Search

Shopping Chiang Mai

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2004, 08:16 AM
CFW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping Chiang Mai

Looking for shopping tips in Chiang Mai. In addition to night market, would love some specific recommendations for shops for celadon, silver, and other Thai handicrafts that are special in CM. Also, best way to get around to the shops on Sankampaheng Rd.? As always, thanks for all your suggestions!
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 04:15 PM

There is a shop called Gongdee Gallery - www.gongdee which is def worth a dekko. Take a look at their website for details of the kind of stuf they have. On the website u will find their address (they are near the Amari Rincome) - in the same lane and area are about half a dozen shops which are worth explorning. They are open Sun.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 09:36 PM

Baan Celadon at 7 Mu 3 on Thanon San Kamphaeng has unique pieces and colours. We found small platters, some sushi plates, little bowls for soy & wasabi, very cheap. You can hire a car/driver from your hotel or hire taxi for 2-3 hours and cruise down the road. There are many jewellery outlets(most overpriced). We think the night market was good for silver and also Ngern Chiang Mai at 37-9 Thanon Wualai (south old old city). Buy a Nancy Chandler map of Chaing Mai in Bangkok or when you arrive in Chiang Mai. It is worth the money.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 01:04 AM

Ratt of Bkk fame has a relative who drives a taxi in CM. Search for details on past posts on the forum. Near Baan Celadon further on on the same road are 2 other great shops - one for hand painted umbrellas (stunning for 2000 baht but do not know how you would carry them; have small ones too) and another whose name begins with P which has some of the best ceramic wares I saw in my stay in Thailand. Huge shop. Cannot miss it - in the same complex as umbrella place.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 01:31 AM

Sorry - got confused. Is Julie of www.juliestaxis.com who has a cousin who drives in CM. Posting someones earlier reco "Chaing Mai - Our driver/guide was Nipon - cousin to Julie cell number 09-855-3522. Very knowledgable from sights to shopping to restaurants - air conditioned mercedes. Very reasonable - excellent English - smart, good conversationalist made our day in Chaing Mai a success!"

Recoing 2 places for traditional Thai textiles

Sop Moei Arts
The Elephant Quay House
31-35 Chareonrat Rd.
Tel: 053 260 844, 053 213 962
www.sopmoeiarts.com

Studio Naenna Textile Gallery
Main Gallery: 138/8 Soi Changkhian, Huay Kaew Rd.
Tel: 053 226 042, Fax: 053 217 707

Second Gallery: Opposite The Regent Resort on old Mae Rim Rd.
Tel: 053 298 417

The cermics place beginning with P which I earlier mentioned as a must do :
Prempracha's Collection
224 Chiangmai-sankampaeng Rd. (at Bosang intersection)
Tel/Fax: 053 229 540, 053 338 857
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 05:15 AM

Definitely go to Sop Moie -- the products are truly outstanding.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 07:06 PM

ratt's sister is a driver in chiang mai...search on rat and you will find the info...

the baan celedon shop is fabulous...their shop in bkk has 1/3 of what they have in CM...

almost next door is a really good silver shop...

nandakwang is a wonderful shop full of various cotton household goods...it is not on the shopping road but not far from it...the dirver will know where it is...or ask your hotel... if you come out their front door and turn right and cross over the main road, and then walk up a couple of blocks, there is a soi on the left that has a number of nice shops on it, especially one with wooven women's clothing...sorry i don't know the name or the address...

driver----a private driver is the best resource for you....they will have adequate english and know many of the shops in CM...we got ours at the airport...his name is manop and he has stall #11 for his car at the airport...your hotel will hitch you up with someone as well...

while out on the shopping road, about 1/3 of the way down on the right and set way back from the road is a marvelous restaurant/inn...the food is excellent...manop took us there twice...thai food of course...

we did not find the night market to be too interesting, although i know that fodorites love it...we preferred the work shops...

the nancy chandler map is a great resource..for some reason we never used one in CN, but have used it often in bkk...study it carefully....get it before you go if you can...on-line orders accepted..
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 11:23 PM

"while out on the shopping road, about 1/3 of the way down on the right and set way back from the road is a marvelous restaurant/inn...the food is excellent...manop took us there twice...thai food of course..."

I think this would be La Grand Lanna.

The Northern Village in the Central Airport Plaza is also well worth a visit.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 02:44 AM
CFW
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Great recommendations! I checked the web and Baan Celadon has a fabulous web site. Prices looked great. Are the prices even better in CM? How about shipping?

Tangata, Any info yet on Lanna Farm?
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 03:37 PM

CFW-We took an extra bag so we could carry our Baan Celadon purchases. They used bubble wrap and packed it all for us. I'm not fond of shipping stuff home. We shipped from Canada and many items were broken on arrival. Others will provide better shipping info than I can. I did not buy too much because it forces me to return to Chiang Mai again to top up my collection of celadon! Female logic at its most brilliant!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 08:25 PM

yes the prices were better in chiang mai...it is the home office i think

restaurant: i have just looked in out diary and the name is: Baan Swan...it was 720B for 3 of us for lunch...