declaring electronics etc.

Old May 11th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
declaring electronics etc.

We will soon be travelling to Japan. We will bring a camera, portable dvd player, cam coder and personal cd player with us. Is is prudent to "declare" these so we don't have to pay taxes when we return. If so how do we do this?

steelhead is offline  
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 29,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i do not tink that type of thing needs to be done anymore, but if you feel uncomfortable just stop by the customs office at your american departure city (needs to be an international airport) and they will fill out the form for you---oh i forgot this is 2004, they will give you the form to fill out....go early to the airport as this is probably not in the area of the departures....
rhkkmk is offline  
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 263
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't you read what US customs say about this subject yourself?

While customs never even asked me to show them, I always bring a receipt with me just in case.
nickn is offline  
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 23,073
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never had a problem, and I've never heard of any of my frequent-travelling family members having such inspection.

Customs officers are not idiots. They know what's new, valuable, and not available in the US. If your gear is all standard stuff you can buy at Best Buy, and all look somewhat "used", they won't bother you. However, for example, if you're taking a new grey-market Canon 300D with you, then I'd definitely take a receipt, as that Canon isn't officially imported to the US (we call it the Digital Rebel), has been on the market for a few months, and it's $999 - definitely above your tax-free allowance. Therefore, U.S. Customs will have a strong case that you just bought it in Japan. Same with other new-model electronics, especially if they're Japanese-only model.
rkkwan is offline  
Old May 12th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,885
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electronics are simple for any customs in any country. Any bigger ticket electronic device has a country specific serial number. So all a customs officer has to do is to compare the serial number with the list in their database and they will know where the item was sold (not made, SOLD). No receipts needed. High end watches also fall under this category.

If you are taking some high-end custom jewelry then maybe you should consider registering it. I'm not talking about a $500 gold bracelet, I'm talking about a few thousand $ diamond bracelets.

That said, just like reported in the previous post, it doesn't happen that often.
AAFrequentFlyer is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Australia & the Pacific
Nov 4th, 2007 12:20 PM
Oct 7th, 2005 01:56 PM
Sep 1st, 2004 09:29 AM
Jan 14th, 2003 12:22 PM
Jan 10th, 2003 07:25 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information