Gurgaon, India- Dress and Leather Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for some feedback as to appropriate attire while residing in Gurgaon for an extended stay.
Are leather purses, boots, and shoes okay for everyday wear?
Are knee length skirts appropriate? I have read that shorts are not.
For exercise purposes in a climate with average summer temp of 105 degrees farenheit/41 celsius. . . are shorts okay?

Appreciate the feedback!
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:40 PM

Leather purses, shoes, etc are fine. In the first place, no one would dream of saying anything to you. Secondly, any place, like a Jain temple, which would not allow leather would have a sign in English about this. In those cases, you leave your items outside the temple. Finally many Indians wear goat leather, which is hard to distinguish from cow leather. So the assumption on their part may be that you have done the same. (It is only cow leather that is the religious issue.)

Knee length skirts are fine. Some of the younger modern women wear even shorter skirts. Trousers are fine as well. You will find a huge mix of dress in India these days.

Shorts on women are unusual, but you do see them in tourist places. Gurgaon of course is not a tourist place, so wearing shorts on the streets would be rather unusual. The most you would get are some stares, which may not be worth it. But for exercise, they are perfectly fine. I doubt you will be running on the streets of Gurgaon in any event. In the first place, there are virtually no sidewalks. (And you would have to <i>pay</i> me to run in the streets, traffic is crazy and roads in many cases are potholed.) In the second, it will be too hot (assuming your trip is in summer which seems to be the case based on your email). So you will be exercising indoors and most everyone will be wearing shorts. Some women wear the longer yoga pants, like capris. I work out in those or biking shorts myself when there.

As you will be there for a while, and for the fun of it, for casual wear or even your office you may want to get a few “Punjabi” outfits (loose trousers and a long loose tunic/blouse). Get cotton ones, and they will be quite cool. See Fab India at http://www.fabindia.com/ for some ideas, you can even buy on line and they have several outlets in Gurgaon. You could go the sari route as well, but tying and walking in a sari takes some practice.
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:33 PM

Great ideas from Cicerone. I love the punjabis I bought in India and they are so comfortable. I bought one at fabindia and also had some custom made very cheap in Indore.
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:22 PM

Linen would be perfect .
Gurgaon is part of modern india.
Knee length skirt would not be problem.
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:39 PM

Cicerone is bang on.Light cotton trousers,cotton tops,knee length skirts are absolutely fine.The 'Punjabi'(Salwar Kameez) is a common place,everywhere.You could buy them off the shelf,online or get any outfitters to make them for you.
Avoid a Sari.Wearing one and walking around is an 'art',otherwise its an ordeal.Best left to the Indians.If the wrap-around gets out of place (well,it often does)its a mess getting it back on.Its duck soup for the Indian women who live in it.Best avoided unless you are invited to a wedding and keen on wearing one,make sure help is close at hand.

Delhi and the surrounds have been in the news for other infamous reasons.Dressing modestly is advisable.I dont want to sound like an alarmist.Do take care.Its more of a concern.