India Intinerary Help

Dec 8th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

India Intinerary Help

Hi there,

I am planning a trip to north India during March. We will be visiting Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Amritsar and Varansi. We realize the cities are kind of all over the place, and was wondering if you can give advice on what is the best / most efficient (=least time) route to take?

In addition, we have allotted 2 full weeks to visit India. I have heard that Delhi and Agra can be seen in 2 days, so do you think we have too much time allotted for the other cities? How many days would you recommend staying in each city? And lastly, would you recommend visiting other places?

Thanks!!
Dec 8th, 2010, 11:51 PM

Having lived in India for 1.5 years, I think your trip with those cities is do-able. You don't say what it is you are interested in doing, but I think generally speaking 1 day in Delhi is extremely short. You will likely be landing in Delhi and you may want a day to relax and get your bearings, and deal with the time difference if there is any for you. There is a lot to see and do. If you count all the big things like Qutub Minar, Humayun's tomb, Red Fort, Lotus Temple, and various markets, you may want about 3 days.

Amritsar does not have much to do besides the Golden Temple and can be done in 1 day, add another if you want to get a feel for the city.

Unless you want to go to Fatephur Sikri in Agra, you can take a train from Delhi (Shatabdi Express, leaving at 6am) for the day and be back by 11pm. https://www.irctc.co.in/ has train schedules and will allow you to see how much time your journeys will take. Train travel in India can be quite cumbersome, but full of adventure and cheap.
Dec 9th, 2010, 01:08 AM

Hi Susan,

I would suggest the below mentioned itinerary for you and your partner, driving time is not more then 4 to 5 hrs between each destination and the time spent at each destination is ample to explore the must see places/monuments.

Day 01: Arrive Delhi
Day 02: Delhi
Day 03: Delhi - Agra
Day 04: Agra - Ramathra Fort
Day 05: Ramathra
Day 06: Ramathra - Jaipur
Day 07: Jaipur
Day 08: Jaipur - Delhi
(With one dedicated driver & car)
Day 09: Fly Delhi/Varanasi
Day 10: Varanasi
Day 11: Fly Varanasi/Delhi
Day 12: Delhi to Amritsar by train (1st class a/c sleeper)
Day 13: Amritsar (sight seeing) and train back to Delhi
Day 14: Depart Delhi

Cheers & Happy Planning
Dec 9th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. We are now planning to stay in Delhi for an extra 1-2 days.

You guys are awesome!
Dec 10th, 2010, 04:19 PM

HI rampup, not sure if you intended this, but plese do yourself a favor and do NOT do Agra just as a day trip from New Delhi.
If youarrive in the afternoon, you can see the fascinating fort there, and get a lovely first view of the taj Mahal from the park across the River Yamuna. Then next day, be up bright and EARLY by opeing time so you can beat the hordes (manay of whom WILL be arrving onthe morning train from New Delhi)> TGhat way, you'll have the Taj almost to yourself for a bit ..it's beautiful any time, but especially sublime when you are one of the few there
Any chance the trip to Agra will coincide with full moon? Also, Taj Mahal is closed on Friday.

Amritsar--LOVED it--unexpectedly!! The Golden Temple to me--which we visited both at night and the next morning--is as magnificent and iconic in its own way as is Taj Mahal. SOmehow, despite the many pilgrims you l find serenity there! Also, if you have time to go to the India Pakistan border at Atari/Wagagh border, that is an interesting and theaterical ceremony. Also, the Memorial Park right nr the Golden Temple, where Indians protesting a very restrictive British law, were massacred. If you have seen "Gandhi" you'll know what i mean.

We stayed at a beautiful hotel there--not sure of your budget--but it is the Ista.Also, we really liked our guide there--brother of someone recommendedon Fodors.
Dec 11th, 2010, 03:05 PM

I second the suggestion by calinurse to attend the Wagah Border ceremony at sundown in Amritsar. You'll need to find yourself in Amritsar (a short flight from Delhi) by mid-afternoon in order to drive to the border, walk to the venue, and get situated. Devote a good chunk of time to the Golden Temple -- a whole morning or a whole afternoon, plus a night visit if you can.

Jallian Wallah Bagh is the park where the Punjabis were massacred in 1919 -- a very sacred place.

We stayed at Svaasa in Amritsar and used the services of a wonderful guide - Amun. If you wish, I can give you her e-mail address.
Dec 12th, 2010, 01:38 PM

Thanks Indianapearl, for adding to what i wrote, and telling us about your guide before our trip in June. Thank you for the reference to Amun. She couldnt do it when we were there, and referred us to her brother Gurinder, who was( is) terrific.