4 days in Vietnam

May 15th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

4 days in Vietnam

Hi everyone. I'm planning to visit Vietnam this July, but have only 4 days off work. Would be great if someone could help me with these questions:

1) Would you recommend North Vietnam (Hanoi and Halong Bay) or Central Vietnam (Hue, Hoi An, My Son)? I'm more inclined to go for Central -- I'm really into ruins, temples, history and culture (Angkor is my favorite place). However, the Hoi An and Hue websites I've seen don't look that great. Plus I've also read great things about Hanoi that make me want to go there. What do you think? Or, can you share any info that can help me decide?

2) The itinerary I've put together so far (for Central Vietnam) is this: Day 1 morning arrive in Danang, train or cab to Hue, sightseeing in Hue (Perfume River, tombs) overnight in Hue; Day 2 train and bus to Hoi An, see Hoi An (old town), overnight in Hoi An; Day 3, visit My Son, overnight in Hoi An; and Day 4 morning back to Danang and out of Vietnam. My question is: is this realistic, given the sights in each place, and travel times between Danang, Hue, Hoi An and My Son? Any suggestions on how to improve this?

Thanks so much and looking forward to ideas!

paulophonic / manila
May 15th, 2006, 06:27 PM

I was in central Vietnam last November...flew from HCM to Hue in the early am, toured perfume river, pagoda, Imperial city and tombs...we left via private car and drove to Hoi An arriving early evening. It was a full day but it allowed us more time in Hoi An which I really loved. check out the Life Resort in Hoi An, very nice, located on the river. Travel time back to Danang was quick. Enjoy!
May 16th, 2006, 11:32 AM

hi paulophonic, any recomendation for tokyo
May 16th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

thanks tmarcLA for the reply! how long did you stay in hoi an? will 1.5 days be enough for the old town and my son? and, how many hours travel is it from hue to hoi an?

trinsalina, sorry but i've never been to tokyo.
May 17th, 2006, 02:47 PM

I spent 4 nights in Hoi An and loved it. The old town is wonderful. Da Nang was the pits. I had the choice of staying in a beach resort or in the town itself, and chose to stay in the town because I loved it so much. U stayed at the Hoi An Hotel and the rooms were fine although the bed was very hard. Nice pool, geat breakfast and only $35 a night (if you like sleeping in, avoid rooms near the school, as it starts with singing at about 6.30 am).

Takes about 10 minutes to walk to the centre of the old town.

I have Hoi An pics posted here: http://community.webshots.com/user/Darius4522
May 18th, 2006, 12:48 AM

we spent 2 days in hoi an...I think 1.5 will give you plenty of time to experience the town...the drive from Hue took 3-4 hours...it was a very nice drive over the mountian...great scenery!
May 18th, 2006, 05:25 AM

Great photos Mitch04-especially, I hate to say it-the food photos.
Somehow your kitchen looks too pristine for the production of those gourmet meals!!
May 20th, 2006, 01:33 AM

albaaust....It looks pretty messy when I am cooking tho!!!
May 20th, 2006, 01:43 AM

Northern Vietnam!!!
My husband and I are in Hanoi right now and it is a wonderful city. 4 days would be the perfect amount of time to see the city and then see either Sapa in the mountains or Halong Bay.
May 20th, 2006, 09:33 AM

We spent 3 weeks in Vietnam a few months back. We loved all of it, even the south, which many people seem to avoid. But if I had four days, I would pick central. I believe that is the best weather time of year there too. We were there during the rainy time. But it took nothing away from our wonderful experience.

It is the least "big city" area and much more of the rural Vietnam that you picture. I also liked the sites there more, overall. Especially if you liked Angkor Wat. The temples and ruins are fablulous.

Your #2 is definately doable. There is much to see around Hue. You could spend all 4 days there. Same with Hoi An. Not so much tons to see, but soaking up the atmosphere. By the way, My Son only takes about a half a day including travel time. So that will free up just a bit more time in Hoi An.

You can hire a boat, or rent a bike, in downtown Hoi An to cruise around the waterways and outskirts and that would be an enjoyable diversion if looking for more to do there.

Have fun!!
May 22nd, 2006, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

wow, thanks everyone for all this info!

so right now i'm confused--north or central?? it really doesn't help that guidebooks say so much about how hanoi and halong bay are such great places, but don't really say much about hue, hoi an and my son... can anyone give me detailed the pros and cons of each??

sigh. if only i had more than 4 days.

question too: is hoi an just like penang and melaka in malaysia (anyone been to all three)??

thanks again and please keep posting!

Search this Thread