Day Trip to Taj/Agra - good idea??

Aug 14th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Day Trip to Taj/Agra - good idea??

I'll be in Delhi with two friends next weekend, and am definitely planning to take a day trip to Agra to see the Taj Mahal. It will be my first time in India, and I'm trying to decide if it's better to do it on our own, or book an all-inclusive day trip tour.

The one I'm looking at right now is run by "Taj Mahal Tours", is $99 per person, includes all transportation, bfast, lunch and the tour guide. We would see the Taj Mahal, as well as the Agra Fort, Tatehpur Sikri and time to explore the Agra markets. Link is below. It looks legitimate, but I'm hesitant to book before doing a little more research.

Has anyone done this sort of day trip? Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.tajmahaltours.com/taj-mahal-tour.htm
Aug 14th, 2008, 09:37 PM

i would find that very reasonable, but i can't imagine how you could do all that as a day trip....
Aug 14th, 2008, 10:58 PM

I think that there is no way to travel, have breakfast & lunch, visit all and have free time!!
Aug 16th, 2008, 05:56 AM

Hi, It will be not justice with "Taj Mahal" one of the most beautiful monument dedicated for love in this world.
You should give some time to see it and feel it.
You should stay over night there.
Best wishes.
Raju India.
Aug 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM

Kate,

I have been on plenty of rushed trips, so they can be OK if you know what you are getting yourself into.

But this is way too much. I think you are better off on your own. Just do the Taj or the Taj in the morning, and Fatehpur Sikr and then the Taj again at the end of the day. The Agra Fort is great, but if you have to miss something...

Aug 16th, 2008, 06:34 PM

I accompanied my husband to a convention in delhi which included at the end, a trip to agra/taj. The only thing we did NOT do on your itinerary was the markets but I could not stand the beggars and other people trying to sell us stuff so I was OK with that.
It was a looooong drive from Delhi and we started early and got back late-ish, but you have to do it. Frankly I found the Taj Mahal so crowded that I didnt want to hang around for too long. Obviously if you have the time you could stay for the night and then you could do it very nicely.
Aug 17th, 2008, 01:43 AM

apropos Waynehazle, I don't see how you can do the Taj, and Fatephur Sikri, then the Taj again, and return to Delhi in one day.

Maybe it's possible with your own wheels, but what a manic day. The Taj is one of those places where you want to look very closely at the detail, the tilework, the decoration. Amazing! And the best time to be there is very early in the morning and at dusk.

Aug 17th, 2008, 03:30 PM

Actually it would be possible if you took the TRAIN. The Shatabdi express leaves Delhi about 6 and gets in about 8:30 am. Driving from Delhi to Agra takes a minimum of 3.5 hours (one way) and we've taken up to 7 hours on one trip. Hit the road on a day like that and you won't have time to do anything! You definitely don't want to travel the raod at night either.

The tour listed is not bad for $99 pp. I somehow doubt that you'll really eat at a 5* or get the personalized service they offer though.

If you really want to go just for a day, and $300 is the budget for the three people, I'd say this is an okay tour and price. You could arrange the same thing on your own, but won't be able to improve on it enough to make it worth the trouble of setting it up.
Aug 18th, 2008, 04:30 AM

Remember, the Taj is closed Fridays!!!
Aug 18th, 2008, 02:26 PM

I don't at all like the day-trip from tajmahaltours you mentioned. You'll be moving around way too fast and covering far too much ground. Essentially, they are compressing 2 days of touring into one day. I guarantee you'll be rushed around like a pack of animals by indifferent tour guides who will be hitting you up for tips the whole time. You need to linger and soak in the Taj.

If at all possible get into Agra the night before and see the Taj FIRST thing in the morning before the day-tripper tour buses and first train from Delhi arrive. You'll be among just a few people there. And it's amazing in the early morning.

Why not arrange this all yourself? You don't need their overpriced bfast and lunches in a place you can have an amazing, authentic meal for $2 or so.

This is an easy trip to arrange on your own. India has a fantastic tourist infrastructure.

Another option is to have a car and driver pick you up in Delhi the night before, drive you and your friends to Agra - see the Taj at night. Then pick you up at your hotel and be at your disposal all day before they drive you back to Delhi. You then call the shots about how long you'll stay and what you see. The firm I used on my last tour was great and could arrange such a tour as could many other operators.

Vikas Chhabra
Ashoka Holidays Pvt Ltd
91-141-2811747, 2811244
1877-ASHOKA-1 (USA)
91-141-2811180
[email protected]
Aug 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM

a day trip in itself would be ok, but not adding those other places and stops....way too rushed
Aug 18th, 2008, 11:52 PM

Same day Agra tour to see Taj Mahal, Fort and Fatehpur Sikri is doable by starting early morning. Your guide should be experienced with good communication skills to explain 'monumental' details. The quoted price $99 each is also reasonable if you travel by Innova which is a comfortable car for three and the hotels offered for meals are good.