Three days in Beijing

Feb 5th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Stefania

Three days in Beijing

Hi,

I am going to be in Beijing for three days in the end of February. I have never been to China and I welcome any suggestions you have about what to see and do for such a short time in Beijing. I know I want to see the Great Wall (possibly at Simatai), the Summer Palace and the Temple of Heaven. Any other recommendations? I would also love to try authentic Beijing food, any recommendations for good restaurants and tea houses?
Thank you.

Feb 6th, 2001, 06:50 AM
dan woodlief

You cannot go without seeing the Forbidden City and Tienanmen Square. Try to take in some entertainment at night, such as acrobats or opera.

Feb 6th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Michael

Stefania,

What you will have time to do depends on whether you have 3 full days or if you just have part of one or two of the days.

I've been to the Great Wall at several locations and Simatai is my favorite. However, it takes a whole day to do it. Whereas you could go to Badaling early, then see the Summer Palace and Fragrant Hills Park on the way back to Beijing.

Other places would include Lama Temple (Yong He Gong), Beihai Park, Baiyun Guan (White Cloud Temple) and Nationalities Park. (Ming Zu Yuan)

If you will be there for 3 full days by all means go to Simatai. Then you can get up early, go to the Summer Palace, possibly Fragrant Hills, return to the city to Tiantan (Temple of Heaven) and end the second day at Tiananmen Square.

Personally, I have been through the Forbidden City 3 times and didn't enjoy it. One can get a photo book and guide tape and save the time as far as I'm concerned. I'd much rather see other places.

Your third day could be spent seeing some of the other places.

As far as eating goes, there are lots of great restaurants in Beijing. The best thing is to know where you will be staying. That way I could tell you the best restaurants closer to your hotel.

I'd be glad to share lots of data I have on Beijing (shopping, copies of restaurant business cards, directions, etc. Just send me an e-mail if you would like additional info.

Cheers.

Feb 6th, 2001, 04:51 PM
Michele

Make sure to take in an acrobat show. It was one of the highlights to my Beijing visit last year. We were able to get great front row seats for under $10.

Feb 9th, 2001, 07:06 AM
Meg

I love your question and all the answers posted. I just discovered this site and will make use of all the info below. My questions is, can anybody suggest a reasonable place to stay. I will be travelling with a friend and sharing a room, so we are looking fo something around the $50CND a night for a room...Is that possible.