Dateline:Borneo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, just checking in. Back in Kuching, thank goodness! Wish we had spent more time here rather than going to Batang Ai. I feel like 3 days were wasted for one day of seeing something. Longhouse visit was interesting but not interesting enough to spend all the time it took to get where we were going. I really like Kuching however, so far the high point of the trip. Hopefully Penang will be good, going there tomorrow. So far, the trip has not lived up to expectations, and I hardly had any. Not much wildlife other than macaques and the orang-utans, which were quite wonderful. If wildlife is what you're after, go to Costa Rica!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, Laurie, I've been awaiting your update. Sorry it's been disappointing. I had decided not to do the Long house visit, but your comments just reinforce what I'd heard about it.

Kuching sounds like a nice town, right now I'm afraid I don't have enough time there.

I'll look forward to your full report.

Enjoy Penang!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:15 AM

laurie, when you say go to costa rica for wildlife, i assume you don't mean going there to watch orgy doing the salsa and merengue on the table top. .
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:14 PM

I sent a message earlier, but it, apparently, got lost in cyber space. Glad to hear from you. Keep us posted on your travels. ZZ
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:10 PM

laurieco:
Glad to hear you are ok after what seems to have been a tumultuous start.
So what's up with the leeches???
Aloha!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:26 PM

As I undertand it, HT, part of Laurie's disappointment is no leeches!
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Kathie is correct, I haven't seen one leech and I'm quite disturbed by this ;-)

Penang was wonderful. Georgetown is beautiful and we had quite a nice stay there. Back in KL. Walked around Little India today and went shopping for gold, always gets my spirits up!

Kathie, you're right to skip the Longhouse. While interesting, it wasn't worth the time, which would have been better spent in Kuching and spending a night at Bako, which we really liked a lot. Did a wonderful but strenuous trek there and wish we had spent a night there to do more treks.

Karanosuke, I'll forgo the toucans, sloths and quetzels for one good dance from Orgy. Now THAT would be worth the price of admission!

We almost didn't make it to Penang, thanks to Air Asia. A word of warning, although you can save lots of money with Air Asia, they are not worth it. They change flights with impunity and think nothing of it. We bought tickets on Malaysia Air to get to Penang because Air Asia delayed our flight for 12 hours and didn't think this was a big deal! They also scam you on luggage weight, their scales are set to weigh more. More on this in the full trip report. Just wanted to give an early warning.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 06:41 AM

Laurie, I'm taking note of everything you have to say about your trip. (I've not been to Penang, but it's been on my list for years). We haven't scheduled any firm time in Bako at his point, as we're spending three days in the Danum Valley (with the leeches!). You have me thinking about adding an extra day in Kuching, so we could spent a night in Bako if we decided to... so much to do, so little time. I look forward to your full report.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:39 AM

laurie, thanks for the info on air asia. i had posted a thread about the baggage weight limit. was not aware of the flt change problem.

kathie, i lived in penang along time ago. its a great place. when you go, have lunch at hamedia, an indian restaurant. excellent. use your fingers, the food will taste better.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the tip, Kuranosuke, I love Indian food!
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Original Poster

Down to our last day in Malaysia
Really like KL, very nice city. Had a wonderful dinner at Fraganpani last night (thanks Kathie). Went to Central Market today for some shopping and walked around Chinatown. Had fun and bought some nice things at Central Market, but in the fixed price stores, which carry quality items. The street stalls along Petaling (sp?) Street in Chinatown carry your basic knock off junk, not interested in that but walking through there was fun. Came back to the MO for an afternoon swim but it began to pour as soon as we got to the pool so had lunch instead. I'm going to leave Eric to take a nap while I go next door to Suria KLCC for some last minute shopping. Then it's cocktail time at 5 on the Club Floor here and then dinner.

Not looking forward to going home tomorrow, especially the horrendous 24 hour flight. I'm going to try and get bumped and maybe get a non-stop back to NY from HK. Wish me luck.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:13 AM

Good luck, Laurie!

Glad you enjoyed Frangipani - I thought it was wonderful!

I look forward to the full Borneo report, though with disappointment about the leeches.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:27 AM

I was in Kuching in December 2001, and didn't find the city all that interesting, but we spent a day in Bako National Park, and saw lots of wildlife, including proboscis monkeys, which were our primary goal, plus lots of birds, mudskippers, other monkeys. Also saw orangutan at the rehabilitation center, but I didn't find it that interesting since they are semi-wild feeding off platforms.

Was Penang more interesting than Kuching?

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

thit_cho, I found Kuching to be just as interesting as Penang, loved them both. We were not so lucky with wildlife. Saw only macaques at Bako.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 10:38 PM

bako has got many treks that are interesting. its quite small in area but i think there are something like 7 different ecological systems there. treks range from 1 hour or less to 8 hour journeys returning by boat.

the only thing is accomodation is basic (at least it was before, i have not been there for years now). and the canteen food is (was?) only edible. i dont know if one could book with local tour groups that will also take care of the food.