Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Chiang Mai--Golden Cupids or Baan Orapin?

Notices

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to decide between these 2 hotels--Bann Orapin gets raves on this site, but I haven't heard much about Golden Cupids. I know it's out of the way, but the locale looks very appealing. Anyone know how inconvenient it is to get to Chiang Mai proper? As for Baan Orapin--is it in a very loud/busy area? (i'm looking more for r & r than heavy stimulation for this part of my trip). Thanks in advance--you've all been really helpful so far!
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 09:27 PM

Golden Cupids - that's a new one to me. Frankly, I'm a little suspicious of the uniformly rave reviews in TripAdvisor. You may want to consider Baan Nam Ping or Bann Tazala.

As to getting into town, it doesn't look that far. It probably won't be a problem.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 11:17 PM

Lovely hotel, well established, perfect for r&r. Chiang Mai Old City is less than ten miles away and easy to get to. You also have Doi Suthep Temple about the same distance away. I think it's a good choice.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Don't know the Golden Cupids. As for Baan Orapin - it is on a small, but busy road in the heart of the tourist restaurants along the river. The hosts are great people by the way.

There's a gate you enter and the yard feels much more tranquil once you're through it and the gate is closed. But you're not far from the road and you do hear the tuk-tuks and cars clearly when sitting outside. And while the room we had was very nicely done, it was at the end of the building closest to the road, and we could hear street noise through the night, with the windows closed. Ask to be away from the road if you stay there. It didn't bother us particularly, as we were looking for the "buzz".
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 08:58 PM

I stayed at the Ban Orapin last year and loved it, as I am sure you know if you did a search.

We were in the building closest to the road but in the lower unit, the suite and the noise was barely noticable. The guy in the room above us said he didn't care for the traffic noise but it was more audible up there.

Another great option is River Ping Palace! It sits right on the river and it is an old teak Lanna style building with beautiful rooms. the food there is also incredible!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:18 AM

eurotraveller - we were on the lower level too actually, very last unit at the end. Not sure how that happened that we ended up in the suite, as we booked and paid a regular double.

My wife and I loved the room. I was ok with the sound level as I'm a sound sleeper but she didn't sleep much. But I too could hear sound pretty much whenever, so either the traffic levels change through the year or they sound insulated in the time between when we were there... or more likely there's a difference in our perceptions of noise.

Could be what levels we're used to at home. I'd say that I'd recommend Baan Orapin to most people, for a number of great reasons. We liked it there and wouldn't have enjoyed a place outside of town nearly so much But for someone looking for a peaceful oasis for some R&R, I can imagine that many resorts or hotels outside of town would more clearly meet that description than would Baan Orapin.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 05:21 AM

Five of my family members stayed in three rooms at Baan Orapin 19/1/07 - 24/1/07. We were in the rear and newest 2 buildings, 2 suites and 1 junior suite. Suites were really very large rooms with seating areas screened off from the bedroom area. Noise was not a problem, very peaceful. Opas and Air were outstanding hosts. While the rooms were large and very nice, it is definitely a Thai guesthouse and not for those who are looking for large hotel luxury. That said, the beds and pillows were very comfortable unlike some Thai guesthouses. Road outside the gates was very busy but several restaurants were only a very short walk away.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:17 AM

Ah, Clifton. My mistake. I thought you said the front building but you actually had the front building with a front room as well.

We were one room back in the front building so having that buffer really makes a difference. I don't sleep worth a darn but I slept like a baby because it was very quiet. Could be those we had at those so conveniently located riverside bars before we went to bed!

Thanks for clarifying.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:49 AM

I have not stayed at Golden Cupid but spent 10 wonderful nights at Baan Orapin. I loved the location -- close enough to easily get anywhere; plenty of places to walk etc. But once inside the gates it was like being in your own little oasis. I slept in a room in the back and the only sounds I heard were non-city ones -- birds, dogs etc.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:22 PM

We stayed at the Baan Orapin in February. We really enjoyed it and Opas, Air and their staff were absolutely great. They also have free internet and wi-fi. However, we would only recommend rooms in rear due to busy street in front. Unfortunately, there is a dog sometimes barking in the rear late at night and early in the morning. There were 4 or 5 breakfast selections and all were very good. The street in front is very narrow and busy so you have to watch your step. The area is filled with great restaurants on the river. A foot bridge is close that takes you into the city. The "wall" is about a 15-20 minute walk. The Jr. suite was spacious and very comfortable. You can't go wrong for the price. They were working with a landscape architect to re-route people through the main building (100 years old) to the back. Don't know when work will start. The rear grounds were beautiful and relaxing - no pool. We would definitely stay there again! Hope this helps!