Cheap Flights within Thailand and Asia?

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap Flights within Thailand and Asia?

My husband and I are doing a tour for our honeymoon and we are on a budget. We already booked our round trip air with miles to Hong Kong. Now, we want to fly Hong Kong-Delhi-Bangkok-Samui-Chiang Mai-Bangkok-Hong Kong

I have priced this flight out on expedia and spoken to consolidators, but no one seems to be able to help us with any discounts. Any ideas on local travel agents we could call? Or other ways we could find an Asia pass of sorts?

Thank you!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 12:56 PM
sandi

Can't help with the leg to India, but within Thailand flight prices average between $50-$60 incl. taxes. You might want to check with Thai Airlines (goes BKK/Chiang Mai and Bangkok Airlines (beieve they do the flight to Koh Samui, though Thai might also) what their current fares are.

I know Thai has an Air Pass available at a discounted price for 3-legs, but you have to compare that price with their regular prices. Also an Air Pass has to be purchased before arriving in Thailand. Consider when you'll be traveling as during holiday time, getting seats can be difficult.

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 02:19 PM

It's the HKG-Delhi and 'back' to Bangkok that is really going to throw the pricing out and become expensive.

The only way you can do it if you want to include Delhi is to get a HKG-BKK return and then get a BKK-Delhi Return ( Indian Airlines are cheaper than Thai or Air India on that routine, but you would have to get from a local Bangkok agent ).

You need to re-arrange that domestic routing. You can use Bangkok Airways BKK-Chiang Mai-BKK-Samui-BKK. Check their website to see if they are still offering the $50 sector deals ( IF it is working!).

Thai is the dominant carrier on BKK-Chiang Mai and a return is about US$125. Bangkok Airways has 1 or 2 flights on that sector only.
BKK-Samui is Bangkok Airweays only and it's about US$175 return!

You have not said when you are travelling? If between November and April then Krabi/Phuket would have better weather than Samui. In that case you can easily do a BKK-Chiang Mai-Phuket-Bangkok, those 3 sectors if you buy before leaving will cost about US$59 per sector.

From Hong Kong to Bangkok the going rate is between US$110 and $ 140 return, a multitude of airlines operate the route, cheapest are Ethiopian and Kenya Airways, Gulf Air and Emirates worth the odd few buck more. Dragonair launches on the route in November, plus you have Thai, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines etc.

IFor that sector I would email a HKG travel agent and see what they offer. Gulf Air is daily, good service and very cheap.

If you try and do the HKG-Delhi-BKK unless you route via BKK it will really up your costs.

Also call Thai Airways and see if they can offer you something based on 'ex-Hong Kong' for the BKK and omestic Thai flights ( remember, they don't fly to Koh amui but they do fly to nearby Surat Thani from where a bus/ferry service is laid on ). Again though, it's that Delhi add on you are making which will be the problem.
Why not switch the Delhi trip for say Angor Wat? That is served 4/5 x daily by Bangkok Airways ex BKK and makes a great trip and you can then tie that all in which Bangkok Airways?
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Dear James,

Thank you so much for your response. We really appreciate your time. Do you happen to know any local travel agents in Hong Kong or Bangkok that we could trust? We are traveling from December 24-Jan 19. India has always been a dream of mine, altho I realize it screws us up. Krabi sounds great--do you know of any cute hotels there? I've been to Phuket--it's a bit too crowded for us honeymooners. Thanks again for everything!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 04:33 PM

I'll get you the details of the one we use in Hong Kong.

For Krabi like anywhere it depends on price, I would really recommend the Tubkaak, it is to the north of Ao Nang (Krabi ) and is very Thai, it's new and very good. You are travelling Absolute Peak time so I should not delay a moment!

This is a local Thai site with good local info on accommodation around krabi

http://www.freewebs.com/koh_samui_hotels/krabi.htm
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 04:51 PM

Our company uses Tiglion Travel. I just had a look at their website and they have cheap flights HKG-BKK, I was interested myself to see what they charge HKG-BKK as to what we pay here, other way round, anyway:

http://www.tiglion.com

Special fares site:

http://www02.tiglion.net/tod05/shop/air/index.asp

Ladia, you did not say where you were flying 'from', I guess the US, did you considor using your miles for an RTW fare, if it's United you could do an RTW with them/Thai/Lufthansa and include Delhi and then use Lufthansa back to the US? Just a thought!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 04:57 PM

SEA Tours Bangkok, here is their email if you want to ask them about Delhi. Though I do not know if you will get an answer, you can try though!

[email protected]
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Dear James,

We are flying from the US on Continental round trip. We only had enough for two round trip coach tickets and they are now booked. I checked with them regarding special Asia Pass fares and inter Asian tickets. Unfortunately, they do not have the right partners for these flights.

I also checked with American and United and their inter Asian fares were a fortune. The best I found was on expedia for around $1100 US includes the whole HK-Del-BK-Hk route, but I figured there might be a better way.

The Tubkaak looks absolutely perfect for us. Thank you so much for this wonderful suggestion. I will contact the Asian travel agencys tomorrow as well. You have been such a great help to us. I cannot thank you enough.

PS I don't suppose you know any local travel agencies in India?
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 10:48 AM

If you're still interested in a travel agent in Bangkok then try DTC travel. DTCtravel.com I believe.
They will send you any info you need by email..prices etc.
We used them for a flt. from BKK to Maldives and BKK to Bangladesh.

They will even courier the tickets to your home OR you can pick them up at BKK airport.
hope this helps!