Search

day trip from Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
day trip from Kyoto

Hi,
I was thinking about taking a day trip to Hiroshima / Miyajima from Kyoto. Besides the Peace park and the castle what else is there to do in Hiroshima? Also how long is the trip to Miyajima? How long have some of you guys stayed on the island? Are there a lot of things to do? If we leave Kyoto early in the morning - with the 1 1/2 train ride is it possible to get back to Osaka to catch an evening Sumo match if they do have one in the evening?
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:31 AM

Bonjour apatinage,

There's not much in Hiroshima (compared to Kyoto) outside of the Peace park. Miyajima is about 30 min by train from Hiroshima and you can visit in half a day, although it is worth more time.

Sumo is usually over by 6PM at the latest.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:34 AM
emd

Osaka sumo tournament is over about 6 pm, at least it was when we went in March 2005. You could go to HIroshima on 1st shinkansen from Kyoto (about 2 hrs), see PEace Park and museum (but you'd only have a couple hrs there and it woudl be hurried), and go right back to Osaka for sumo and get to sumo by the time it heats up in late afternoon, and watch last few hrs of the best matches. But it would be a rushed day. No way to do Hirshima AND Miyajima and get to sumo in one day.

On my trip report I detailed our day trip from Kyoto to Hiroshima and then onto Miyajima and back to Kyoto, including times, train and ferry connections, etc. There was more to do than we did on Miyajima, but weather was bad, and cable car up the mountain was closed due to bad visibility.

If you put in the search box "emd trip report" you will see the trip report from March 2005 trip w/my teen son- it is post #10 on the list. Trip to Hiroshima is posted on day 12 of the trip. Osaka sumo was on day 10.

Have fun and good luck.

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:35 AM
emd

Hi Florence! I hope your mom is well.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 06:20 AM

Bonjour Emd,

Mom's fine and talking again of going to Japan sometime in the future ...
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:34 AM

If I only had one day, I'd go to Miyajima. If I had two days I'd see Peace Park and the Museum and then go to the 'Picture Park". It was about a 30 minute walk from the Museum.

It was beautiful. It's called the Sukkei-en Garden and the entrance is through a museum.

My Hiroshima/Miyajima trip report is under my name and called "Japan trip report part 3 - Hiroshima."
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

so, it seems as though Miyajima is a pretty cool place to visit. If you had your choice to spend the rest of the day after Hiroshima in either Miyajima or Osaka, which one would be preferable. Which place did you enjoy the most - Osaka city life or something different on Miyajima?
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Neither. I'd go to Himeji.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:04 PM

you can skip the castle in Hiroshima
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:23 PM
mjs

Nara is another option.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:31 PM
mjs

I do not think there is a castle like Himeji in Hiroshima. I think mrw.. is saying to skip the Osaka castle if you go to Himeji.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 01:51 PM

I really loved Hiroshima. Peace Park is something you can't see anywhere else in the world (except Nagasaki, of course). The museum, the park are just amazing. You can arrange to meet with an atomic bomb survivor (for free) through the World Friendship Center. I have been to Miyajima but really preferred the experience at Hiroshima.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 02:03 PM
kja

I didn't stop in Osaka, so I can't compare it to Miyajima. I can say that I enjoyed Miyajima very much. The O-Torii is IMHO quite something, especially at high tide, but also at low tide, and I enjoyed wandering around the town and park. I also enjoyed going to the top of Mt. Misen, but I don't think you'd have time for that if you're planning to get to Osaka that evening. Basically, Miyajima is a lovely, small, quiet island; Osaka is a large, busy city. By the way, I believe there's an art museum in Hiroshima that has some noted works by Dali, including one of the melted-watch paintings. I didn't have time to go there, but had thought it might be interesting. As others have said, the Peace Park and Museum are well worth a visit. Enjoy!
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 02:54 PM

I'll make this more clear: if you are going to take a day trip to Hiroshima and couple it with another stop then I recommend that you make Himeji the second stop, not Osaka and not Miyajima. I realize that Himeji was not a choice in the OP's question, but I think it was the wrong question.

Also, I recommend that if you are making such a short visit to Hiroshima that it would be ok to not visit the castle there in order to spend more time elsewhere (e.g. at the PP, or the garden that was mentioned, or Himeji, or Miyajima, or Osaka).