Beaches in Thailand

Old May 28th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beaches in Thailand

a group of (8 total) mothers and adult daughters who love adventure and having a good time are making up an itinerary for Thailand in the spring....we have had it recommended to get out of Bankok soon and go other places...I know we want some time at a fantastic beach with good scuba and snorkeling and well as seeing some picturesque more remote areas...any suggestions?
Old May 28th, 2006, 01:10 PM

when you say remote, then i rule out phuket because it is so built up...may i suggest that you look at koh chang....the aramri emerald cove is very nice but expensive...the tropicana and the barili are less expensive....i have stayed at the barili and it is very nice but the food next door at the tropicana is nicer....amari has the best food and best lay out and is the newest...

koh samui is also nice but less issolated...

karbi is nice, but i cannot comment on it--others will...

don't underestimate your time in bkk...if you choose a hotel with a fantastic garden and pool then you will feel that you are at the beach....the marriott resort and spa and the nei lert come to mind....i especially find the marriott the best in bkk
Old May 28th, 2006, 01:11 PM

My first suggestion is to spend some time in Bangkok. Bangkok is an amazing city with gilded wats, saffron-robed monks, fabulous food, inexpensive spas and great shopping. If you stay by the river, you can take the water taxi to a nymber of the most spectacular wats, and can take the skytrain to shopping areas. Being by the river gives a feel that is uniquely Bangkok.

There are lots of lovely beach areas in Thailand, Which beach to choose depends a lot on exactly when you are going. Also, we would need to know whether you want a beach area with lots of activity, lots of choices of where to eat, or someplace quiet, but not many choice outside of your hotel. Also, what price range per room do you want?

When you talk about picturesque more remote areas are you talking about less-visited beaches or are you talking about Northern Thailand? And last, how much time do you have and where are you coming from?
Old May 28th, 2006, 06:07 PM

Phuket is actually an excellent place to base yourself in the south. Some of the northern beaches are much less built up and some are almost deserted. Avoid the Patong/Karon/Kata area if you want to stay away from overly touristy areas.

Phuket is a great base for exploring the hongs of PhangNga Bay (James Bond Island etc), Krabi, Phi Phi, Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park etc.

Head for NaiThon Beach if you want lovely - but not so developed.

Try "Phuket's Best Beaches" at:

http://phuketdelight.com/Best%20Beaches.htm

and "Visiting Phuket":

http://phuketdelight.com/Vacationing%20on%20Phuket.htm

for more guidance.

Old May 28th, 2006, 10:11 PM

This all depends on how "resort" you want to go. If you really want to be in a secluded, beautiful area, I'd opt for Krabi. It's not nearly as build up as Phuket or Samui and there is some stunning scenery. To be a little closer to civilization in Krabi stay in the Ao Nang Beach area. Prices range but the hotels are basic. For something a little more pricey but more interesting I suggest Central's new Krabi Beach Resort. It's located one bay from Ao Nang. Don't wear lace-ups when you go, however, as you'll have to take a boat to the property (less than 5 minutes and runs pretty frequently). What's nice about Central's property is that, although its on its own private beach/bay, it is nearly a part of the more bustling Ao Nang Beach.
From Ao Nang Beach you can plan rock climbing to Railay (some of the best in Asia), Kayaking or Canoeing around the 130 islands that make up Krabi, Nature walks in one of the two national parks, cave exploring, etc. The province has a veritable smorgasborg of nature activities (did I mention diving and snorkeling?).
If you go don't forget to visit Tiger Temple. You have to walk up an unending number of very steep steps but the view will be worth it. Two notes: Go very early to beat the heat and beware of the monkeys along the route, they steal everything (hold things securely).
I hope that helps.
Old May 29th, 2006, 06:11 PM

We agree with Bob about Koh chang! We had an awesome time, and have never been to a place more remote than that. The best part was standing on the beach and not seeing another person in either direction. We also did the elephant trek, and when the mahut got off the elephant in the middle of the mountain forrest that felt really remote being on the back of an elephant by ourselves in the middle of nowhere. We also went diving with a local operator on koh chang and had a great dive day!
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:40 PM

tpatrick's recommendation for Central Krabi Bay Resort is a good one. That place is really, really nice with lots to do in the area. The only downside is that the beach area could be crowded once they start to reach capacity.
Old May 29th, 2006, 09:22 PM

koh chang is a malaria risk area so that is a consideration also
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:22 AM

Oops, I meant to say the pool area will be crowded at CKBR if they reach capacity, although I suppose the beach would be too.
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:55 AM

If you really love adventuring, I really think you'll want to spent at least 8 days in Bangkok.

In fact, i really doubt you can call yourself an adventurer at all without spending at least a day walking through a Bangkok slum. (I'm not even being sarcastic.)
Old May 30th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Kamala Beach was very nice. Kamala beach resort was nice place right on the beach. Quieter part of Phuket.
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:04 PM
RPT

The Cruiser Resort on Koh Lon near Phuket maybe a good choice. Quiet boutique resort right on the beach on an undeveloped island, yet close to the action of Phuket.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

These are all helpful suggestions...this group has different tastes, but as adventursome as we are, everyone likes luxurious accommodations...i am going to look up all these suggestions....i think it is clear that in 10 days we should limit our trip to two places...we just came back from a fabulous trip to Morocco and by necessity were on the go all the time, to cover a lot of territory...this time the troops are demanding that we stay put awhile on a beach
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Add this one to your search. The Kata Thani Resort on Kata Noi Beach, Phuket. It's a wonderful resort, many pools, nice beach, great breakfast buffet, and if you want some activity, just go to Kata Beach which is close by.