Clothing for Business

Search

Clothing for Business

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clothing for Business

I have read a few suggestions on appropriate clothing in India, but most was focused on tourists.

I will be traveling to Chennai in 3 weeks on Business, and am female. I will be facilitating classes to our local contractors while there, which most likely will be a combination of men and women.

I would like to know what would be most appropriate. I am assuming the obvious (nothing sleeveless or low cut), but would skirts below the knee be inappropriate? I read on another forum that woman wearing pants may stand out as much as those wearing something too revealing.

Any suggestions would be great.

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 05:27 AM

You should be just fine wearing pants/slacks or a skirt (knee length). Corporate attire for women is almost the same there as it is anywhere else. Its better to play it safe, and it sounds like you are doing the right thing.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:19 AM

I am a woman and have done extensive business in India. There are many women in the professions in India, esp law and medicine, so businesswomen are not a unique phenomena. You will be addressed as an equal.

I don’t know where you read the advice about not wearing pants, as lots of Indian women wear them, either as part of a traditional Punjab outfit or on their own. Skirts are fine as well. I agree with you that your should err on the side of conservative dressing, but would say this for most countries if you want to be taken seriously. The streets are fairly dusty and dirty so I would avoid light colors and would wear sturdy shoes as sidewalks are uneven, broken or non-existent.

A short or long sleeve shirt or blouse with a jacket is good as you can remove the jacket if necessary (i.e. if there is no air conditioning). In my experience, offices will be air-conditioned. I would not wear a sleeveless blouse, as Indian woman generally do not do so (sari blouses generally have short or ¾ length sleeves). However, you really won't offend anyone if you do wear a sleeveless blouse, Indians are pretty easy going in my experience.

Men may or may not shake hands with you, it is the general practice but not always observed, esp in a social situation like a dinner, or with an older person. If you make the first move to shake hands it will be reciprocated, sometimes they are waiting for you to do so. Younger women will generally shake hands with you, older women most likely will not, unless in a business situation. You may be invited to dinner at a persons home, which is a nice opportunity to meet spouses, and is unique in my experience in doing business in other Asian countries, where restaurant dinners are more usual.

Always present a business card, as this helps them to pronounce your name, which may be an unusual one to them. Always get a business card, so you can do the same. Indians often use nicknames or different names and will tell you what to call them once you get to know them. I would use Mister or Doctor (if on a card, there are lots of people with advanced degrees) until they tell you what to call them. They may call you by Ms or Miss or Mrs, but younger Indians or Indians educated abroad may almost immediately start addressing you by your first name.

Many Indians follow strict dietary rules, but they don't expect you to live by them, and have no problem if you eat chicken in front of them and they are vegetarians. If you want to take clients out, I would let your Indian colleague or students pick a restaurant, as he/she will pick one that meets the needs of all the guests, i.e. vegetarian, etc.

If you give a gift to someone, most likely they will not open it in front of you, as this is considered impolite. If they do so, it is because they have learned that Westerners expect this; but do not be offended if they do not open it. If you are presented with a gift, you should thank them but you are not expected to open it then and there.

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much! Especially to Cicerone for addressing topics I hadn't even thought of yet.

I had been wondering about the appropriate greeting - to shake hands or not to shake hands - and was going to take the lead from my colleague in India who is organizing the training.

Thank you for your insight!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 09:32 PM

Being an Indian in Chennai, I would suggest the following dress code for you. Light coloured full sleeve shirt or blouse [preferably a light shade]with a dark coloured jacket with a dark below knees skirt. While Indian women do wear jeans regularly, they generally don't wear pants for business meetings, and while it probably won't offend anybody, you might stand out a bit.
Chennai is hot in this climate and so I would advise cotton blouse/shirt. Alternatively you could try out a Chudidar Kurta set [cotton of course] and surprise your hosts! Rest as per the advice given by Cicerone who seems to have travelled to India many times.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 06:21 AM

I am heading over to India for 2 weeks at the end of the month as well for work. I am a bit worried now as i have a few sleeveless tops (NOT tank tops) that i had for under my suit jacket as i know the heat will kill me.We are staying mostly in the Taj hotels at various loactions in India and going to fairs. Will It be inappropriate for me to weat these tops wi9thout a jacket or with a pashmina covering my shoulders. Its hard ehnough to find very light summer clothes at this time in Dublin (I managed to find a few linen things) but I can no longer handle intense heat like where I grew up in NJ in the summers.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 04:17 AM

If they are sleeveless rather than tank tops, I would say they are OK (even tank tops are OK, you would just get some stares, don't think you would lose business or anything...). If you can manage to keep a shawl on, more power to you, and that is even better. Anyway, if the fairs are indoors, you may find the air con is cold enough to keep a jacket on anyway, the same in restaurants; you can even get cold if the air con is too high which can be the case. If you go outdoors, then you can take the jacket off, no one expects you to keep a jacket on in the heat and eveyone will be sweating too much themselves to notice what you are wearing!!!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Thanks so much for the info. Much appreciated. I will try to give a trip report when I return.