Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Custom made Boots and Bags in New Delhi?

Custom made Boots and Bags in New Delhi?

Aug 16th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Custom made Boots and Bags in New Delhi?

Hi - Im traveling to New Delhi in India and would love to have some a pair of boots and a handbag custom made for me? Is this something that is done in India at an affordable price? Anyone have any recommendations to specific shops or makers?
Aug 16th, 2011, 11:35 AM

Boots are not a common type of footwear in most of India.

I'd certainly ask to see samples of a cobblers work before I put down any deposit. Indians will rarely tell you, "No it can't be done" outright, so you need to dig a little deeper!
Aug 16th, 2011, 02:12 PM

Note Lcuy's comments! It's true that they will not turn down work, even if they aren't good at it.

Quality of workmanship can be very inconsistent. What the shop thinks is "good" quality, might not be your idea of good quality. Spending time trying to find a place to make boots and a bag may take up too much time and yield nothing. Clothing is often custom made, but not shoes and handbags.
Aug 16th, 2011, 02:21 PM

remember leather (cow) is not an item that indians use very often..

i did buy some leather from a shop in santucci shopping area in new delhi and jackets were made for us in agra, plus belts
Aug 16th, 2011, 03:29 PM

Leather can be WORN by Hindus, but it's almost always Muslims who work in the leather tanning and garment manufacturing. Just a little cultural tidbit.
Aug 16th, 2011, 04:22 PM

good info jaya
Aug 16th, 2011, 11:27 PM

That leather shop where Bob got his stuff at Santushti market is really nice. I really wanted to bring home some of their gorgeous desk accessories.
Aug 17th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't really thought about having any leather goods made (for the reasons mentioned above about the cows) until I saw an old blog post mentioning quality work getting done there. I can't get in touch with the owner. Maybe its a bigger secret than I realize? Or maybe she just got lucky?

Search this Thread