hotels in Chiang Mai

Search

hotels in Chiang Mai

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotels in Chiang Mai

Does anyone have hotel recommendations in Chiang Mai? I'm looking to spend about $100 -$125CDN ($85 US - $110 US.)
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 05:01 PM

You have lots of options in Chiang Mai in that price range. The Royal Princess is right next to the Night Bazaar. Rooms are going for a Thai modern look. Some like them, some think they're dark. Next door is the Suriwong, a real faded beauty. It's old and looking a little threadbare, but very cheap. Go for the deluxe rooms, which are huge and only about US$40 a night.

In the middle of the old city is Tamarind Village. Very nice complex of two storey buildings, but rooms are so-so. Walking distance to most of the old city sights. I got it at Precision Reservations.com for US$40 a night.

Lastly, there's Baan Orapin, on the other side of the river, near a collection of shops and riverside restaurants. Small place, somewhere between a guesthouse and boutique hotel. I stayed here last year, when it was still a little rough around the edges. Recent postings by other Fodorites have raved about it.

There are lots of other postings here on this subject.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 08:48 AM

I can give you an "avoid this one" reccommendation - if that makes sense?

Stayed at the Westin Chiang mai (now Sheraton) about 6 years ago - probably the most disappointing hotel I've stayed at in Thailand, - poor by international standards which is very rare for Thailand

Poor Service (4 of us eating, the main courses were delivered over a 30 minute period with 2 of the 4 completely wrong)- Hotel manager said he would make it up to us - he sent us a letter!

Tatty worn rooms and the worst towels I've ever seen in a supposed 4/5 star hotel (think worn hand towels used as bath towels)

Grim covered windows

Uninspiring pool area

Not really within walking distance of the night market

There are much better options for less money than this one.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:49 AM

For generic large hotels you could consider the Chiang Mai Plaza. or Imperial Mae Ping.

For B and B consider Baan Orapin

For boutique hotel consider Tamarind Village

For well located resort Yaang Come Village.

For hip modern D2

All of the above are well located.

Avoid Sheraton and Royal Princess.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 01:05 PM

I would try Karinthip Ville, I enjoyed staying there, the staff was great, it is situated in a neighborhood, about a 10 minute walk to Taepae Gate, Night Bazaar etc. There was a temple right across the street, a massage school, small stores and shops nearby. Great location.
I am a Baan Orapin fan, only one down side, I found myself answering a question that the someone from the next room was asking. LOL.
Not much in sound proofing but clean and friendly, also a great location.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 01:06 PM

I would add Central Duangtawan and Rydges for good 3 star range under USD 50, Novotel is a bit out of town but excellent quality and style for under USD 50, I agree Yaang Come Village should be about USD 90 and close to center but Thai style, try www.chiang-mai-hotels.itgo.com for pics etc