olympics 2008

Sep 4th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

olympics 2008

Hi,
My family would like to go to the Olympics next year. We're thinking of spending 1 week in Beijing and another week somewhere else. Any suggestions of where we should visit? somewhere in China? another country? We'll have 2 young children with us.
Thanks.

Sep 5th, 2007, 03:17 AM

Well, there's China - the usual response would be Xian, Yangshao, maybe Shanghai - or there's another country!!

wow!

Another country - have you looked at a map? I mean with questions like this you have to consider WHERE YOU CAN GET TO from Beijing.

Makes sense really.

Where do you want to go? What are your interests? Have you done any thinking at all?

. Who flies to
Sep 5th, 2007, 07:04 AM

How young are your children and what are their traveling experience? What are your sightseeing preferences in addition to sports?
Sep 5th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

By Aug next year, my kids will be 15 months and 5 years old. The 5 year old traveled with us to Europe and a lot of American cities. She's pretty good on planes and loves the experience of being in a different city. As for the interest....this would be our first asia trip. I'd like to experience the culture. Since my kids are still young, I'd also like to be somewhere with modern amenities. Another thing is: budget. We expect the prices for stay, travel, etc will be high for the olympics so we are hoping to find a place that will cost less for the second week of the travel. We just started the planning and after looking at the map....we're feeling a little overwhelmed. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Sep 5th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Pretty much anywhere in the world is going to cost less than your time in Beijing during the Olympics. The hotel in Beijing that I am looking at for this October has prices listed for the Olympic period. My US $66 room will be US $533 .... And I guess you are sure about getting tickets for events you are interested in????

Personally, I would pick a different time period to go.
Sep 5th, 2007, 11:44 AM

I agree with poutine, unless you are avid Olympics followers, it is not the best time nor place to spend a staggering amount of money with two young kids in unreal heat, traffic, crowds, smog, etc. Choose another time and we'll help build your itinerary.