Search

BKK Shopping

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BKK Shopping

It has been a few years since my last BKK visit so I am interested in some shopping tips for an upcoming trip. I know I read a post here a while ago that listed lots of different places for getting some Thai crafts etc but now I can't find it. I must admit that my previous shpping trips have involved wandering where my feet take my various markets and there were a few stores in the World Trade Centre where I always managed to get quite a few things for gifts. So I was just interested in any specific locations for Thai gifts or things for the home etc.With regards to Jim Thompson if I am only going to go to one Jim Thompson place where would you recommend. (In 5 trips I have never been to Jim Thompsons House so will possibly do that this time but apart from there should I do the outlet or store...do I have that right and roughly were are they located?)

Thank you all so much in advance.
J
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:55 PM

there is now a shop at the jim thompson house....the best shop is the main one on suriwong however...

the nite market in bkk is good for general one stop shopping, providing it is still open...

the thai craft store directly across from the former world trade center is excellent for crafts as well...

we buy the best crafts from the thai craft organizations saturday sales at the ambasssoador hotel on soi 11 sukumvit....check their web site for upcoming sales: www.thaicraft.org
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:09 AM

Jules
Bob has given you some good advice. My favorite would probably Nari Phand which is located right across the street from Central World Plaza (formerly World Trade Center). There are at least two floors (basement has best bargains).

I also like the Suan Lum night bazaar. It should still be open, as a friend told my son (brad in bangkok) that his lease is still good until Feb 07. The night market is doing a great business right now so maybe they will let it stay open!

The two stores in Central World might be the "A B C" stores??? I've also bought Thai craft items there. As far as I know, those stores are still there, although there have been major renovations going on in Central and the entire Siam shopping area. The new Paragon mall has all the other malls working on facelifts to keep up with the Joneses!

Have a great time shopping. BKK is my favorite shopping place (2nd place goes to the Bahnhofstrasse in Zurich).

Carol
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:24 AM

I second the vote for Narai Phand. It is your best bet for one-stop crafts shopping. Prices are pretty reasonable and there is a wide selection on the 3 floors. Note that the shops surrounding the store are NOT part of Narai Phand.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:51 AM

But I really do like Khun Daeng shop, which is right in front of Nari Phand. Neat stuff, more reasonably priced (IMO)than its counterpart store, NaRaYa. Both stores have a nice selection of little items for a lady's purse or suitcase. Lots of cosmetics bags, toothpick holders, purses, notepad holders, bedroom items, and travel bags. Cute prints. Some cotton, some silk. There is a large NaRaYa on the first floor at Central World Plaza. Check out both places! I always do.
Carol
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:33 AM

In terms of the Jim Thompson stores, the main store on Suriwong has a selection MUCH larger than any other. The outlet store has an odd variety of discontinued patterns and such. I've gotten some incredible bargains there on JT purses, T-shirts, little silk jewelry boxes and fabric.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Carol I always find things for gifts in NaRaYa so always pay a visit there. Kathie I think I will try the Jim Thompson outlet store to see what treats they may have. Where is the outlet store?
Thanks again everyone
J
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:43 AM

Pull up my Bangkok trip report 2005/2006 by typing in "Siam Ocean World". I was in Bangkok for three weeks and have done a report on shopping in that thread. Happy Travels!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:05 PM

Jules
You might have a look at Khun Daeng if you like NaRaYa. You might find some other little things to take home. It's right at the top of the stairs as you enter Nari Phand.
Have fun.
Carol

(I also love the "big" Jim Thompson store)
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone. I will be checking it out. Guenmai you write a great report. Thanks
J
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Glad you liked the report. Happy Travels!