Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Maekok River Village Resort, has anyone stayed there?

Nov 7th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

After 3 days at the Anantara resort in the Golden Triangle, we're looking for a base to explore more of Northern Thailand before continuing to Chiang Mai and flying onward.
Are these two locations too close? Can we see most of the area from one of these locations? I don't know how mountainous and slow the transport might be. Any suggestions. After reading how big and hectic Chiang Mai is I'm trying to find a more serene area from which to tour.
Nov 7th, 2009, 05:53 PM

The two are not close at all. In fact, the Maekok doesn't appear to be close to anything. There are not very many "sights" per se in the Golden Triangle area. Most people go for the nature. What sights there are, are much closer to the Anantara.

Just getting to the Maekok from the Anantara would probably take the better part of a day.

Where did you read that Chiang Mai was big and hectic? I always think of it as small and laid back.
Nov 7th, 2009, 09:36 PM

I stayed there a number of years ago. It was fairly basic when we were there but looking at the website they have given it a makeover. Its right on the river, very small town and not much to do in the town - few places to eat etc. At that time we couldn't even buy a bottle of tonic water in any of the little shops. The food at the restaurant at the resort was quite good but just a open air place by the river - nice and simple but mostquitos of course. (New bit looks a lot better) However I quite liked the area and at the time (don't know if they still do) they had some good guides and tours organized in the area. We went out with them a couple of days - 4 wheel drive guide and driver and the 2 of us. They also picked us up from Chiang Rai in the morning from the airport and we drove around the triangle to the opium museum and up to the border etc - finished up at the Maekok for the night. Drove right past the Anantara. When we left we had them drive us into Chiang Mai - took about 4 hours but the road was under construction.

We were there in August and were the only ones staying for a couple of the nights. I'm sure that will have changed too!

I'll disagree with Michael here - I think they are too close together to stay at both places - we easily could get around the area. Apart from our trip out to Chiang Mai which could have been a problem if we had not left the day we did as the river came up and flooded everywhere.
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:29 AM

Hmm... I was trying to say that, even though the places are separated by quite some distance, there is not much difference between the two areas, and there was no point in staying at one if you were staying at the other. No point in moving in that case.
Nov 8th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, MichaelBKK and MaryW. That's just the info I needed. Michael I have read on several posts about how large and hectic Chaing Mai is. Have you been there recently? We will probably fly out of there to Luang Prabang so I'm guessing we'll need to spend at least one night . Are there sites near Chiang Mai that would make a second night there worthwhile or is it very similiar to the Chiang Rai area? We are primarily interested in the natural beauty, ethnic tribes, etc/ Would love to see remote areas by boat or raft, etc.