Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

China? - Okay you convinced me, now help w/itinerary?

Jan 30th, 2001, 11:42 PM
Mary

Okay I asked Why China and got some very good answers on taking the trip to the Far East vs. Europe. Now if you could give some input on the itinerary. In reading all the things to do/see in China I don't know that we can swing a stop to Thailand, Vietnam, etc. If I'm making a mistake, please comment on that too.

Again, we going in April could maybe swing 13 days. Flying into Beijing, then, well...

Cities are okay, but we do like the beauty of the outdoors and more quaint things too and would need a break from concrete and hussle/bussle. After reviewing other items on the posts have the following potential items/stops...
2 full days in Beijing (Great Wall incl)
1 day Suzhou
1 day in Xian,
4 day Yangtze cruise btwn Chongqing & Wuhan
1 day floating down the Li River at Guilin
1 full day in Hong Kong?
Shanghai? (is this a must?)

As you can tell we need some help/thoughts. Typically we like to end our trip with the most relaxing place (beach, river, lake, etc)I don't know if that's an option here. Anyhow, please give some feedback on our trip.

Thanks!

Jan 31st, 2001, 12:00 AM
Mary

Just ot add to my already long post...
Certainly open to opinions on eliminating some items. Could also return via Bangkok if that is advisable to get a feel for Thailand vs. China?

Jan 31st, 2001, 05:30 AM
Howard

I think your plans are too ambitious by far.

1. I assume you are flying between cities - each flight, plus getting to/from airport takes a fair amt of time, so your time in each place is realy less than you indicate.

2. 2 days in Beijing including Great Wall - the Wall trip takes at least half a day, so you are leaving yourself 1.5 days at most to see the main sights of the city and some "walking around time" Not enough.

I would either cut out the cruise or at least 2 of your other stops.

Howard

Jan 31st, 2001, 05:31 AM
Andrea

Good choice! You won't be disappointed you chose China.

Your post has inspired me to post separately for 3 follow-ups I'd like answers to, as well!

Especially since you'll be able to see so much of China, don't miss Hong Kong. Best done at the end of the trip, too, rather than before (the contrast will be more readily apparent than if you're arriving straight from the West).

And Shanghai. You'll need other poster's votes on this one, since I am a biased living-in-Shanghai "yes." The drawback is that Shanghai is a CITY (the 5th largest in the world?), and with Beijing, Hong Kong, and Xian already on your list, you might be pretty citied out for a non city person. But Shanghai has some very unique and charming areas, where the colonial influences mix with Chinese tradition, and its history is fascinating.

How fun!

Jan 31st, 2001, 07:24 AM
Les

2 days in Beijing is not enough. We had 3 days, and even that was marginal. Allow at least 3 days in Beijing.

Stay in Shanghai, take a day trip by train (app. 1 hour) to Suzhou. I found it very interesting (silk factory, embroidery institute, walk along the Grand Canal, see the gardens), but no need to stay there.
I loved Shanghai - allow at least a couple of days.
1 Day in Hong Kong is not enough. Same comment as for Beijing above.
The rest of the itinerary is reasonable.

Jan 31st, 2001, 10:35 AM
Meg

One day in Hong Kong is not enough. I would recommend making this your last stop to enjoy some creature comforts - a massage at your hotel or something to revive yourself. Two days is not enough in Beijing. We spent 4 there and I think 2 days of it was spent in traffic trying to get places. The Great Wall will be at least half a day and the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, and Summer Palace will take another day. I would definitely NOT miss out on the Yangtze. In 8 more years, you won't be able to cruise through the three gorges - and it is an incredible experience. The 4 day trip from Wuhan to Chongqing is quite enough time to spend on the river - we were ready to get off that boat. Guilin is beautiful, but we thought the day trip on the Li was too long. We would have rather spent more in in Guilin itself. I personally enjoyed Shanghai and would recommend a day trip to Suzhou from there. Definitely don't miss Xian. The other posters make good comments - remember that you basically spend at least 1/2 a day each time you travel to another city - going to the airport, flying time and then getting to your hotel. Remember to figure in plenty of time to your schedule to make it enjoyable. Please e-mail if you need anymore info.

Feb 1st, 2001, 09:38 PM
Mary

Thank you very much for your comments. I'm now concerned over the amount of time that the Yangtze cruise (4 days) will take of the agenda. Any more comments on this? Are there other means of getting a break from the hussle/bussle of cities, etc?

Would appreciate any additional comments.

Thanks!!!

Feb 8th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Robert

No matter where you go, you'll almost always be told it is not enough time! In any case, I think this itinerary is far too ambitious. Go to Beijing, then choose another region and explore around that.

2 days in Beijing is unfortunate. I'd try to shift some extra time there. Keep in mind that there are several things besides the great wall in the area.

I, and this is just my personal preference, would skip the Yangze cruise. I haven't been on one, although a friend of mine found it to be far over-rated. Then again, I'm the kind of traveller that likes to set up a good base and explore an area. Don't forget that travel in China can sometimes be sketchy, particularly on buses and trains. Don't plan anything on your travel days.

Feb 8th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Les

Take the Yangtze cruise. For several reasons:
It will give you an insight into the interior of China that you won't see in the coastal cities;
You will see things that WON'T BE THERE in a few years (the 3 gorges will be significantly less impressive, many towns and villages will be flooded);
If you take advantage of all the side trips offered (most cruises allow for side trips), such as a tour of Fengdu and the Ghost City atop the mountain, the lesser gorges, Wushan (note that this is NOT Wuhan, which is at the end of the cruise), you will be pleasantly surprised;
Chongqing (at the beginning of the cruise) is very intersting (although we didn't see a lot of it, what we did see made me want to return);
And, of course, you'll see the site of the new dam being built (an impressive undertaking). We were fortunate enough to be on the last cruise ship that was permitted through the main channel of the Yangze before they diverted traffic around the dam site.

That's a lot of interesting experiences for a mere 4 days. Do it!

Feb 9th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Richard & Joan

We are going to China, Tibet & the Yangtze and Vietnam in August with OAT, this is our third OAT trip and we love them. They offer trips in April. Overseas Adventure Travel at www.oattravel.com or 1-800-955-1925. Have a great trip