Chiang Mai shoppers

Search

Chiang Mai shoppers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chiang Mai shoppers

I have been to CM for 2 years and want to explore new shopping places when I am there in September. Pleasure and Treasure books suggest CM-Hang Dong rd as an alternate to the Handicraft rd. Does anyone have experience about the stores on CM-Hangdong Rd. I know it has furniture and handicrafts, but what handicrafts? I am also interest in silk and cotton by the yard. The book recommends the town of San Khampaeng for this-anybody have any experiences to share? Any information would be appreciated.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 07:33 PM

Trips to Hang Don or Borsang/San Khampaeng will depend a lot on how you get there. Taxi and tuk-tuk drivers usually get a commission from the factories, so they will tend to take you to the places with the best deals -- for them, not for you.

If you haven't yet explored Nimanhiman Road (west of the walls, off the road to Suthep Mtn.) or Charoen Rat (east bank of the Ping River) then you should definitely explore those places.

While the factory tours are interesting, I've generally found that you see the same things you can find in town, and often the asking price is more than a shop in the night bazaar. You have to be prepared do some really hard bargaining at the factories.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:59 AM

I thought I replied to this once but it doesn't seem to be here. Yes, there are a lot of wood shops on the hang dong road and the prices do seem cheaper. But the quality varies and you do need to make sure they are treating the wood for our climates. However, for small pieces and other crafts it's great and still very untouristy.

I have not bought silk in CM so can't speak to that.

Michael is right that there are exquisite in the area around Nimanhiman Road and on the east bank of the Ping. The stuff there is mostly fixed price (you may be able to bargain some but it's not like the factories) but the quality is superb and you see things you don't see anywhere else. This is where I generally do most of my buying.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 12:02 PM

Our driver in Chiang Mai does not steer us towards any particular shops. He knows where we want to go, as he has been our driver for years. I know he gets a small "cut" at one of the factories, but my goodness, he's got a family to feed! I do not begrudge him the penny or so he makes on each wood item we buy (and we do buy them by the thousands). He does a very good job of taking us around, and we can rely on him for an entire day, and often take him along to dinner with us. He's become a friend when we are in CM.