to: rhkkmk

Jan 29th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

to: rhkkmk

BKK thought we'd stay at the ROS, but with all the fab reviews about the Marroitt, I'm re-thinking. Please clarify: I was under the impression that youhad to take a boat to get anywhere from the Marriott as it was a bit down river and not near a sky train stop. What kind of neighborhood is the Marriott in and how easy is it to get around town from there? We're doing this trip sans driver. thanks for your help, once again. Jan
Jan 29th, 2005, 06:44 AM

hi jan---let me start by saying that we love the marriott....it is our #1 over-all choice in bkk...it is not the most lux, but it is exceedingly comfortable, its staff are very very friendly, its beds are the best and it simply has the nicest pool area in bkk..

location: some feel that it is out of the way...i disagree...i feel it is an oasis, slightly removed from the hustle and bustle of bkk life...

the boat (free) takes 15 minutes directly to the skytrain stop (taskim)--end of the line....it runs every 15 minutes...we love this ride and the boat men become your friends...they are kind and gentle.... we look forward to the boat ride each day...

taxis are always available at the hotel...they wait out on the street and the doorman calls one for you...taxis are very cheap...you can get almost anyplace for $1-2. ...the bridge adajacent to the hotel is often clogged with traffic however...the next bridge up the river is often used and it has tons of traffic as well...thus the boat is often your best bet....i do use taxis very frequently however...i like to arrive cool and relaxed...

the neighborhood: i would call it a working class neighborhood...nothing you will be interested in really...there are shops, internet, 7-11's, etc....i know of no restaurants in the immediate area...

the mini-mall attached to the hotel offers many services: several restaurants., fast food:burger king, mc donalds, sizler, thai food, korean food, swensons ice cream, pizza....drug store, bakery, bank, shoe shop, glasses, tailors, jewerlers, souveniers, furniture, laundry....it sounds big but it maybe has 40 or less shops....

the marriott is the perfect spot for a vacation in a city...it is the only true resort in bkk proper...easy access to the highway to airport as well...

at the marriott you feel like you are in the country, even though you are in the middle of a major city....

i hate the sheraton....it is a non-descript hi-rise...it could be any place: tokyo, london, new york, des moines.....i did not find the staff friendly, nor did i find them unfriendly---they were neutral...it is in a good location but it will take you as long to get to the skytrain from here as from the marriott..
the rooms are ok but nothing special...they are comfortable however...we had a suite, so maybe that is not fair to judge...some here love the ROS, especially gpanda and kathie who always stays in the tower rooms...we had a bad experience with fumes in our rooms and they did not seem to care really....i would never go back there, unless it was free and then i might think about it...it does have the very nice river city shopping center directly next door and lots of river related activities in the neighborhood...good restaurants nearby as well...they have two pools... the one in the portugese embassy (next door--they lease the land) is very very nice...

GIVE THE MARRIOTT A TRY!!!!

bob
Jan 29th, 2005, 08:52 AM

Janak, I just wrote you a long comparison of the Royal Orchid and the Marriott and Fodors ate it! (Sometimes this website drives me crazy!)

Briefly, the advantage of the ROS is the location on the "right" side of the river, next to River City shopping center, next to the river taxi stop, near dining and shopping of all sorts. The Marriott is more out of the way, which may be an advantage or a disatvantage, depending on your point of view. Every room at the ROS has a full river view.

The building itself is nothing special. It has two lobbies, one for tour groups to check in or to congregate so that the other lobby is less crowded.

I alawys stay in the Towers, a "hotel within a hotel" like the Regency Club at the Hyatt. For me it's a good value. Breakfast, evening cocktails and canapes (enough to make a dinner for me!) and free laundry is included in your room price (Oh yes, and free internet access). You check in on the Club floor, and the service is excellent. The staff have always been ready to acommodate any request.

There is a beautiful Mandara Spa at the ROS. It's only a couple of years old and is beautifully designed and has wonderful spa services.

Bob was at the ROS during their remodeling, and he had fumes in his room the day thery were checking out. I have never had problems there. I will admit I am not fond of the new decor at the ROS - very modern and rather cold for my tastes. I loved the old decor in the Towers, with silk on the walls and beautiful carved teak.

I am going to visit the Marriott when I'm in Bangkok this year, because of Bob's rave reviews.

By the way. I always stay in a suite in the Towers. I can get a suite (including all of the amenities) for under US$200 by calling the 1-800 number for the Sheraton in the US.

Let me also say that I consider the most important thing in a hotel in Bangkok to be a river location. We all have our favorites. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter which place you choose, I expect you'll be back to Bangkok and can try a different hotel if you like on the next trip!
Jan 30th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Kathie & Bob: thank you. I'll give it a few days and then decide. both your points are good ones. I think for two days in BKK (anf given that my daughter IS NOT a shopper and I am ) the ROS might suit us better as she can go swimming,etc while I go to the adjacent mall. But, the idea of a real retreat sounds wonderful esp. the boat rides. thank you
Jan 31st, 2005, 11:57 AM

I hated the R.O Sheraton,too and just stayed there in Aug 2004. I had a standard room, but was given a complete tour of the towers. Not impressed at all, but to each his own.I have not tried the Marriot yet,it's on the list though, but have stayed at The Pen, Four Seasons, Siam Intercontinental( no longer around) Chateau de Bangkok by Sofitel, Metropolitan,just to name a few.Would return to them all except the RO Sheraton and the Pen. Happy Travels!
Feb 1st, 2005, 12:33 AM

The pool at the Sheraton is nothing to write home about, while the pool at the Marriott is huge, decked and has shade,an extremely rare and welcome commodity in Bangkok. They also have an very good and fun pool staff, happy hour begins when they ring the bell at 4 pm. You can have a massage by the hot tub. (Love the Penn, but no shade at that pool other than umbrellas which IMO are not as cool as tree shade.) The Marriott also has a great Mandara spa, same as the Sheraton.

