Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Craig and Jeane Visit Japan - 2013 Trip Report

Craig and Jeane Visit Japan - 2013 Trip Report

Nov 9th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,892
Craig and Jeane Visit Japan - 2013 Trip Report

By way of introduction, Jeane and I are in our mid to late 50’s and hail from Connecticut. In the past 13 years, our travels have taken us to Thailand, Bali, Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos, Burma, Sri Lanka, India, Vietnam and Bhutan. After traveling to so many 3rd world countries, we decided that we wanted to go to a place that was exotic but where everything “works”. That place turned out to be Japan. After consulting several of the experts on this forum, we found that we would not be able to do the country justice with just one visit and decided to focus on just 3 cities in central Japan: Tokyo, Kanazawa and Kyoto. Our itinerary included 4 nights in Tokyo, 3 nights in Kanazawa, and 5 nights in Kyoto. Since we also wanted to do things that were off the usual tourist track, we added 1 night at a ryokan in Yamashiro Onsen (near Kanazawa) and 1 night at a minshuku on the Noto Peninsula overlooking the Sea of Japan. We also consulted with this forum’s experts on the timing of our trip and decided that by going in late October/early November we would arrive before the touristy koyo (fall foliage season) and enjoy temperatures that were still moderate (mid to high 60’s).

So, after months of delving into the details of travel in Japan, off we went. We purchased our flights early on with miles: Air Canada from Hartford to Toronto to Tokyo in Executive class. We had not flown Air Canada before, but the long flight was comfortable, the food was good, the service was competent and the configuration of the 180 degree lie-flat seats provided more privacy than we have experienced on other airlines in business class. The walk from the domestic terminal to the international terminal in Toronto seemed to go on forever, but once we got through customs (no security check) and arrived at the Air Canada lounge, we were fine. The food in the lounge was very good.

Immigration and customs at Tokyo Narita went by quickly. Currency exchange windows were located right outside - we each exchanged $1,000. After waiting 25 minutes to purchase our Narita Express (N’EX) train tickets and subway pass (SUICA), we had just 5 minutes to make our train to Shinjuku in Tokyo. We managed, with 2 minutes to spare, saving us an hour wait for the next train. Our seats were spacious, clean and comfortable and luggage storage was easy and convenient - a great introduction to Japanese infrastructure. The ride took about an hour and a half. After arriving at Shinjuku station, one of the largest train stations in the world, we still had to find a taxi to get to the hotel. After just one wrong turn, we were pointed to the taxi stand and were on our way to Citadines Shinjuku, our home away from home in Tokyo.

We had come prepared with directions to the hotel written in Japanese so the taxi ride was just 10 minutes. As we approached Citadines, our driver lamented that Japan was about to be hit by twin typhoons...

At check-in, I was handed a package containing the pocket Wifi rental that I had preordered online from Global Advance Communications. It was a great deal. For less than $100, this device would gave me Wifi access for the next 2 weeks pretty much anywhere in Japan. As a back-up, I had also purchased the cheapest international data roaming plan for my iPhone from AT&T. Between the two, I was always able to get on line. Check-in went quickly and we headed to our 3rd floor room. Our room rate for the Citadines was less than $150 per night. But because it was a bargain for Tokyo, there was no one to help us with our bags. Our room however was comfortable, quiet, clean, modern and completely functional. It was even equipped with a small kitchenette. The only drawback was its small size which really didn’t bother us. The location was quite good with convenience stores and restaurants nearby. It was a 5 minute walk to the subway.

Our flight had arrived at 4 pm and by 7 pm we were at the hotel. I had slept quite a bit on the flight but Jeane hadn’t slept at all and wanted to lay down for a while. I went out to the 7-11 next door and picked up a ham sandwich, a bottle of wine and what I hoped was milk for my coffee (it was). I also bought some cheese and crackers for Jeane but she was sound asleep when I returned. The ham sandwich hit the spot and after reading for a while, I also lay down to rest.

