Clothes for Tokyo

Aug 21st, 2007, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Clothes for Tokyo

My husband and I are leaving for Tokyo and Kyoto on the 31st. If we are planning at eating at some nicer restuarants, will we be okay in jeans and a nice shirt, or will we need something more formal?
Aug 21st, 2007, 07:14 PM

I don't recall a dress code at the Park Hyatt eateries. I think if you're in a posh traditional Japanese restaurant, it's more important that you are au fait with Japanese etiquette.
Aug 21st, 2007, 09:42 PM

It depends on your approximate age.

I only ask since, it seemed to me that I did not see any Japanese over early twenties dressed in jeans any where in Kyoto and within a reasonable day trip by train from Kyoto.

I did see some teens and early twenty somethings wearing jeans. By jeans, I mean very nice embellished, perfect fitting ones on females with very stylish tops, stylish shoes (never trainers/tennis shoes), jewelry - you get the idea. Jeans as fashion statement - not relaxed, baggy with t-shirt style go to the local mall type jeans I see everywhere in the states. Not to say no one in the states wears high fashion jeans with heels.

I saw very few jeans on men period in Japan - except for teen boys who were trying to achieve that MTV rock star look. There were not a lot of them, except on the weekend in a park where teens play in bands and jam - they imitate the 50's (or other era) foreign rockers.

School kids wear the prescribed matching clothes on school days.

As for nice places to eat, I think nice slacks, leather shoes with heels (low is fine) for you and a pretty fitted top will be fine. I really didn't see loose fitting baggy relaxed type clothes on anyone - think tailored.

Slacks and a collared shirt with dark shoes will be good for him.

If you plan on really high end places, a dress/skirt for you and a tie (maybe even jaclet for him).

If you are not of Japanese heritage, there is no way you will blend in. However, if you try to dress approximately like the Japanese do, you will look like you are making an effort to be polite, something that will be appreciated.

Aug 21st, 2007, 09:51 PM

Sorry, forgot to add that generally men wear white shirts, ties, black dress slacks and jackets to work on weekdays (many work late, so they wear the same thing after work in the evenings). On weekends, nice slacks (like dockers) and polo shirts are common.

I hope you have a grest trip. I loved Japan.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:36 AM
kja

I'm no expert, but if "nicer restaurants" include places that serve kaiseki ryori, I would not have been comfortable in jeans. Hope that helps!
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:18 AM

I agree that age makes a difference. I noticed that the younger women and men were extremely trendy in their style of dress. The older people were very conservative and classic - definitely no jeans. Women wore very lady-like clothing. Cut-off age? Maybe 30ish?
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM

I'm no fashion plate but no way would I plan to wear jeans to a nice restaurant in big-city Japan. And if I was going with Japanese friends I might ask them what they are wearing (I wouldn't ask if jeans are ok because the answer could be yes even when not ok).

I believe that we all are assuming that you aren't going to dinner with business associates.
Sep 5th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Obviously my post is too late as Mr & Mrs dooney must be in Japan by now.

In "nice" restaurant, a casual but dressier shirt and dressy trousers should be fine. There aren't that many places where men are required jackets and ties. Obviously, don't wear sneakers, though nice-ish sandals would be fine. In summary, wear what you would wear to a "nice" restaurants in NY, LA, Paris, London, HK, etc etc.

Aside from the etiquette issues, it's probably too hot-humid to be walking around in jeans. I would go for light cotton clothes for late Aug/early Sept.