Search

Chatuchak or Suan Lum market?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chatuchak or Suan Lum market?

Hi everyone,
I'll be in Bangkok for 3 nights in March and would like your opinions on which market is more worthwhile. Don't really have anything in particular to buy but have heard so much about the markets that it's definitely on my 'to do' list when I'm there. Are the markets very different from each other that it warrants a visit to both? Thanks.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:48 PM

the weekend market is huge and i mean huge...the night market is much smaller and some have said that it is for the tourist...
if you don't have anything special in mind i would stay in town and go to the night market and also some of the stalls along sukhumvit starting at soi 4....and along silom and maybe around patpong....also mbk is worth a couple of hours near siam sq....national stadium stop on skytrain...
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 01:36 AM

U can only go to jatujak if u are in Bkk on a Fri-Sat or Sun. The markets are very different and I am one of the posters who loves Jatujak. Having said that with no shopping agenda you may not anjoy it. Depends really on how much time spare you have. By BTS to Jatujak is 45 mins one way point to point. Suan Lum is a night market - opens 6:30 - 10ish. Suan Lum is much more in the center of town too.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 05:53 AM

The weekend market could be really unpleasant weather wise in March. The night market is very pleasant but I did not think it was particularly good shopping. It is very geared to tourists but many of the stalls had the same things. I spent a pleasant couple of hours there but bought nothing -- and I'm a shopper.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 06:20 AM

I'm not a fan of either of these markets, because you really can't find the type of bargains at either one that you can get in Chiang Mai, or even, at the other street-side markets along Sukhumvit, Silom, etc. That said however, I think as a tourist you would enjoy going to either one of them, Suan Lum is definitely more centrally located-so if you had to choose between the two, I'd go there-also because it will be cooler at night, and you'll be more comfortable looking around. (like I said before, their tourist police office at Suan Lum is oddly made to look like the facade of Angkor Wat).

Jatujak (alternative sp.), on the other hand gets unbearably hot-which is why you have to go very early, if at all. But Jat has gotten quite upscale in the past few years-there are all kinds of coffeeshops, cafes, eating stalls-even ATMs-but it's that heat that will drive you away early. Other markets, as noted, are the Silom/Patpong Rd night markets (there is probably better bargaining to be had here) and Pratunam Mkt., which has an African/Middle East flavor.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Hi spygirl! I'm already going to Chiang Mai. So which among the three bankok markets will be the best choice for me as I only have time to go to one. The Silom/patpong, Pratunam or the Suan Lum? OR is it after you've been to Chiang Mai, there will be no need to go to these other markets? Thanks.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 01:28 PM

I would say the Chiang Mai market is MUCH better than the ones in Bangkok. That doesn't mean that there isn't good shopping in Bangkok, but I don't think the markets are much of anything. The Night Market is fun and still has some good values and a lot of variety. For that matter there is simply terrific shopping all over Chiang Mai as long as you avoid the places where all the tour buses go.

I for one would pass on the Bangkok markets. There is so much else to do there that is much more rewarding.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Hi Martinan! Welll, you WILL feel that way after leaving CM-'cause you'll be leaving with very heavy baggage, I'm sure!

But, going to the markets in Thailand is quite the addictive experience-as well as being a social outlet (this is PARTICULARLY true of CM's Night Mkt.- we would go there to socialize, bargain and shop, chat with people all over, then go and relax at the STarbucks for a few minutes (mind you, I'm no SB fan, but the SB in the middle of CM's N Mkt. makes really better than average coffee drinks!) and then back in again to shop and socialize!

So, I really think you'd enjoy at least walking through the BKK night markets-just so you could compare prices and see what good deals you got in CM! To that end, I would recommend Suan Lum, as Jat Mkt. is more than a bit out of the way-but just walking along the sidewalks of Silom Rd. at night (in addition to sharing the walks with elephants) you'll run into Silom's night markets as well.

You'll enjoy any and all of them, Martinam-I advise going to as many as you can stand!

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Thank you all! I'm leaving for Asia today and will be going to Thailand by the middle of Feb. Will do a report when I get back.