Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Convincing Boyfriend of the Joys of Thai Cooking Class?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the long title but I wanted to be specific!

I would love to take a full day cooking class in Chiang Mai. My boyfriend isn't even a wee bit interested.

We generally spend some time on our own when on holiday but I want him to come with me for selfish reasons. I want him to learn Thai cooking so he can cook a few dishes without my help! He has a few non Thai dishes that he can cook well and he even enjoys it.

I would love to hear from ladies whose husbands/boyfriends have truly enjoyed a cooking class in Thailand. Better yet, I would love to hear directly from the men that have attended and enjoyed it!

I would also like to hear from the ladies whose husbands didn't enjoy it.

I don't want to try to convince him if I think he will be miserable doing it. he is very good natured and will do it if I tell him it is important to me.

Thanks!
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Hi, my husband and i took a cooking class at the Chiang Mai Cookery School a few years back and he absolutely loved it! But then again, he likes cooking (eventhough i do most of the cooking at home)..And i loved it too...So it was actually something that we both liked!!
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 05:29 PM

Hi
similar experience to TraceyB - husband and I both loved the class - although in reality, we hardly ever cook (let alone cook Thai).
Some of the classes combine a short trip to the market to see the local produce - my husband did that trip and said it was really interesting. (I did the other activity which was to mash my own curry paste - sore arm!)
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 05:39 PM

My husband and I do a cooking class every time we go to Chiang Mai. We love it and it is the highlight and most fun day. In all the classes that I have taken it is most all couples. In September the class had couples mostly in their 20-30's. We have cooked very little when we got home, but it is a wonderful way to taste different dishes and find out about the ingredient at the market. I highly recommend going to the market.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 05:54 PM

i did the cooking class at the anantara golden triangle with my wife and a new friend we had met there....

it was one of perhaps 4 highlights of that trip....it was 1/2 day and included a trip to the local market....the chef was a hoot and we had tons of laughs and learned quite a bit as well...

i look forward to doing another on the next trip....

could someone list the private cooking schools they know of in bangkok---non-hotel/restaurant ones....thanks
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone so far!

I have looked up several cooking classes in Chiang Mai and read all the reports on here but this might also be a good place to list some Chiang Mai cooking classes:

Thai Cookery School at www.thaicookeryschool.com

Baan Thai Cookery School at http://www.cookinthai.com/

Kaohom at http://www.kaohom.com/

Smart Cook at http://www.chiangdao.com/chiangmai/smartcook.htm

Four Seasons but I am too frugal to pay $150 for a one day course!

These are just a few I have researched.

Please add more if you have been or heard of others!

Cheers!

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:46 PM

Hi 150$ is way too much for an all day cooking class in Chang Mai, last november I paid about 20$ US for an all day course that was very fun.

Most hotel's will have brochure's for various cooking schools and i'm sure it wont be that expensive.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Nick, I had checked out the Four Seasons cooking class because I figured it would be a nice excuse to check out this incredible hotel. Their class is $150 per day and, as I said, I am too frugal to pay that amount.

Most of the ones I have researched were between $20-30 USD for a day.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 08:13 AM

We just returned from Thailand, and we took a cooking course in Chiang Mai. My husband VERY reluctantly agreed to take the class with me. Basically, I pointed out that, as it was a whole day, he would be at loose ends anyway, as he doesn't like to shop. We took the course at Baan Thai Cooking School, and just had a blast! There were two other couples in the course, which relieved my husband right away. We went to the market, and then back to the school, and it was so much fun. Now that we are home, my husband is pouring over the cookbook (provided free) to see what ingredents we need to make a couple of the dishes - his favourite is Tom Yam soup, and mine is Pad Thai and Green Curry, all of which were luckly included in the course the day we took it - the menu changes every day. Urge, (or shame) your boyfriend into taking the course. It really was one of the highlights of our trip - for both of us!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 08:21 AM

eurotraveler- for the sake of your relationship it is best not to try to change certain things. If the guy is not into cooking- accept it and move on.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 01:18 PM

I highly recomend Baan Thai cooking class too. I took the same one with a friend of mine at it was the best fun. I think we booked it from the main Rydges hotel in town (very nice hotel 4stars, about 30US a night).

The woman hosting it 'Bam' was very lively and had heaps of personality.

http://www.cookinthai.com
pictures: http://www.cookinthai.com/webphoto.php
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 01:26 PM

eurotraveller, my 24 year old son took the cooking course at Chiang Mai Cooking school last year and really enjoyed it.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

BillT, if you reread my post you will see that my boyfriend does, indeed, enjoy cooking. It is just that he has done no research for this trip and he knows nothing about it.

I told him I would post this question here and that he could decide based on what people replied back to this thread.

BTW, have you taken the class, Bill, and if so, is there a cooking school you recommend?
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 04:37 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't been yet, but have reservations in February at A Lot of Thai (www.alotofthai.com) - website looks great. We didn't want to spend a whole day so are just doing the evening class. They're picking us up at our hotel a little before 4. It's from 4:00-7:30 p.m. and is just 600 baht. Sounds like a great fun. Euro - are we still on for the lady-boy show in Bangkok on Feb 24? We don't have our reservations yet, because they wanted us to fax our credit card number and it was expensive - so we decided to wait till we arrive and have the hotel concierge book it for us. But we'll still planning on the 24th - hope to see you there!
Karen
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 04:10 AM

eurotraveler- ok I'm guilty of not reading your post carefully! No I have not taken a cooking course- its not my cup of tea- even though I do cook at home. The wife does not cook either- so this sort of thing is not what we want to do while on vacation.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Karen, yes! We are still on for the 24th! We didn't make reservations either so maybe we can meet up before hand so we can sit together? We will be flying in from Chiang Mai that day. We still don't have the hotel booked for our return to Bangkok but we plan on doing that on Saturday.

Karen, if I remember correctly you are heading to Chiang Mai early in your trip? We will be in that area between the 18th and the 24th.

Bill, cooking is one of my great passions and my boyfriend would do it more often if he had a few more recipes under his belt. Neither of us use a cook book.

After I read him the replies to my post he is excited about the class! We will report back upon our return.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Tamara, yes, we're going to Chiang Mai earlier in our trip. We'll be in Luang Prabang when you're in CM. I was thinking we overlapped at the very beginning of our trip - we're arriving in BKK late on the 6th and will be there five nights, leaving on Saturday the 11th. We plan to have the concierge get us reservations then. Aren't we both staying at Centre Point Shilom?
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Looks like our trip will overlap at the beginning and at the end. We arrive on the 5th and depart for Ko Phi Phi on the 8th.

We are going to save Luang Prabang for our next trip to SE Asia. It will be fun to here about that part of your trip when we get together!
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 06:08 PM

Tamara, We'll get a message to you on the 7th at the hotel to see if we can meet up and make the show arrangements together. Looking forward to it!
Karen
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 08:23 PM

we went to Baan Thai Cookery School at http://www.cookinthai.com/ and it was a real blast. The place was clean and the kitchen was out back.

We learnt to make a couple of basic dishes and then we ate them for lunch.

The half day course took us to a local market and back [walking]

Its a family business and the english of the girl running it was fantastic.

Not everyones cup of tea but we liked it!

Be warned.. You have to spend alot of time on your knees cooking!