HK or BKK

Nov 22nd, 1999, 10:05 AM
thomas vinh

HK or BKK

I'm planning a shopping trip to Hong Kong or Bangkok but can't decide which city offers better bargains. I've been to Bangkok and things were unbelievably cheap there except for electronics which seem comparable to some places in the US though perhaps slightly cheaper. Is Hong Kong any cheaper/more expensive than Bangkok? I'm looking at buying a laptop computer but want a deal I can't get in the states.

Nov 26th, 1999, 08:03 AM
Lincoln

HK might have much better selection on electronics than Bangkok. Bangkok might be a little cheaper. Are you looking for variety or price? I wrote a list of places where all the computer shops are located in HK for http://www.BootsnAll.com/home.html. check it out.

Nov 29th, 1999, 10:25 AM
Les

Thomas,
I've asked this question in this forum before, and never got a satisfactory answer.
How can a shopping trip to the Asia from the States possibly be cost-effective, considering air fare and hotels?
You did specify a shopping trip, in order to get a cheap(er) computer. How much would you have to buy, and at what discount, to make this worth it?
Unless you're buying in huge quantities for a business, it doesn't make economic sense to take a "shopping" trip to HK or BKK.

Nov 29th, 1999, 12:13 PM
fred small

I've read and re-read this message. Does it make any sense to the rest of you? Something rings false.

Nov 29th, 1999, 01:34 PM
Les

Fred,
Which message are you referring to? The original posting, or my question? If it's mine, I'll be happy to clarify whatever is confusing to you.

Nov 30th, 1999, 04:37 PM
thomas vinh

I apologize if the message was confusing. I work in the travel industry so travel cost is not an issue. Besides the shopping, I hope to explore the city and the culture as well. And let's not forget the food. However, I'm beginning to get a clearer picture about computer prices as it relates to Bangkok. Several people have told me that they are cheaper in the States. Once again, sorry about the original message.

Feb 8th, 2001, 01:37 PM
billy

Thomas,
I make it easy for you. I have been to both many times. HK is goood for one thing only....Having custom clothes made. So take that favorite Armani ($$$$$) coat and have it remade with a different fabric for about $75.00US. As for Bangkok the only to shop for there is whores. Make sure they are real women and not boygirls. I will be in BBK again next month. ENJOY!!

Feb 9th, 2001, 08:14 AM
J'c Chang

I bought a Presario laptop in Singapore for US$900, the same item is almost double in Bangkok. I checked U.S websites and overall the prices seem less than Bangkok. Do not forget that when entering the U.S you must declare and you could end up paying more tax. Also I noted that the guarentees are often limited to where you purchase. Other goods are real cheap in Bangkok. I found Hong Kong very expensive compared.