Chatuchak (BANGKOK SHOPPING)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please sugget me regarding this market. What kind of shopping can u find out here.How far is it from bangkok. Is it really worth going here.
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:53 AM

I am not really a shopper. I like shopping for handicrafts and furniture, but it is not a mainstay of any holiday by any stretch of the imagination. However, that being said, I have to say I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE WEEKEND MARKET IN BANGKOK!! I live in Hong Kong and have planned business trips to have meetings on Fridays and Mondays so I can shop in the market on the weekends. Yes it is hot and crowded and it is easy to get lost. But if you have Nancy Chandler's great map (see below), and go with water, a good attitude and preferably by yourself or with someone with a similar attitude, it can be a fantastic experience. You can literally find almost any item at all. Lots of silverware and other tableware items at great prices, good handicrafts, furniture, clothing, toys, souvenirs, you name it. My sister and I were in a restaurant in Bangkok a few years ago and had salads in huge hammered stainless steel bowls which we loved, and sure enough, next day I found them at the market. In my experience, I have not found the same to be true of the night markets. They have some interesting things, to be sure, but seem to be more copy bags and watches, and some handicrafts, but nothing like the extent of items as the weekend market.

It is extremely easy to get there from Bangkok, just take the MTR to the last station, Mo Chit station and follow the crowds, its about a 5 minute walk. The subway ride would be about 20-30 minutes depending on where you are coming from in town. If you buy a lot, you can take taxi back to your hotel, this would cost somewhere between US$25-40 again depending on where you are going.

You can't go to the Weekend Market IMO without "Nancy Chandler's Guide to Bangkok", an invaluable shopping map and brief guide. You can it buy it on the web from her website (Nancychandler.net), or may find it in your bookstore or at Amazon.com. The guide has a specific section and map on what items are located where in the market. Get it now and you can see what types of goods on on offer. Be sure to get the latest editions, as even one a year old can be out of date.

Old May 17th, 2006, 03:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Another thumbs up for the weekend market. I always go when in Bangkok and always leave there with bags of stuff. As Cicerone says, you can find anything there. The prices are the best I've seen anywhere in BKK. Just beware, there is a lot of junk as well as quality stuff. And it IS hot and crowded and can be a trying experience if you're not prepared.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:39 AM

The weekend market is MUCH better than the night markets. I agree with Cicerone, the Nancy Chandler Map is a must. I don't think a Taxi back to your hotel will cost quite as much as she quoted. However, if you purchase a lot, you'll need one. Remember to insist the driver use the meter.
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:19 PM

We got to the weekend market at about 9:30 on a Saturday 4 weeks ago. It was 45 minutes to an hour too early. Only 50% of stalls opened. Yes it is 3-4 degrees cooler bit you likely cannot take more than 2-3 hours so why not go when everything is opened.
It is an experience not to be missed. but quality products are in limited supply at most of the markets.
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:19 AM

The taxi fare should not cost US$25-40. It should be much less.
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:57 AM

Another thumbs up for Chatichak, fabulos wares, amazing experience. Its very well connected by Bangkok's fastest transport, the sky train. Take the train to Mo Chit station, walk down and you're in Chatuchak. If you shop a lot you may want to take a taxi back. Focus on the sections which have home stuff would be my suggestion.
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:05 AM

Thanks for the great insight and information. I'm planning to hit this market at the end of June and I can't wait.
Old May 21st, 2006, 04:05 AM

Taxi Fares:

I live in Bangkok and Phuket.

It would be quite difficult to spend more than US$7 to go even all the way across town. And if you are hauling packages about in the heat - a far better alternative than anything else. Go door to door.
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:05 AM

i find that the shopping elsewhere in bangkok is much better and a lot easier on the body...

it is very hot at this market and there are many many people...one can however buy most anything that you might want here from gems to a new dog or fish...

it is worth a one time trip and is very easy to get to via skytrain
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:47 AM

You can also take the subway, if it is convenient to your location. The stop take to right to the "handicraft" part of the market. Many times this is the only part of the market that we buy at. See the Nancy Chandler map for more information.
Old May 21st, 2006, 04:48 PM

I may have been a bit to negative about the weekend market. While I agree with what I said it is an experience not to be missed. But, the quality is only fair and so if you spend $5-$20USD on an item you rellay cannot go far wrong but larger purchases can be done elsewhere in Bangkok.
The Patpong Night Market has lower quality but it also is an experience worth an hour or so but be very careful of your valuables. From my experience pick pockets is the only real crime and it can be 90% be avoided by just being aware.The artist market at night is a bit different and if after dinner an hour there is better than another night of watching CNN. But, in all the markets 40-50% of the asking price is the maximum. I started at about 30-35% and walked away at 50% and only once at the Weekend Market did they not agree to my final price.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:40 AM

I personally find Chatuchak to be very junky and much better shopping elsewhere in Bangkok too, however as stated it is an experience that you probably should visit once. I did buy some beautiful mangosteen 50 baht for 5 kilos, yum!!