The boat ride up the river is one of the pleasures of staying at the Marriott, IMO. You will not find it at all inconvienient.
Feb 1st, 2005, 05:29 AM

We stayed at the ROS in the towers last year based on Kathie's rave reviews and everything she said is true. However, if you want to go shopping, the River Center Shopping Center next door primarily has antique shops. If you want to do clothes and shoe shopping, you will need to go downtown (my wife did one whole day of shoe shopping at MBK). The ROS has a free shuttle to the skytrain, but as Bob said, that will probably take you as long as the boat from the Marriott. We have not stayed at the Marriott, but have stayed downtown at the Hyatt and recommend it if you decide not to stay on the river and want to be in the major shopping area. We enjoyed watching the activity on the river and riding the water taxis when we stayed at the ROS, but if all you want is two days of pool lounging for your daughter and shopping for you, then staying downtown might be better.
Feb 1st, 2005, 06:06 AM

ciccerone may not know that the ROS has two pools and the one in the portugese embassy is very nice and has lots of shade... i hate to say something nice about ROS but i have to add this...its the only thing i like about that place
Feb 1st, 2005, 06:15 AM

Bottom line is you'll be perfectly happy in either hotel, Janak, I just returned from the Marriott 3 weeks ago,and I loved it, but it is a resort, made for longer stays. However, I and my friends like the ROS very much as well. It has the best riverside location, bar none, for sightseeing and shopping. Its riverside bar/outdoor eating area, is lovely and relaxing-and is the best located of the waterfront bars, IMO. The ROS has a great outdoor Thai restaurant and show (not all of the Thai restaurant shows are that good, btw), the staff are helpful, their Mandara Spa is wonderful (much better than the Marriott) the area outside the hotel is an embassy district, it's walkable, there's a lot of action going on out and around the hotel-it's MUCH closer to the Grand Palace/Temple of the Emerald Buddha/Wat PHO-the major sightseeing venue in BKK- and given your short stay, you'll definitely want to see this,- with the river taxi, it's only two stops away, I think.

In short, you'll be very happy at both places, but given your time restraints, I definitely think the ROS is for you.
Feb 1st, 2005, 06:19 AM

Bob, I did not know about that second pool, but wonder if the embassy still permits use due to security issues? Anyway, I hope to get to Bangkok later this year and will check it out.
Feb 1st, 2005, 07:12 AM

Yes, the pool on the grounds of the Portuguese embassy is in use. It seems many people don't know about it. You walk past the pool with no shade and down the stairs into this lovely hideaway - gardens and a pool. The grounds belong to the embassy, but you can't access the embassy from the pool area.
Feb 1st, 2005, 09:21 AM

kathie describes it perfectly....it is a lovely area, very secluded and comfortable....it is poorly promoted, i agree...

while spygirl's statements are all true i find them somewhat misleading, but i do agree that you would be equally happy at either..
Feb 1st, 2005, 10:52 AM

I stayed at both the Marriott & ROS during the same week last October. I much preferred the Marriott and looked forward to the boat trip back to the hotel each day. They give you a bottle of cold water and a cold towel each return trip.

What I did like about the Sheraton was that I was on a high floor (Marriott is only 3 or 4 leves I think) and had spectacular views of the thunderstorms each evening.

The pool at the Marriott looks wonderful, but on the 1st day I noticed a large reptile (about 3 feet) walking along the edge. After that, there was no way my wife was going anywhere near the pool.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to my next trip staying at the Marriott in September this year.

Exactly where can you get your laundry done near the hotel? I wandered all over the parking garage and basement looking for the place.

Dave
Feb 1st, 2005, 08:10 PM

i caught the reptile so your wife is all set....
Feb 1st, 2005, 08:13 PM

if you enter the garage from the parking lot out by the street in the center of the mini-mall, the laundry is off to the right in a room with a glass door and windows.....there is also the laundry on the second floor of the mall next to monet il sarto, the tailor---i use both....

another laundry is to the right as you leave the hotel driveway....walk along the street until you come to the bus stop and the laundry is along there....
Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:21 AM

I will chime in and agree with Kathie about the ROS. We were there July/August 2004 and did indeed love it. The Towers are really worth it. You check in up there and they remember your name every time you walk in. Nearly every evening we had snacks and drinks and watched the river. There are newspapers and free internet acess there to check your email. I loved breakfast in the morning by the window watching all the locals and school children arrive by boat and head off to start their day.
Jan I went through this same process last year as I planned my trip for 5, everyone here is so knowledgeable and wonderful.
good luck and enjoy
and this summer we are using our Starwood points for 7 nights free (2 rooms) in the Carribean
Karen
Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:43 PM

why do I get the feeling that people in general tend too like where they stay as long as it's clean and confortable. and associate the hotel with the whole trip experience.. so if they enjoyed Bangkok they will most likely enjoy thier hotel no matter what and if they hated bangkok cuz it's a polluted dump they will remember that 2 millameeter mold spot on the bathroom tub.