Commuting on the Chao Praya

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an Insight Pocket Map that shows Bangkok, but I can't quite get the scale of things. I see that Sathorn (Central Pier) must be a river boat stop and that it is a short walk to the Saphan Taksin skytrain stop. How short is the walk? Looks like one long city block.

The location of the Marriott R&S is south of Sathorn, I think, and on the other side of the river. How convenient is the river boat pier to that hotel and how long does it take to get to Sathorn?

How long is the ride from Sathorn, with a couple of stops, to Rachawong? How long from Rachawong to Tha Phra Chan (which looks like the pier most convenient for the National Museum.

I saw the pics on the webpage that Kathie mentioned on another thread. I was surprised to see how flat the area was down there (just north of Taksin Bridge). Is the area east of Grand Palace, around "Giant Swing", on a hill? Or is the whole city flat?

Walking from Th. Yaowarat along Rachawong to the pier, is this downhill or flat? How far?

If the "Royal Turf Club" is what was referred to as the Army track, then I am interested. The grandstand faces in the direction of Chitralada Palace. Would the palace be visible from the track or is it surrounded by trees?
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 07:44 PM

the piers are all hitched together at taskim...it takes 10-15 minutes from the marriott to the pier...the boat runs every 15 minutes from about 6AM to 11? PM...the skytrain is a 1 minute walk from the pier...its all along a covered sidewalk, or at least partially covered....i think the ride up the river to the palace on the C.P express boat must take 20-25 minutes and costs about 6-8B...

the city is very flat...remember it was the venice of thailand...canal water does not flow up hills....

there are a couple of large sports clubs in the center of the city...one near to the four seasons hotel and i think another in the siam area...

while distances are not all that far it is difficult to get around quickly during the day unless you use the skytrain and the river....i usually use a combo of the train and taxis....
don't know how the new subway will affect things....no one mentions it??? orgy???
i have not found a wonderful map of bkk...i use a combo...

to walk from the river out to new road which passes the complete overhead staion of taskim will take about 2 minutes....a long city block as you say...by the way there is a robinsons department store at the end of that block with a great grocery store in the basement...

i think that you will find walking about the city somewhat difficult and frustrating....at first we used to walk a lot and couldn't figure out why we did not accomplish as much as we wanted and then we started to use public transportation (not busses) and taxis more and it all came into clear view....
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 08:24 AM

don't get me going on the subeway.... it's verry nice and all, but just about useless for large parts of the population.. I believe it was just build too link the convention center too the bus terminals and give some business too the "soapies" alang soi RATCHADA... for the tourist is dosn't link anything the BTS already offer, exept for main train station which is good.

one of few routs I see usefull for touist is the short silom - lumpini ride wich gets ya from pat pong area too the Suan Lum Night Bazaar

http://www.angkor.com/2bangkok/2bang...stations.shtml
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Any of those subway stops near the Holiday Inn? My bid at priceline was accepted yesterday morning, so that is where I will be staying at the end of Dec.

I've read about the "soaplands" that they have in Japan. Is that what you mean by "soapies".
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 07:22 PM

patpong is quite near to the HI...

speaking of the HI...maybe you saw my previous posts about it....i visited in may to see how bad or good it is...had only been in the lobby before which is a bit of a turn off honestly....i was pleasantly surprised...the reg. rooms and the exec rooms are roughly identical, except that i found the mattresses in the reg rooms are a 4 inche foam---not too comfortable at all...the exec. mattresses are thick well supported standard quality hotel mattresses....so i fell it is worth the extra $25 a nite to upgrade...in addition you get the use of a very nice lounge, with drinks and goodies, plus unlimited free internet...
the pool is only fair....remember the fish pond just off the breakfast restaurant at the bali conrad...there is some likeness there....

overall HI is a very good location...lots doing on silom rd all the time....you are only a 15 minute walk from the river....

if you have other hotel needs you know i am sure that my personal favorite is the marriott resort and spa on the river....centre point serviced apartments are also quite nice...there are several scattered around bkk...

if you need more write directly: [email protected]

bob
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 08:13 PM

Salidang BTS is your closest mass transit option.. and it's a pritty sweaty anoying 15-25 minute walk... the subway is another 2-3 minuts down.. (next too Dussit hotel).. if you walk too station stay on the side walk where your hotel is on.. if you cross over pedestrian trafic is crazy especialy at night (this is where the "night market is" so you could easaly take about over half an hour too reach the sky train at night.

soapies on Rachada are huge 8 story tall massage parlours/adult entertainment centers.. from what I see on the news it's the once with the 100 plus girls sitting behind glass enclosures(sp) wating too be picked..
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

I did see your review of the HI. About the Conrad Bali, I do remember. I don't think that I actually went into the pool there or at the place in Sanur. The great thing about the Conrad, for me, was the bed and pillows. After I saw your reccomendation of the upgrade at HI, I called the 800 number and then called the hotel. The girl in Bangkok told me that I could request the upgrade on arrival. Tried to get her to change the res, but not sure that was done.

I believe that this HI Silom was formerly a Crowne Plaza. I think my map shows a BTS station at Surasak about 2 blocks from the hotel. Wouldn't that be more convenient than Salidang?
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 09:24 AM

you are correct it was crowne plaza until about 2.5 years ago...

not sure about station names....you will be happy with the upgraded room...and the bennies...

make sure you try harmonique which is just off of new road...the best thai food at a reasonable price...you can walk there....we also have liked an italien place at silom village which is not far from HI on the other side of silom...as you face the village it is on the left on the 2nd floor overlooking the street...
i have tons of restaurant suggestions when you are ready...

bob
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:30 PM

Yes yes.. Mrwwnrfl.. you are correct...and actually you helped me out a lot I never thought about taking the train down that way and just walking up, thanks. and one last things Im ripping up this useless bus map I bought a couple of months ago...Im still not sure if the new maps show the subway but I'll check this weekend.