We both woke early for our first full day in Japan. Our first priority was to scout out a Western breakfast restaurant recommended by a reviewer on Tripadvisor. It was about a block and a half from the hotel right before a blue footbridge that crosses the main road. The restaurant was on the second floor with steps outside leading up to it. We found it easily and ate there every day except for our last. The menus were in Japanese but the pictures were accurate - eggs, toast, ham etc. All meals came with a small salad. There was also a serving station with coffee, tea, juices and chicken soup - all included in the price of the meal. It cost about $10 for the two of us, compared to about $14 at Citadines for its rather lame buffet.

Our plan was to go slow on the first day, do some walking in the nearby Gyo-en National Garden and learn to use the subway for some shopping. Before we headed out, we ran into Melissa (Florida1) and Doug who were also staying at Citadines and had also just recently arrived. We chatted briefly and agreed that we should all go to the Tokyo GTG a few days later as a group. Jeane and I then walked to Gyo-en. The main gate is in the direction of Shinjuku station and like every other attraction in Japan, there was an entrance fee. The sky was overcast but every once in a while the sun would peek through. It was not ideal for photos but our 2-hour walk around the gardens was quite pleasant, none-the-less. If you go, don’t miss the the recently completed tropical greenhouse.

I had received an e-mail from Lucy (lcuy) with some shopping recommendations, including Takashimaya, the upscale department store. Jeane and I decided to head there, but first we wanted to check out the Bridgeport Museum nearby. We hopped on the subway, using the SUICA cards that we purchased at the airport for passage. The Tokyo subway is really easy to use as long as you can find the correct exit when you leave. I had researched these details beforehand, which made life easier. Once outside, I used my iPhone compass to insure that we were headed in the right direction. There was now a light rain so we were glad that we had scheduled indoor activities for the remainder of the day. The Bridgeport Museum was disappointing. We had expected to see Japanese Impressionist-style artwork but mostly Western Impressionist paintings were on display. Not that it wasn’t quality stuff - Monet, Renoir, Degas, Pissarro were all represented. It was just kind of strange seeing these works in Tokyo.

After leaving the museum, we walked one block to Takashimaya. The store is huge - 8 floors as I recall. We started at the top and worked our way down, admiring the quality of the wares and being greeted by what seemed like every employee in the store. The elevators were attended store employees wearing uniforms and white gloves. The whole scene was truly Japanese. After we had toured the very cool upscale grocery department in the basement, we decided to head to another major department store in Tokyo - Mitsukoshi, 2 subway stops away. The entrance to Mitsukoshi was conveniently located within the subway complex so that we could practically step off the subway car and walk in. Between the two department stores, Jeane purchased some scarves, pins and other accessories. She felt she had done well for her first day. We ended our day with a light Japanese dinner at a modern, spacious cafeteria-style place down the road a ways from Citadines called Meal Muji.

Next: Tokyo, day 2
Craig is offline  
Nov 9th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 32,823
Hi Craig, you are fast getting this report posted! Looking forward to reading about your experiences.
Kathie is online now  
Nov 9th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,163
Welcome back. Looking forward to the continuation.
Marija is offline  
Nov 9th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,466
Ohh very pleased you have started this,, now can you have it all done by Wednesday..
Smeagol is offline  
Nov 9th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,997
Great details, Craig. I also found AC's flat seat to be extremely comfortable and the service very good. (Not so good: landing cards were in Japanese only.)
DonTopaz is offline  
Nov 9th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,283
Welcome back, Jeane and Craig. I look forward to reaching your report and your impressions of the place.
tripplanner001 is online now  
Nov 9th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 267
Good to hear your trip went well.
Looking forward to the rest of the report.
We loved the green salads for breakfast, a nice healthy touch.
kalihiwai2 is offline  
Nov 9th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,034
I can't believe you are already home!
KimJapan is offline  
Nov 9th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,160
Nice report Craig and look forward to seeing yours and Jean's pictures.
Hanuman is offline  
Nov 9th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,489
Fab start with just the right amount of detail

kmkrnn is offline  
Nov 9th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 24,850
Looking forward to more.
thursdaysd is offline  
Nov 9th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,343
Great detail as usual Craig. We just got home from the airport a few hours ago ourselves.
What a trip! Linda and I had a blast especially our times together with you and Jeane.
Can't wait to read the rest of your report.

