DEL/Agra/Rajastan in 7 days

Jan 15th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

DEL/Agra/Rajastan in 7 days

I arrive in Delhi 3/4 at 9:30pm. My first question is if it would be advisable to have a driver pick me up at the airport and drive to Agra that night. I could sleep in the car, traffic should be greatly reduced and it saves the hassle of checking into a hotel in Delhi then checking out and traveling to Agra during traffic hours. Also, I would like suggestion of where to go during the 7 nights I have. I must be back in Delhi the following Friday afternoon 3/12 late afternoon. I've been told to go to Jaipur, Jodhpur adn Udaipur. My interests are palaces, gardens and temples. I love nature and would prefer smaller, less crowded places to big cities. I would appreciate suggestions as to how to spend the 7 nights I have. Thanks,
Jan 15th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

How does one find a car and driver in India?
Jan 15th, 2010, 06:53 PM

NO! Do not get a driver and drive at night like that. You must drive during daylight hours.

After your flight, go to a hotel and SLEEP. Start your next day rested.

Note that you will not be able to visit the Taj Mahal on Fridays. It is closed.

There is a daily train from Delhi to Agra called the "Shatabdi Express". It is the quickest way to get to Agra - about 2 hours.

For 7 days, you will only be able to Delhi, Agra and one other city, most likely Jaipur. There aren't really any small, uncrowded places. Afterall, this is India with a gazillion people.

Delhi alone can use up two to three days of your trip as there is much to see.

You should scroll through other postings here because there have been many recent ones about the Delhi-Agra-Jaipur area.
Jan 15th, 2010, 08:03 PM

Do not drive at night in India. The Grand Trunk Road is one of the busiest highways in India, with a combination of big trucks with tired/drugged drivers, camels, animals, poor lighting, and lots of other animals and vehicles on the road. If you really want to go at night, have a taxi take you to the rail station and go by train.

3/5 is a Friday, so you probably will want to do agra at the end anyway.

I highly recommend a vey good driver by the name of Narender. He can be reached at [email protected]. I've used him on several trips. He will take a while to respond to your email as he only has access while at home, and tends to be driving overnights a lot. You can hire him by the day or week or even by the half day in Delhi.

You do not have time to go to all those places in six days. I'd recommend that you drive from Delhi to Jaipur, then on to Agra, and finish in Delhi. 2 nights in each + the extra nicht in Delhi.
Jan 15th, 2010, 08:42 PM

NO NO NO

take the train to agra the next morning or start off in a car..

use any of the agents spoken of here to hire a car...

i used castle and king... google them

and you can't possibly do all of that in 7 days and enjoy it
Jan 15th, 2010, 10:35 PM

Driving on that road between Delhi & Agra, during the night, is adding one more to the numbers who deliberately commit suicide!You may stay in a hotel which locates near the Mathura Road & drive off to Agra early next morning or take a train & be met by your driver at Agra.
IMO,the finest temples in North India locate in a remote area of South eastern Rajasthan, just about 5 hours drive from Sawaimadhopur on the new trunk road.There is still a wealth of sculptored images left at Baroli & these are in the opinion of Art experts, superior in execution to the exotic images in Khajuraho. The temples date back to the 9th century & some of the images stolen from here resurface in international art auctions.
About 4 miles west of these temples is a wonderful heritage property Hotel Bhainsrorgarh, located directly on a cliff above river Chambal.
Jan 16th, 2010, 02:45 AM

Hi Lisa,

I also recommend that you sleep in Delhi before you head to Agra. You can either take the train or drive to Agra, but for the rest of the trip I would use a car and driver. As mentioned above, you can't do the Taj on a Friday. Going to Agra, Jaipur, Udaipur and Jodhpur is a lot for only a week. As much as I liked Jodhpur, you should probably drop it for this trip. This is my suggestion (and you may want to consider flying back to Delhi from Udaipur on 3/12):

Delhi -- 2 nights (3/4 and 3/5)
Agra -- 1 nights (3/6 and 3/7)
jaipur -- 3 nights (3/7, 3/8 and 3/9)
Udaipur -- 2 nights (3/10 and 3/11)
Delhi -- (back on 3/12)

We use Ramesh Meena for our driver in India and like him very much. He's a very safe and professional driver and quite pleasant as well. We are using him right now in South India, but he specializes in the Rajasthan area. His contact info is: : [email protected] or rames[email protected]. Telephone is +91 9829807074. He can give you a daily all inclusive rate for your trip when you contact him.

You might want to look at my trip report from last December for info on Rajasthan -- click on my name and scroll down to my trip reports.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!
Jan 16th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

I do not need to count Delhi in the 7 days.
I arrive Friday night so would be at the Taj on Saturday. Sunday could leave for Jaipur. I want to see Udaipur and fly back to Delhi on Friday the 12th. I have heard people say to skip Jaipur t o go to Jodpur and then be able to see Ranakpur on the drive to U. Would that be a better trip to see pretty countryside and forts or palaces along the road?
Jan 16th, 2010, 07:01 AM

We all agree that driving to Agra after your flight arrives is not a good idea. We don't all agree on what you should do with your time. I didn't like Delhi or Agra much, and like you, prefer gardens, temples and palaces. Check my trip report from Nov-Dec to see our itinerary: http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...a-to-india.cfm. We also used Ramesh Meena (above) and found him to be an excellent driver and all-around-good-guy.

