Confusion: Central World Plaza or Central Chidlom

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I’m a bit confused.. Are Central World Plaza and Central Chidlom (Chitlom) the same stores. I am looking at visiting the store which many fodorites have mentioned as a very god place to shop.. Which one is a better place to shop? I do not want to visit any upscale shops… Normally clothes shopping, bags, shoes etc…I guess there is a very famous food court also out there.. The Loft or Greyhound or something like that…Are there three central stores.. Central Chidlom, Central Chitlom and Central World Plaza?
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:16 PM

Chidlom and Chitlom are used interchangeably. They are the same. Central World Plaza is different. The one you want to go to is Central Chitlom/Chidlom with the food court, The Loft and Greyhound Cafe.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

Oh.. ok. Thanks a lot.. I’m glad I clarified..I would have landed up at Central World Plaza and would be busy finding The Loft…
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:36 AM

I'm glad you are going to try the Loft and/or Greyhound. Both are terrific lunch places in BKK. The Central Chitlom is my favorite department store in BKK.

Central World Plaza is a very large mall with a couple of nice department stores (one at each end... Zen and Isetan) but no Loft! This mall used to be called World Trade Center. They changed the name (9-11 related?) and it has been confusing ever since. I still prefer to call it World Trade Center (WTC).

Before I forget, WTC and Central Chitlom store are within a pretty easy (but hot) walk of one another, if you want to combine the two on a shopping venture.
Carol
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:56 AM

The Central World Plaza used to be called the World Trade Center. It hasn't been renamed for that long. There is a Haagen Daz in that one...a great escape from the heat. And on the top floor there is a crafts center. However the huge Thai craft center called Nyanaphand(sp?)I know this spelling is wrong...it's early and either my brain isn't functioning yet or Orgy 7's spelling is getting contagious...but that craft store is across the street from the World Trade Center. I like Central Chitlom better because of the department store there...although my favorites are Gaysorn Mall/ Emporium/Siam-Siam Discovery/ and Amarin Plaza. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 09:38 AM

West of the World Trade Plaza is the famous Mahboonklong (MBK for short) shopping centre with over 2000 vendors within. It has 8 air conditioned floors of both large and small stores as well as a maze of vendor stalls selling everything from clothes, furniture and jewelry. Arranged around an open atrium, it looks like total chaos for the first timer, with an incomprehensible floor plan, blaring pop music, flashing neon signs, giant video screens advertising products and huge crowds. The top floor has a movie multiplex and a video arcade (great for children). Other than the night markets or weekend market, this is a great place to buy inexpensive goods. From the WTP it is around a 20 minute walk which would not be bad except for the heat. You can also take the skytrain to the National Stadium stop and then take the walkway right to the complex.
Just for interest of those from wintery climates, there is (or used to be) a large skating rink at the WTP. Very popular with thai teenagers.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:13 PM

both are part of CENTRAL group. which is one of biggest retail companies in thailand. central chitloem is the fllagship store.

my favorite CENTRAL store is Central Lad Prao. it a big modorn mall with a huge CENTRAL department store, and he basement houses many funky shops I've yet to see in any other mall..

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:16 PM

Orgy7
Where is Central Lad Prau? Sounds like an interesting place.
Carol
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:23 PM

Central Lad Proa is at the intersection of Viphavadi Rangsit road and Paholyothin Road. You can see it from the Don Muang(airport) tollway going to or from the airport. It also has a Sofitel Central Plaza hotel in the complex. There is also an underground station there.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:40 PM

gaysorn plaza is also in the same area as central chitlom....while it is predoninately an upscale mall, its 3rd floor has some very interesting shops...the thai handi craft store behind it is well worth a visit as well....they are just across the main road from central world plaza...
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:45 PM

Thanks hanuman. I shall try to make a stop there sometime.
Carol