Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Thailand Honeymoon in October - Too Rainy?? Would you do it?

Feb 17th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Hello.

This is my first time posting on this board, however, I have been reading all of your informative posts for a few weeks now.

I would love to go to Thailand for my honeymoon - it's our first choice. However, we would be going from Oct. 11th/12th through October 23rd or so, which I know to be a transitional month season-wise.

We would do the common Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket/Koh Samui route (in that order). I have read on this board that Koi Samui is a safer bet during the rainy season, but that when we might be there (Oct. 18-23rd) is actually when Koi Samui starts to experience its own rainy season.

I'm OK with it raining for a bit during the day as long it eventually clears up. However, knowing that it is our honeymoon and we plan to splurge and go luxury for most of the trip, would you go in October if it were your honeymoon???? I fear spending a lot of $$ for a beach resort (I'm most concerned about the beach aspect of the trip as it rains "less" in Chiang Mai at that time) just to have flooding and rain the whole time. That said, if you had to choose an island Koh Samui or Phuket for Oct. 18-23rd, which would you choose for better weather?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Feb 17th, 2004, 05:06 PM

End of October is really a 'close call', you are looking at around 12 ins of rain for Phuket and aroun 10 for Samui. You are right when you say it changes and a transitional period, last year was particulary heavy in both places. What you have on the plus side is that it's not a busy period so you could opt for Samui but perhaps just book your first or maybe 2 nights and then see what the weather is like. The daily Bangkok Post or Nation papers have detailed weather coverage. If it looks like rain is heading your way but it's not so bad Phuket/Krabi way then you can just change location. I think that is your best bet, you could be lucky and have sunshine all the way, it is too unpredictable to call.
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:00 AM
sandi

We traveled to Cambodia/Thailand mid-October thru beg-November and knew this was the end of the rainy season. Watched the weather boards for days ahead and sure enough the skies cleared in time for our day of departure.

This is not to say we didn't have some showers. Our first days in Cambodia were very hot & very humid as expected, with not a drop of wet.

Once in Thailand, we had a brief (15-min.) shower late afternoon first day; second day the skies opened in sheets of water (1/2-hr). That was all the rain in BKK. Further north, Chiang Mai was dry and once at the Triangle, has some light drizzle early the morning when we were getting ready to head south to Phuket. Upon arrival in Phuket there was a storm (1/2-hr) that ended upon landing. That was it. No more rain.

Otherwise, we had mostly sunny, very hot & very humid (a few overcast days [in BKK] which were a relief from the sun).

None of the drizzle, showers or the one storm inhibited our being able to enjoy our time. And except for the storm upon arrival in Phuket, the weather was fine at this beach area. That was our experience.

Feb 18th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Personally, I don't think I would chance either Samui or Phuket, esp. for a honeymoon as esp. as good beach weather seems to be important to you. Have you considered going to Bali, and/or splitting the trip into a week in Bangkok and Chiang Mai and then a week on Bali? This would give you the best of both. You can fly non-stop to Bali from Bangkok in 4.5 hours. Very good beach weather in Bali in October, and some great hotels. I would head up to the Amankila on the east coast of Bali (take a look at amanresorts.com)

As Thailand has more to see (esp Bangkok) you might do 4 days Bangkok, 3 days Chiang Mai, and then go to Bali. Remember if flying west from the US, you will "lose" a day flying, and gain a day flying back. If you can depart on Sun Oct 10 from the US and depart from Asia on Sunday the 24, that would give you maximum time. (On your return flight, you would arrive in the US on the same day you depart, i.e. Sunday, at about the same time you left Asia. That is how you "gain" a day. On your flight out, if you leave on Sunday October 10, you would arrive in Bangkok sometime on Monday, Oct 11. )

This would be best with an open jaw ticket flying from the US into Bangkok and out of Denpassar, Bali back to the US. You would do the inter-Thailand and Thailand-Bali flights on your own, our a travel agent might be able to do a package airfare.

Another option would be to go to Hong Kong for 3-4 days and spend the rest of the time in Bali. That would give a nice mix of a great city and a great beach/mountains/relaxation destination. Late October is very nice weather in Hong Kong, not hot. You can fly non-stop to Bali from Hong Kong in about 5 hours.
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:33 PM

I would also recommend Bali at the time of year you are going. We went sept/oct 2002 and the weather was fabulous.

The suggestion of Bangkok/Chiang Mai/Bali sounds a great idea. Have you considered going to Chiang Rai whilst you are up North. I am going out to Thailand in August and have decided to stop just outside Chiang Rai rather than visit Chiang Mai.