Driving from Udaipur to Jaipur is much too long a drive, so flying back to Delhi would be the best option. I loved the drive from Jodhpur to Udaipur once we got into the Aravelli Hills, one of the best parts of our trip.
Jan 16th, 2010, 07:32 PM

lisa- in your initial post, you said you arrive 3/4, which is a thursday night, and the reason we were warning you about the Taj being closed. Above you say you arrive Friday night, so I'd recommend taking the Shatabdhi express to Agra on Sat morning..
Jan 16th, 2010, 07:45 PM

Just curious...why you booked your trip to India before having an itinerary?
Jan 16th, 2010, 08:29 PM

Ref yr post dated 16th Jan, you might be better off to cover Jodhpur, Jaisalmer and Ranakpur after Agra during this trip.

You may like to check Rajasthan Tourism website: http://www.rajasthantourism.gov.in

You may also check the flwg itinerary:

http://www.rajasthantourism.gov.in/M...-Triangle.aspx

Have a nice trip!
Jan 24th, 2010, 02:05 PM

We also used Ramesh Meena as our driver in India and can't recommend him highly enough; he is safe and reliable and we will use him on our next trip.
Jan 24th, 2010, 02:39 PM

Mrs.Marge--Surely you've finished your gala holiday celebrations by now, even if you mark all 30 days of Christmas. We're waiting impatiently...
Jan 24th, 2010, 04:53 PM

So true, so true . . . fans want to know.
Jan 24th, 2010, 10:10 PM

Please see my response to your other post. With 6 days on the ground, your itin is really too rushed.
Jan 26th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Delhi to spend the night? My flight arrives at 9:45pm. I want to sleep overnight and drive to Agra with Ramesh Sat am.
Jan 26th, 2010, 07:25 PM

The international airport is south and a bit west of the city centre, and actually is not far from the Agra Road which is pretty much directly south of the city, so I would recommend that you stay near the airport or on the Agra Road (which is the NH2 highway). Look at hotels in the south or south west (e.g. Gurgaon), obviously avoiding New Delhi or old Delhi hotels and places like the Nizamuddin or Defence colony areas to the north and east

I would look at the Trident Gurgaon, it is on the expensive side but a very nice hotel, see http://www.tridenthotels.com/gurgaon/index.asp. There is a brand new Kempinski hotel about 5 minutes from the airport, see http://www.kempinski.com/en/delhi/Pages/Welcome.aspx, again probably on the expensive side. I think the Country Inn & Suites Gurgaon is a solid little 4 star hotel, rates are usually good, see http://www.countryinns.com/hotels/indcigs.

Other hotels to consider would be the Radisson (there are four, the any of the ones except Noida and “Delhi” would work, the one called the “New Delhi” hotel is not anywhere near downtown New Delhi but is outside the centre and about 10 minutes from the airport, see http://www.radisson.com/). For the New Delhi Radisson avoid rooms which look onto the elevated highway, as they will tend to be noisy. Also look at the Crowne Plaza Gurgaon (http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/) or the Park Hotel in Gurgaon (http://www.theparkhotels.com, The Grand Hotel is quite close to the airport and is pretty nice (was originally a Hyatt) see http://www.thegrandnewdelhi.com (There is also a Grand Hotel Intercontinental in Connaught Circus in downtown New Delhi, so don't confuse the two.) The Uppals Orchid Hotel is pretty good and a good location for the airport/Agra road as well, but rooms can be uneven IMO, but see http://www.theorchidhotelnewdelhi.com/.

For a budget hotel, you might try the Centaur which is basically at the airport, I have never been inside, and its owned and operated by Air India, which may not be the greatest endorsement, but see http://www.centaurhotels.com/igi/. For one night, probably anything is liveable.

On the Agra Road, a poster here with a similar plan as yours was recently was considering the Claridges Atrium, which I have not been to, but might be worth considering, see http://www.claridges-hotels.com/atrium/index.asp. The only issue there is that it is longer drive at night to get there, which after a long flight and then Immigration, baggage claim, etc may mean you are not at your hotel until midnight. If you stay in Gurgaon, you would be at your hotel a bit earlier. But then you would have a bit of a longer drive the next day to reach the Agra Road. So it’s up to you as to when you would rather spend a bit more time in the car.
Jan 28th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

ok...so after reading the posts and Lonely Planet and Rough Guide I wonder what you think about this.....I skip Jaipur. Drive to Agra 3/6 Sat morning. Stay near the airport and rive ti Agra. By the time I navigate the train station etc I could be close to Agra by road. I see the Taj Sat sunset and Sun sunrise. Sunday 3/7 drive to Udaipur and have Mon and Tuesday there then drive Wed to Jpdphur taking in Ranakpur and Kumbalgarh. Wed nt in Jodhpur. Thursday tour the fort etc then fly back to DEL Friday.
I meet a group there then travel to Haidikan to the Babaji ashram for 10 days. There I can rest and see things around there. I will have a couple of days in DEL Fri 3/12 and 13 plus the 28th readying to fly back to the US.
My reasoning is that I prefer smaller cities. In Thailand one day in Bangkok is enough for me, then I'm ready to go to Chang and see things outside the city. In Egypt one day or so in Cairo. I prefer Luxor and the environs for the sites. What do you think of this scenario.
Thanks for your help.
Jan 28th, 2010, 08:49 PM

The drive from Agra to Udaipur would be about 12 hours. . Again, you should not be on Indian roads at night, so you may as well split it into two days with an overnight in Jaipur

Also, none of these - Agra, Udaipur, or Jodhpur - are even close to being 'small cities. i think Jodhpur would be the smallest, at about a million people.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO