Cooking school and elephant visit-North Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for suggestions for the best day-long cookery school program and for a day or two with elephants--not a ride, but grooming, feeding, education, bathing, etc.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 04:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I've stayed a number of times at Gap's House in Chiang Mai. I haven't taken the cooking course but others seem to love it and it's very popular:
http://www.gaps-house.com/
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 04:56 PM

MaryW and Smeagol wrote about a cooking school they like: http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...n-thailand.cfm
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 04:59 PM

For elephants, either the Thai Elephant Conservation center near Lampang or the Elephant Nature Park. Those are the only two I'd consider near Chiang Mai.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Kathie-Thanks! Are there others in other areas in the North. We are going to be there 11-12 days total.
Hanuman and MmePerdu-thanks! checking them out now.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 09:40 PM

We did both elephant camp and cooking school at the Anantara in the Golden Triangle area. The elephant experience is a a division of the Elephant Conservation Centre - you can spend as much time as you want hanging out with and grooming, bathing, feeding the elephants (including babies).

Cooking school included a market visit in a non-touristy town and preparation of a delicious four-course lunch. Both the elephants and the cooking were stellar experiences, and the Anantara in general is a magical place with gorgeous rooms and views overlooking Burma and Laos. Recently, however, it has begun to only offer a very high all-inclusive rate, although it covers meals, elephant activities, cooking school, treks, day trips into Burma and spa treatments. We also visited the market in Chiang Rai when we were there.

The nearby Four Seasons Tented Camp nearby offers access to the same elephants and is even pricier, but looks fantastic.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 10:09 PM

We spent 4 days at the Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School and couldn't recommend it too highly. http://www.thaicookeryschool.com/

We stayed at the school and the accommodation is pretty good too. Spacious rooms, lovely gardens and great breakfasts. It is on the outskirts of CM but they will take you anywhere you want to go at any time. I have taken a number of cooking courses at various places around the world and this was by far the best. What really makes it special is the staff. All are very friendly, entertaining and very helpful. For more details see my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...n-thailand.cfm
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 04:09 PM

You can volunteer for a week or a month at the Elephant Nature Park, and can even travel with them to outlying villages. It's a great place.