Notices

China and Thailand

Old Oct 17th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
China and Thailand

We are planning a trip in March of 2011 to visit my brother (working in Beijing) and are thinking of taking a trip to Thailand as well. Our trip is only ten days total. We would like to spend about five days in Thailand, but I'm not sure where to go. I would like to beach it, as well as see the sights. I would appreciate some direction and suggestion for this family vacation. Thanks.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 07:19 PM

if you only have 10 days total then i think you are best advised to spend the whole time in china....
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

I've already been there twice and the rest of the family wants to go to Thailand .... So Thailand it will be ( unless they change their minds again)! That being said are we better off on the china sea side or the andaman sea side in march? Is there a difference in water temp?
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 07:05 AM

With just 5 days, you can see some sights or go to the beach. You won't do both.

Remember that the beach areas are all international beach resorts and that there are few cultural attractions near the beach resorts. In March you should have fine weather on both the Andaman Sea side and the China sea.

If you are interested in seeing the sights, consider spending your 5 days in Bangkok. Choose one of the many fabulous hotels with a beautiful pool area. You can sightsee in the morning, come back to your hotel at mid-day and relax around the pool for a while. Then venture back out later in the afternoon again. Bob always recommends the Marriott Resort and Spa for families with children, and it is a good recommendation.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Bangkok is a big city like Beijing, so your brother may prefer to directly go to a beach. I know some people living in Beijing and Shanghai, and they are not big fans of Bangkok. I think it is a good idea for your brother to relax in a beach, and Phuket and Koh Samui would be a good tropical paradise for your family.

I don't recommend Hua hin for the first timer in Thailand. It does not have a beautiful beach and tropical feel, but a bit dirty town and average beach and ocean. Hua hin is a popular weekend destination for Bangkok residents and a good place to eat fresh seafood by ocean.

5 days will be durable to go to a beach, and you may not need to stay in BKK if you all fly from and to Beijing. Water is warm in both places in March.

Although March is still high season in both Phuket and Koh Samui, Phuket's hotel is a little bit cheaper for the similar quality.

Some regulars in this forum don't like Patong, Phulet. I also don't like Patong in daytime, but the night life. There are many other beautiful beaches in Phuket such as Kata and Karon if you don't like Patong.

I stayed at Amari Coral Beach Resort in Patong Phuket last year. It is very nice hotel with good views, quietness, good swimming pools, and a nice private pier where you can enjoy snorkeling. If you don't go with kids, Amari Coral is one of the best hotels which are not too expensive in Phuket. There are many wonderful activities in Phuket.

On the other hand, most of Koh Samui hotels are on the beach, but they are more expensive than what you get. If you like to laze on the beach most of time, Koh Samui may be a good choice for you.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 10:50 AM

Spend all five days in Bangkok. There's lots to do and see. If you stay at a nice hotel by the river, you can definitely get a resort feel. It will be plenty hot and pool time after sight-seeing is very relaxing. BKK is very different than China. You will be treated like an honored guest.

The beaches in Thailand are nice, but as noted above, they are designed for the western tourist and you won't get that magical Thai feeling that has captured many of us.