- Bharatpur
- Agra (2 days not just the Taj)
- Khajuraho
- Panna
- Bandhavgarh
- Kanha
- Pench
- Delhi

What kind of souvenirs are "useful" to buy and how much do they cost: given price and after bargaining?

I am thinking of typical things which are not bulky means easy to carry and light weight.

Thank you for your advise/sharing your experiences.

SV
May 16th, 2009, 09:30 AM

Saffron.
May 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM

Cloth. Silver. Very small statues.
May 16th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Spanish saffron is better than Indian, plus saffron is very expensive right now.

Do you want things for your house or to give as gifts?

Take measurements with you from home if you think you might buy a bed cover, table cloth, pillow covers.

A good place to see what India has to offer for gifts is to go to the Cottage Industries Emporium in New Delhi. They have things from all regions of India and often buying there is simpler. It is a government owned store and there is no bargaining, but the quality is generally good. You can easily spend 1 to 2 hours there. Plus it's air-conditioned.

What to buy? You will see what grabs your attention when you're there. DON'T buy anything that could be an antique.

With any purchase, check it out well for defects before buying it because most, if not all, stores are No Returns, No Refunds, No Exchanges.
May 16th, 2009, 01:21 PM

You will be amazed how inexpensive everything is....buy to your hearts abandon. Negotiate price, if you want, but enjoy the mecca of shopping. Be aware that, in the end, you get what you pay for...so shop for quality first, then try to get the best price.

Good advice from Jaya...no returns, no exchanges, no refunds.

We always carry an extra foldable suitcase with us to bring back the "goodies".
May 17th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advise!

Marija - I think I will not buy saffron as there is too much fake in the markets.

thursdaysd - silver ware would be nice but no statues for us as we don't have any space left in the house

Jaya - All very good advise! Especially "Cottage Industries Emporium in New Delhi because our last day we will have ample time to stroll around. We definitely check that out!
It's for ourselves but also as gifts.
I was thinking of scarfs/schawls etc. which can be folded away.

Magical - We are after "quality shopping" - no rubbish and also no "child slavery things" like these tiny bead work cushions and table runners I saw at Dubai intl. for 5$!
And yes - we also have always a foldable spare bag with lock (longchaps which I love because it's extendable by zip making a huge thing)

Again - Thank you all for your help!

SV
May 17th, 2009, 04:29 AM

I love spassvogel's questions.

Here's another one I particularly liked.

http://www.fodors.com/community/fodo...g-the-usoa.cfm

I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding souvenirs in India. Maybe you could buy that gun in Delhi. Just whip it out whenever someone tries to sell you something. That'll solve the bargaining problem.
May 17th, 2009, 04:46 AM

OMG, I missed that question about the gun!
May 17th, 2009, 05:07 AM

Nice find, dogster - you must be keeping a low profile in Kolkata this time.

sv - I understand about having too much stuff, I've pretty much given up buying souvenirs myself, but I meant really small - I have a golden sandstone statue of Ganesh that's only one and a half inches tall - uh, 4 cms.
May 17th, 2009, 07:25 AM

one really nice shop with mostly womens stuff is anokhi...the original is in jaipur but others are in delhi and elsewhere..

table runners and clothes are reasonable...expect to pay about 60% of the asking price..

remember the more you buy in one place the higher the discounts.

wild costume jewelry...

we liked visiting the emporium mentioned above in delhi, but found most of the stuff toooo touristy, but it did give us a good idea of final prices.

while you cannont carry them rugs are a fabulous buy...they ship for free (included in the sales price really..)...we bought an 8 X 10 for about $2000.
May 17th, 2009, 07:25 AM

leather jackets custom made and belts are two of our favorite items as well
May 17th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

DOGSTER

- Sorry you are still missing the point!

- Shall I feel honoured you undertake such an effort to get to my questions?

IF - only IF - at one stage you are able to contribute something substantial to my question/post I would highly appreciate your input.

- could you please facilitate me with your achievements which have led to your obvious feeling of being superelevated? I am curious.

Thank You again to the others for your contribution! Very much appreciated!

SV
May 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM

I think he was kidding, spass. Relax. Breathe.
May 17th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Don't shoot, he's just a harmless dog!
May 17th, 2009, 09:18 AM

You'll possibly notice that many of us have "history" with Dogster and adore him to pieces - it's all in good humor.
May 17th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Okay then - make me adore him/her as well ;-)

SV
May 17th, 2009, 04:24 PM

I don't think DOGSTER is missing the point at all SPASSVOGEL! By the way, Dog has EARNED his superelevated position on this board. He's competely cool, so just take a chill pill!

To answer your question -- Not sure what you mean by "quality," and I don't really remember what the given prices were, but a few things we bought in India -- all from shops where we got a good vibe from the owner -- and hopefully not made by child slaves: for friends, small leather journals with homemade paper -- 50 to 250 Rs; for a family member with a collection of religious-type crafts we found a small painted wooden "temple" with fold-out doors (you have to see them to understand what I mean I guess -- don't know how else to describe them) a few hundred rupees; for a teenage neice, a metal box in the shape of a lotus to hold make-up colours -- also a few hundred rupees; for myself and my daughter several pairs of silver earrings, some with inset gemstones -- ranged depending on quality $10 and up, also some leather sandals for about $7; for the car some CDs of Indian music -- a few hundred rupees; for our neices and nehews we bought Rajasthani wooden puppets -- we were quoted prices of up to $30(!) in Jaislamer that we bought for less than $5 in Mandawa, and sandelwood letter openers 50 rupees a piece. The last items we bought for co-workers at the shop in the Crafts Museum in Delhi, which had a nice selection of items. Oh yeah, we also bought a bedspread and pillow shams at a textile shop in Shekawati, for which we paid about $75 -- which I now think was too much for the quality, but oh well.

Hope you have a fabulous trip!
May 17th, 2009, 04:24 PM

If you read some of his tales of travel in India, I expect you'll become a fan. Click on his name and you'll be able to see a list of some of his trip reports.
May 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM

Be careful is you want to purchase DVD's, better yet don't buy any. They're super cheap and very likely pirated copies that won't play well on your DVD player.

It's easy to get caught up in the shopping in India, but once you get it home the item may not be what you really wanted. Be really picky on quality or don't buy it. If the price isn't much different than what you would pay for it in the US, don't buy it.

Don't buy gold or gemstone jewelry as it is almost certain you will not get what the sales person is telling you it is. Jewelry is a big source of scamming, even for locals.
May 18th, 2009, 03:26 AM

lol lol lol

You just keep those amazing questions coming, spass... I can't wait for the trip report.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO