning Shatabdi train) and u can take tbis train back in the evening, **or u can then take car/driver in evening..Mix and match..

U can set up with a Indian Operator to have the train tickets, transfer to the station, someone meeting u at the station and a local guide, and someone to take u back to the station in evening.

However, if u are going to Agra, I would more likely suggest u spend the night there!!!. There is more to see than the Taj, and of course some great hotels to! Amarvilas, if u can get in, or other choices the Sheraton, the Taj and even Jaypee Palace..

And of course much mucm more to see than just the Taj..to name a few..The Agra Fort is really worth seeing, and i also like Sikander and of course lOVE FAtherphur Sikri one hours drive away. And yes, u might want to visit the Taj two times...And let's not forget the great shopping in AGRA!

Anyways, feel free to drop me a line if u need any help. I am based in Delhi and in/out of Agra all the time..Namaste..

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:06 AM

Ha..I just read my post and laughed. That was to be "unwind" after a Indian road journey..That said, * u probably will need a drink or two as well, so i guess "Unwine" yourself would work!

I myself am unwinding now with wine..Just arrived to BKK yesterday from NYC and exausted ..I am back to Delhi next week..Sawadeeka/namaste.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all so much. His only reason to go to Agra was to see the Taj Mahal, so really doesnt make sense to go now that we know it will be closed. He will probably still go to Delhi(might not be able to change flight) What sights are best to see for a day in Delhi?
Again, thanks
dosu
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:49 PM

how about going out to agra on friday and seeing taj in the morning on saturday and returning to delhi on sat. afternoon....even if he flies out on sat. it probably would be at mid night...
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:11 PM

I would concentrate first perhaps on the Red Fort and the Friday Mosque, which are very impressive and unique to Delhi and the area of Chandi Chowk around the Friday Mosque for some local colour. (The Friday Mosque may be closed to visitors on Fridays, or closed at certain times, so he may need to be flexible on this point.) IMO, it is helpful to have a guide at the Red Fort, the Friday Mosque, and Hanuman’s Tomb (the latter is a bit out of the way, but if he has no other opportunity to visit any tombs, then this is a very good one as it is in the traditional style and architecutre of Moghul tombs and gardens and was the protoype for others all over India, e.g the Taj Mahal). I find Ghandi’s cremation site to be very moving myself and always try to stop there; this can be done in combination with a visit to Hanuman's Tomb. The Qutub Minar is an engineering feat in any age and considering how old it is, even more awesome, there is an excellent Italian restaurant nearby called Olive with a lovely courtyard that would be a good late lunch break. I am a big fan of Nehru, and really love his home, he and his daughter really came from quite the privileged family which is evident from this lovely large home, more like a palace. His daughter Indira’s home is also very interesting and worth a visit. The National Museum is excellent, esp the ground floor exhibits, and there is a good audio tour you can take. The Museum of Modern Art is small but has an excellent collection if you are interested in modern Indian artists, they have some pen and ink drawings by Tagore which are a treat.

It is any easy walk from the Imperial down to Janpath and up past the Secretariat/Parliament buildings to the President’s House (no tours, but an impressively huge palace built by the British). It is also an easy walk in the other direction to Connaught Circus, passing the excellent Central Cottage Industries Emporium on the way, and other good shopping areas.

Not all of the above can be done in one day, but this gives you an idea of some things to do.

The Imperial can arrange for a car and guide, I have found that they provided good guides, who are informed and don’t try to talk you into shopping you are not interested in.

Olive
6-8, Qutub Haveli
Sarai Kalkadass Marg
New Delhi, 110030
Phone: +91 11 2664 2552

Central Cottage Industries Emporium
Jawahar Vyapar Bhawan
Janpath,
New Delhi
Tel. : 23725035(Direct)

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

rhk.. his flight out of Delhi on Saturday is in the morning.
Cicerone.. again you have a wealth of information. thanks so much.
d