hawaiiantraveler is offline  
Nov 9th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,433
Agreed--please finish by Wednesday! I'm taking notes already.
filmwill is offline  
Nov 9th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,489
On to Bali '14
kmkrnn is offline  
Nov 10th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,892
Nicky, Billy - I'd love to have this out of the way by Wednesday. Probably won't happen though.

To start our second day in Japan, we had arranged to meet Peter (hawaiiantraveller) and Linda in the hotel lobby. They had arrived at Citadines late the night before. From there, we went out to the cafe that we had found the previous day and enjoyed catching up with them over breakfast. Afterwards, we headed our separate ways - Peter and Linda to do some shopping, Craig and Jeane to do some sightseeing. We hopped on the subway and headed to Asakusa to browse the Nakamisi Dori (colorful bazaar street) and to see the popular Buddhist temple, Sensojo. There was a light rain but I took some photos of the bazaar street, the temple and the activity around it anyway. The temple was our first exposure to some of the Japanese rituals - burning incense, having fortunes told, etc. The 5-story pagoda was pretty impressive.

From there, we hopped back on the subway to Ueno Park. The park is deceptively huge, so we wound up doing a lot of walking, starting with the zoo. There was one giant panda at the zoo and it was the featured attraction, especially for the school kids. The rain had stopped so we enjoyed a couple of hours strolling and looking at the diverse variety of animals in this world-class venue. The zoo has two sections - east and west. Access to the subway and the other major attractions in the park is from the main gate on the east side. We had worked our way downhill from east to west so we were grateful that the zoo featured a monorail that could return us to the east side without the climb.

From the zoo we walked to the Tokyo National Museum. The light rain had resumed so we looked forward to the indoor activity. The museum consisted of several large buildings but our research had told us to focus on the Asian and Japanese galleries. That made it quite manageable. I thought that Singapore’s Asian Civilizations Museum was more interesting than the Asian gallery here. The Japanese gallery was well laid out and we liked that it was geared to display the highlights, since that is all we were really interested in seeing. By the time we finished, we were getting tired and decided to call it a day. As we worked our way down the main road of the park, we saw lots of activity - walkers on stilts, mimes, dancers and musicians - we weren’t really sure what it was all about but it kept us entertained during our long walk back to the subway.

Although I had compiled a list of Shinjuku restaurants for dinner, I decided that we could do just as well by going to some place in the neighborhood of our hotel. After consulting with the helpful folks at reception, we decided on a small teppanyaki place just a block and a half away. It was perfect - just the right amounts of meat and veggies for both of us - and reasonable. Since it was early (just after 6 PM), we were the only ones there. Our server spoke a decent amount of english so it was easy communicating what we wanted. Bob (rhkkmk) and Karen (kmkrnn) were to arrive that evening. Peter and Linda had invited us to join the four of them for a late dinner. However, we had not yet adjusted to Japan time and knowing we would be tired by then, we took a pass. Thankfully we did, as we hit the sack almost immediately upon returning from the restaurant.

Next: Tokyo, day 3 and a Fodor’s GTG
Craig is offline  
Nov 10th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,489
Keep it coming

kmkrnn is offline  
Nov 10th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,283
Craig, I agree with you about the National Museum; not a bad way to spend a couple of hours but not a must. I liked the Edo-Tokyo Museum much better.
tripplanner001 is online now  
Nov 10th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,433
I was just teasing about finishing. Take your sweet old time. Not only is this supremely helpful, but it's got me so very excited to go!
filmwill is offline  
Nov 10th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,076
Thanks so much for the detail, I'm taking notes for our 4 day layover in June
FromDC is online now  
Nov 10th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,466
Me too Craig, no pressure . Noting the details.
Smeagol is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:33 PM.