Cooking Class Golden Triangle area

Jan 14th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Cooking Class Golden Triangle area

Hi, we are off to stay at Anantara Resort next week for 5 days. We would like to experience cooking class but Anantara's costs US$50. Wondering if there is anyone else in the area offering classes. Assume Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai would be too far away?
Thanks, Vicki
Jan 15th, 2004, 05:52 AM

Yes, Chaing Mai or Chaing Rai would be too far away from the Anantara to take a cooking class.

$50 for a cooking class isn't bad. There is a post here about the Blue Elephant's classes in Bangkok, I believe they are $70.

The class at the Anantara includes a trip to the market in Chaing Sean, cooking instruction by the chef, then cooking the dishes yourself, then a full meal of your dishes.

The cooking class has a different menu every day, so choose the menu you are most interested in.
Jan 15th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie, I guess it isn't that bad after all. I spoke to a friend here in Shanghai who has taken classes at a fancy hotel here and it is about the same. Won't have time in Bangkok. Really looking forward to some warm weather. Cheers
Jan 15th, 2004, 06:19 PM

have you had any contact with the hotel about the classes....?? i sent them an e-mail a week or so ago and they have not answered...i am staying there in june

what else are you planning on doing while in the area??

are you having them pick you up at the chiang rai airport??
Jan 15th, 2004, 11:03 PM

Do they give the classes everday? I will be staying at the Anantara in March? How long is the class if you find out?
Jan 16th, 2004, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

Yes I did hear from them, maybe they haven't responded to you as yet rhkkmk 'cos you're not going for a few months. The sheet they sent doesn't say on what days it is done, so assume would be on if they have folks interested. The programme is:
0730-0830 Optional Market Trip or Proceed to Nursery herb garden
0830-0900 Spirit House Blessing
0900-0915 Staff Introduction
0915-1000 Lecture Topic & Activities
1000-1300 Practical Cooking Class
1300-1400 Food Tasting
1415 Receive a certificate of completion of course.

Oh yes, it's US$50++ (forgot the ++ earlier). You also get an apron and refreshment drink, along with the recipe and certificate.

I don't have any set plans on what else we get up to, just go with the flow. I haven't been to Chiang Rai before, so I should have had a night there before going on to Anantara but too late now so perhaps we will go back for the day during our 5 nights. Definitely want a trip down the river and a few cushy items of pampering and maybe a hill tribe visit or similar. I need to read Kathie's notes again on what she got up to recently.
Will let you know how it all goes.
Oh and yes, I have decided to get them to pick us up from airport - cost is US$50. In their email they mentioned some local carrier at US$30 but as I don't need the hassle of trying to find someone when I arrive, I'll just use their services. Will check around on arrival and maybe use someone else for the return trip. I'll make a post later on what that outcome was.
Cheers

Jan 16th, 2004, 06:42 AM

thanks for the response...we probably will use their transportation too as we hope to stop for part of the day in chiang mai on the way up....my wife needs new elephant coffee cups from previous trips and we haven't seen them elsewhere...go figure...

enjoy...i'll look for your post or send it [email protected]

bob
Jan 16th, 2004, 07:22 AM

Airport transportation: my memory is that the $50 was roundtrip. I thought it was a bargain. (in checking my receipt, it must be $50++ roundtrip)

Cooking class: Do take the trip to the market. I love markets, and this was a wonderful opportunity to ask questions and learn about produce and products I sometimes see at the Asian markets at home. There is a schedule of the cooking classes, a different class each day of the week. You prepare three dishes each class.
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:17 PM

Hi

I've just book 3 nights at the Anantara for this August and would be really interested to hear how you get on. The cooking class is something that I would be interested in as well

Could you post the email address for the Anantara so I can contact them direct.

Many Thanks