Chiang Mai restaurants

Search

Chiang Mai restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chiang Mai restaurants

Would love to hear suggestions for good places for dinner. I will definitely go to Grand Lanna this trip. I know everyone loves the Gallery but I have been underwhelmed twice there so won't be going back.

What other places do you like? Since I'll be there 10 nights I'd like to hear about casual and fun restaurants as well as "fancy" ones.

Thanks
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

ttt -- Tangata, and others -- any suggestions?
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

oops-- sorry this post got put on the wrong thread.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 08:09 PM

Some restaurants in Chiang Mai we tried January 05:

Huen Phen---northern thai--112 Rachamongka Rd--we walked from our hotel, the Rachamankha--close to the Thapae gate. A series of small rooms filled with antiques, good ambience & food with low prices. We ate dinner here our first night and our third night after the worst meal & service we've ever had in Thailand at the Gallery on our second night. We also had a lunch & a dinner at The Rachamankha, also thai, also good. You can eat inside or in the open courtyard although even with the terra cotta heaters it was chilly.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 08:49 PM

Continuing: We grazed at the Sunday Market--great selection of food--we tried green mango salad & also bright green fried vegetable? cakes, cut up with scissors in a plastic bag w/2 pointed sticks & a little sauce. We were not quite sure how to assemble this or what it was, but it was very good. We also tried Just Khao Soy on Charoen Prathet Rd for lunch--a very fancy version of a northern dish in a very modern minimalist decor. very good.

We had a driver for a day to visit some Wats on the outskirts & had lunch at Ban Rai Yarm Yen, near the Ping River, north of the Super Highway--directions as follows: going west drive just past the Ping on the Super Highway, crazy manoever to take the first left (N), right at first soi (at TP Service) parking on left, restaurant is almost invisible. Restaurant is an open air pavillion, very pleasant, very Thai, menu does not cater to farangs. Very very good. An imaculate bathroom--always a good sign for good sanitation. There is live northern Thai music at night. We asked the stunning girls manning the hotel's desk about it & they got very excited..it was on their top ten.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:57 PM

Another restaurant which was on our list, but we didn't get to was The House, 199 Moon Muang Rd. I read a good review about it. Pacific Rim food.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Whole Earth is also very good. It's about one block from the river, around the corner from the Royal Princess.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 02:25 AM
CFW

ttt
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Antique House is nice as is Whole Earth. The one restaurant I really did NOT like is the Gallery which many rave about.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 08:32 AM

Well, Gloria, I've said a number of times, I liked the Gallery, for its ambience, its location on the Ping river, the Thai folk musicians playing lovely music alongside the outdoor tables riverside, and my fresh grilled fish was excellent, but I never disagreed that the food there was, as you put it, underwhelming in some respects.

I still plan to go back there on this next trip (and I have been in contact with our friend in CM) but I particularly want to go back to Antique House-as I think it one of the most romantic places anywhere in Thailand for dinner-like eating at Jim Thompson's house by candlelight-lovely, and the Thai food is good also.

As far as Whole Earth restaurant, it's very convenient, being right by the Night Market, and it has a great vibe and ambience, a plethora of dishes for the non-meat eater like myself, but I still think the food is underwhelming there, as well-and I judge most Thai restaurants by the signature dish-Pad Thai-and it was only okay at Whole Earth. I consider Whole Earth to be a quite westernized restaurant-and that is not a criticism, necessarily, just an observation.

I have heard of the House restaurant, tapas and wine bar-this sounds interesting, for a break from Thai food. It's owned and operated by an ex-pat.

One restaurant I would like to try is called Huen Phen restaurant located on Ratchamongka Rd in the Old City. The food is authentically Thai, gets good reviews and is not too expensive-it is decorated Thai style with arts and crafts from all over the country, and is on two floors. I understand it is a bit hard to find.

Besides this new restaurant,(for me) and because I understand the Chiang Mai Gymkhana Club is closed for repairs, I also plan to go to "The Pub" while in CM, also. (smile)

And of course, I'll be primarily eating off the streets for the best food...people really should try some of the street snacks-they are authentically Thai and non-westernized, (such as the already done-up for you green papaya or mango salad mentioned-one of my very favorites) fresh and delicious, and very very cheap.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 09:27 PM

Rain Forest Restaurant, Chiang Mai

http://www.northernthailand.com/cm/r...st-review.html

Haven't been there yet but it gets good reviews.

Address: 181 Chiang Mai Hod Rd.,
T. Nong Khwai
Tel: 053441908, 053432319
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 09:32 PM

Here's another website of
Chiang Mai restaurants:

http://chanchao.fotopages.com/